Rumour File #6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it Warnock that missed that easy shot at goal against Geelong late in the game that cost us the game. Can't remember if it was Warnock or Hampson. Trade either or both. That missed goal probably ended up costing us a top 4 finish.

How did he cost us the game? :rolleyes:

Had it not been for our inaccurate kicking in the last quarter, we would have won.

Kicking 3.6 to 3.1 cost us the game.

He will be on our list next year, but you're wrong that we have to take him if the bid is too high.

If, for example we thought he was only worth a 4th round pick, and a club bid their first rounder, we would not use our first rounder because of our agreement. We're not going to be held to ransom because of it.

Buckley will be at Carlton, but it's not black and white.
No.

We have to take him - as we have commited to him and he has registered with Carlton/AFL.

He is a certainty to be on our list next season - as has been evidenced by the articles on the Carlton website, CFCTV etc.

We are locked into Dylan - which was a condition of keeping him out of the grasps of the GWS 17 year old intake.

I'm with C4 and naughts on this. Don't know about the legalities of reneging on a commitment like this but I think we have created an expectation and it would be morally wrong to go back on it.

On another front, if we really want Butcher how do you think Port (and Carlton) would view putting Lucas on the table. I know most of this board would be violently against it but we don't have a great deal of clout with the club.

Might be a possible win/win if they want a mid and the Blues must have some confidence in Buckley or they wouldn't have committed in the first place.

Even that might need a sweetener so we could throw in Bower and now I'll quickly run for cover.

Bower and Lucas for Butcher?
Not a trade I'd be happy about, but wouldn't dismiss the balance of it altogether, either.

Buckley? Is the Buckley we committed to 12 months ago, still the Buckley that is there today?
I don't think it's quite as simple as to say that we need to keep to our commitment irrespective of any affecting circumstances.
If he's really not right, I don't think we'd pick him.

We are locked into Dylan - which was a condition of keeping him out of the grasps of the GWS 17 year old intake.

Is this definitive as this is not what has been thrown around previously.

In fact it doesn't quite make sense as why wouldn't any team just force our hand to take him at our first selection?

Is this definitive as this is not what has been thrown around previously.

In fact it doesn't quite make sense as why wouldn't any team just force our hand to take him at our first selection?
This is the great debate - we are afraid teams will force our hand and make us use our first round selection, given this scenario.

We have declared our hand early - which we had to do, it remains to be seen whether other sides will try to exploit this.

It's important to note that GWS cannot bid for F/S selections (Thank God).

This is the great debate - we are afraid teams will force our hand and make us use our first round selection, given this scenario.

Where is the debate C4?

If we have to take him because another club put a call on him, why wouldn't every club want to do so?
We'd have every club in front of us wanting to put a spanner in the works.
If they make a call and we don't counter, they'd have to take him... I think :confused:

If we have to take him because another club put a call on him, why wouldn't every club want to do so?

Thats what the current concern is with the 'sky is falling' brigade.

We're are hoping that clubs do the right thing by us and not bid their first round pick in a deliberate attempt to make us use ours.

We'd like it to go smoothly like the Essendon/North Melbourne Darcy Daniher bids in 2008/9?

We'd have every club in front of us wanting to put a spanner in the works.

Thats correct.

Hopefully they don't do this and the AFL monitors/oversees bids that are submitted in this fashion.

If they make a call and we don't counter, they'd have to take him... I think :confused:

Because we have commited to Dylan, not-countering is no longer an option.

He is a Carlton player regardless of whether he's selected in the first or second round.

You're wrong C4, what is the point of other clubs bidding if we have to take him? The whole bidding process is 1) so that other clubs have a chance of taking father-son players if they rate them much higher than the club they were going to go to and 2) so that clubs who take father-son selections pay a reasonable price for them.

We committed to Buckley in that GWS cannot take him. It does not mean that the other 16 clubs do not get a crack at him.

If another club bid their first rounder for Buckly I would play the bluff and make them take him...
The kid is not worth a first rounder...not even close

Not sure Buckley is going at full pace this season... Does the term 'possum' mean anything to you!!!

Did you ever think he is playing below his best so he will be a 4th round pick??!!

That definitely wouldn't be the case.

The club would never tell him to ease up just so we can get him for later pick.
If any club did that, they should take a long, hard look at themselves.

That definitely wouldn't be the case.

The club would never tell him to ease up just so we can get him for later pick.
If any club did that, they should take a long, hard look at themselves.
But by the same token, the kid is guaranteed a spot on an AFL list, so why wouldn't he concentrate on his schooling and social life with the knowledge that everything will change in about 3 or 4 months time.

If he manages himself, and his body for the future, everyone's a winner.

There were rumours of Pendlebury doing a similar thing before he was picked up.

Again, short memories. It wasn't too long ago that Hampson was dominating the seniors.

This never happened.

Hampson went from being a bloke who was more likely to bit hit in the head then catch the footy. To a bloke who took a few nice marks around the ground. I believe he will continue to get better and turn into a real good footballer, but to say he was dominating was a bit of a stretch.

I'd be all for it if Port were willing to accept Hammer Or Russell + 1st round pick for Butcher. But i cant see it happening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agree, about a 1% chance of happening, but glad we're out there.
That's even if the media reports are to be believed.

Based on the quotes from his manager and parents, it sounds like he's considering a return. I think it's likely he'll stay, but there is a chance he'll decide to come back to Victoria.

Hypothetically, ff he does ask to be traded and if we're interested then I would have thought we'd have a decent chance. He'd probably consider offers from different clubs and then pick the club he wishes to be traded to (similar to what Judd did).
Port would then be forced to trade with this club or risk losing him for free.

Carlton would be an attractive prospect I'd imagine and have a fair bit to offer. How's our salary cap space?

IF* he did move, it wouldn't a be financially motivated move. However we'd definitely have a little space.

Port have first pick in the PSD, Gold Coast 2nd, Brisbane 3rd, Adelaide 4th.
I doubt he'll move. But if he does, it wont be through the drafts.
Which gives the power back to port (pardon the pun).

How did he cost us the game? :rolleyes:

Had it not been for our inaccurate kicking in the last quarter, we would have won.

Kicking 3.6 to 3.1 cost us the game.

He missed that goal 15 mtres out on a slight angle. That missed goal lost us the 4 points and a top 4 finish.

IF* he did move, it wouldn't a be financially motivated move. However we'd definitely have a little space.

Port have first pick in the PSD, Gold Coast 2nd, Brisbane 3rd, Adelaide 4th.
I doubt he'll move. But if he does, it wont be through the drafts.
Which gives the power back to port (pardon the pun).

So in the hypothetical event where Butcher decides to leave and chooses Carlton as his prefered destination and no deal can be done, I guess the ball is in Butcher's court as whether to stay on, walk into the PSD or into the National Draft? Is that how it works?

Yep and get rid of that spud that missed a few sitters in the elim final last year, think his name was Judd or something? :rolleyes:

Surely your not comparing a champion like Judd to a very average player like Warnock. Judd wins us games. He deserves to be in the side. But we need a player like Butcher so why not trade Warnock for Butcher. Butcher is going to be a champion. Warnock has been around the club for a a couple years now and still hasn't shown that he is worth the money Carlton is paying for him.

So in the hypothetical event where Butcher decides to leave and chooses Carlton as his prefered destination and no deal can be done, I guess the ball is in Butcher's court as whether to stay on, walk into the PSD or into the National Draft? Is that how it works?

See Luke Ball from St. kilda > Collingwood 2 seasons ago.
No trade could be done, so he ended up with the Pies at pick 30...

Not because other clubs didn't want him, but why would a club draft a player that does not want to play at their club.

Let's say he nominates Carlton...no trade gets done and goes into the draft.

Port get nothing...
Interstate teams won't use an early pick on a guy they know is going to leave again in 12 months
Will get to the club of his choice....

See Luke Ball from St. kilda > Collingwood 2 seasons ago.
No trade could be done, so he ended up with the Pies at pick 30...

Not because other clubs didn't want him, but why would a club draft a player that does not want to play at their club.

Let's say he nominates Carlton...no trade gets done and goes into the draft.

Port get nothing...
Interstate teams won't use an early pick on a guy they know is going to leave again in 12 months
Will get to the club of his choice....

I agree with what you are saying, but if a player is picked up in a draft isnt it a 2 year minimum deal??

He missed that goal 15 mtres out on a slight angle. That missed goal lost us the 4 points and a top 4 finish.

Hmmmm, was that the goal he missed after the smack to the head he copped?, the same smack that had him spend a week in hospital after the game and have no memory of the kick or incident at all?

:eek:

No.

We have to take him - as we have commited to him and he has registered with Carlton/AFL.

He is a certainty to be on our list next season - as has been evidenced by the articles on the Carlton website, CFCTV etc.

Mate, every father/son is registered with the AFL at some point, how else would other clubs know that they had to bid for them. All it means is that we've agreed to take him as a father/son pick through the normal process, the only difference is that we had to do it earlier than normal thanks to GWS.

The normal processes still apply - if another club bids their first rounder and we don't want to use ours, he goes to them

Fev's latest tweet: @BrendanFevola25 I'm in baldy.

One can only assume that 'baldy' is Judd and he's 'in' the Carlton Football Club.

Discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back