Rumour Rumour File II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think its time for walks to move on, ive loved him for years, but he needs a fresh start! was a pick 2 in a very poor draft, i would only take beau waters above him! his run dash and leap is marvellous but downside of poor disposal, injury & imo the worst tackler in out team is a big concern, yes he has upside but when is enough enough? first 5 games were great this year but has been piss poor there after not consistant enough and will never help us gel a solid 22 when in and out of form so constantly. what is he worth i honestly dont know? pick 10 on a good day psd on another?

I think that it was his attitude towards the other players in the defensive line that was the thing that might have killed his career at the blues. He was always looking for a scapegoat rather than getting on with it and winning the ball back.

Point in case was when he had a pop at Simmo for not spoiling against the opposition ruckman when he (the ruckman) was sent forward to offer an option for them.

well just to throw in another player to this i would not be unhappy to see thornton moved on at this point. i also heard walker signed a new 2 year deal with the blues a few days ago is this true ?.

also to ad the the trade table:
hadley
mclean
thornton
bower = sorry the guy drives me nuts with his poor decisions with the ball
davies

well just to throw in another player to this i would not be unhappy to see thornton moved on at this point. i also heard walker signed a new 2 year deal with the blues a few days ago is this true ?.

also to ad the the trade table:
hadley
mclean
thornton
bower = sorry the guy drives me nuts with his poor decisions with the ball
davies

McLean is staying.
Bower hasnt had the continuity in his game for this year because of the terrible run with the quad injuries he has had.
Davies is a first year player... so I dont see him going either.

Hadley might be on the way out the door, but it could be that the club is going to keep him for depth for another couple of years. And T-Bird is pretty much out of the door now.

McLean is staying.
Bower hasnt had the continuity in his game for this year because of the terrible run with the quad injuries he has had.
Davies is a first year player... so I dont see him going either.

Hadley might be on the way out the door, but it could be that the club is going to keep him for depth for another couple of years. And T-Bird is pretty much out of the door now.

yes true bower has not had as much game time this year as he would have liked I'm sure. But it's just something about the way he moves the ball i don't like his poor choices and the way he panics with the ball. and for the love of god when he kicks across goal as he always does i got to close my eyes.

yes pretty much think thornton has had his days at the blues move him on and hope we get something good in return. hadley well yes move him on also nothing special there. davies yes your right there still new player so i may have been a bit hard on him. Mclean needs to be moved on I'm my book. but you also maybe right in keeping him because no one in there right mind will offer anything good for him as far as trades. we may as well use him if we fall short in the centre with what we already have.

With the speculation about Walker being targetted by the crows. I was trying to work out a deal that would help both clubs. What do you guys think of a straight swap for James Sellar? He could be the KPP you guys could need and one we could let go as we have a surplus of talls. I guess it would come down to how many big guys the crows want to have on the list if Griffin gets traded too.

One failure for another. I'd take the chance. The upside is too much too ignore.

What was said Sin?

EDIT: Just had a look, basically implying Betts will be dropped this week if we get through and he doesn't perform.

I take it the eric pascoe on TC is the same one as here? Sounds like Eddie Betts might be on the outer :(

The CFC saved his life and now he's on the outer?

We'll get a lot of possibilities come up in the next month or so and possibly trade 2 quality players at most.
It doesn't matter what is said during the course of the season as lots of these things fizzle to nothing when crunch time arrives.

The only real overtly logical considerations for our better players would be a Jacobs/Hampson deal and possibly Grigg.
Other than that I wouldn't be surprised to see Thornton and Browne look for greener pastures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did he say? Which thread is it in...I can't find it?

Wouldn't jump to too many scenarios on what EP said - looked more like he was personally disappointed with Eddie's form atm and he should step up this weekend, not some post that the club was going to get rid of Eddie if he had a bad game tomorrow.

think about it - he's been great for the other indigenous kids so he gives them stability, and apart from his form of the last month Eddie's up there with the top 2 or 3 small forwards in the league. Just doesn't make sense at all that he'd be traded

With the speculation about Walker being targetted by the crows. I was trying to work out a deal that would help both clubs. What do you guys think of a straight swap for James Sellar? He could be the KPP you guys could need and one we could let go as we have a surplus of talls. I guess it would come down to how many big guys the crows want to have on the list if Griffin gets traded too.

Sellar might be an interestign option, haven't seen enough of him and not sure that we need another project player, but interesting. I am sure it would significantly cut down on administrative costs for both clubs if we traded a Walker for a Walker...you know it makes sense.

Walker for Sellar ... LMAO.
Hint: You'll need to start off with your 1st round pick and work from there.

Talk about over-rating your own players. Walker is no longer worth a 1st rounder. Hmmm pick 14 for AW or a 18 potential gun kid in a strong draft. Would prefer to chance the draft. Sellar was also a 1st round pick and like Walker hasn't put it all together. Sellar is also younger.

So all of a sudden there is this stigma about Walker that he can't tackle and simply won't be able to build that core strength to get that part of his game back to where it should be. This is something he can work on over the preseason and I'm sure this will be something that will be a focus right across the board, not only just on Walker.

In case you havn't noticed, his shoulders are f***** and he doesn't really have a natural hard attack when playing. Face it he has lost the ability to tackle. When small forwards are shrugging you off when you're right on them that's it.

As I've said, running ability, flexibility, ability to play tall and small, athleticism - leap and ability to take a grab. It's so easy to focus on the negatives of a player and discount their good qualities to suit your argument. To say Walker only brings his running ability to the table shows that you're

a) clearly showing bias in the opinion you've put forward and;
b) you're not willing to form a reasonable assessment on him because you're blinded by his recent performances. Just incredibly short sighted considering he was in fine form in the first half of the year. I don't see any reason why he couldn't recapture that.

What are you on about athleticism? This game is called Australian Rules Football not gymnastics. Sure being a good athlete is a good attribute but what the hell is the point of marking or getting the ball if you're sure to turn it over or make a poor decision that hits a target who is under pressure. Hospital handballs or kicks will show high efficiency in the stat sheets because they hit the target but ultimately turn the ball over and cost the team. He has very little 'footy smarts' and almost always runs into trouble like a headless chicken when he carries the ball. Then when he realizes he's just put himself under pressure, he panics and turns it over. Like Carrazzo, opposition sides don't give him much attention which allows him to get the ball because they know he's not damaging.

As for your 'points':

How can you say I'm biased towards my opinion like as if you're not biased towards yours?

He's played 5 good-ok games this year, plus his debut and a couple in between. I think I'm forming a very reasonable assessment on him given the fact that he's been on the list for 7 years and hasn't done much at all.
This isn't just based on recent performances mate, I'm not happy with his overall output for our club especially for a number 2 draft pick and why should I be?

Admittedly, had the last month or two been a true reflection of Walker's ability to produce his best football at AFL level then I would agree with you. But as I and many others have said, he's out of form and capable of producing quality performances when on his game. That in itself is reason enough to persist with him.

So let's keep him and wait another 3 years before he hits form again for 5 games and injures himself. Just don't forget we played Richmond, Brisbane Essendon and Adelaide in our first five rounds this year. Hardly any decent opposition, I reckon they made him look better than he really is and he didn't even play well against Essendon either (but to be fair the whole team didn't). Against Geelong his opponent was Hawkins. Please anybody could run off that Ken doll wannabe.

According to his father Barrett is off the mark so I'd take it from those who are close to Walks that he will be staying.

Perhaps his father is trying to take a little heat off him. But then again perhaps not, I don't know and I don't really care. Whether he wants to stay or not doesn't change my opinion on him as a footballer. I honestly can't see us winning a premiership with Walker and Carrazzo on our list.

In case you havn't noticed, his shoulders are f***** and he doesn't really have a natural hard attack when playing. Face it he has lost the ability to tackle. When small forwards are shrugging you off when you're right on them that's it.
Injured his shoulder in a contest with Rooke, so I guess he's soft. Walker was flamed by Harley for not getting body on Menzel, yet that was arguably insulting to Menzel's ability and skill. Curiously, the commentators didn't say a word about Hodge pulling up and letting his opponent get a free run at a mark today. I guess you have to be a whipping boy, not a player who everyone has a dose of man love for to be bagged.
What are you on about athleticism? This game is called Australian Rules Football not gymnastics. Sure being a good athlete is a good attribute but what the hell is the point of marking or getting the ball if you're sure to turn it over or make a poor decision that hits a target who is under pressure. Hospital handballs or kicks will show high efficiency in the stat sheets because they hit the target but ultimately turn the ball over and cost the team. He has very little 'footy smarts' and almost always runs into trouble like a headless chicken when he carries the ball. Then when he realizes he's just put himself under pressure, he panics and turns it over. Like Carrazzo, opposition sides don't give him much attention which allows him to get the ball because they know he's not damaging.

As for your 'points':

How can you say I'm biased towards my opinion like as if you're not biased towards yours?

He's played 5 good-ok games this year, plus his debut and a couple in between. I think I'm forming a very reasonable assessment on him given the fact that he's been on the list for 7 years and hasn't done much at all.
This isn't just based on recent performances mate, I'm not happy with his overall output for our club especially for a number 2 draft pick and why should I be?
Walker finished in the top six of our best and fairest as a 20 year old in 2006. I think he's shown more than ability than many give him credit or little credit for. A player who has kicked 34 goals as a defender/wingman/defensive midfielder in his 100 games (many when he was injured in the last three years) clearly has talent. Definitely has more talent than the "he's only played seven good games" mantra which is constantly cut and pasted to criticise Walker. Walker was playing in a poor side as teenager, so the argument he hasn't done much is interesting and harsh given injuries.

Pagan was a terrible coach who had no idea where and how to develop AW, let alone Kennedy and Bower. JR and Bower looked more lost than Walker ever did at the same stage in their careers. If you line JR and Walker up side by side, Walker is easily the better talent because he has x factor, was aggressive, broke the lines and could kick goals. Has played on Brad Johnson, Robertson, Aker, S.Burgoyne and Croad before his shoulders problems reared it's ugly head. JR would have been killed if he had have been given those roles at the same stage in his career. Yet Walker beat all of them except for Brad Johnson who was too strong and powerful for the then 20 year old defender.

The fact Walker was picked at two is only relevant to his draft, not the pick we used. The 2003 draft wasn't a super draft like 2001, 2006 and 2008. We didn't end up with Bradley, Clarke, Tenace and Trotter who were top ten picks.
]So let's keep him and wait another 3 years before he hits form again for 5 games and injures himself. Just don't forget we played Richmond, Brisbane Essendon and Adelaide in our first five rounds this year. Hardly any decent opposition, I reckon they made him look better than he really is and he didn't even play well against Essendon either (but to be fair the whole team didn't). Against Geelong his opponent was Hawkins. Please anybody could run off that Ken doll wannabe.
So he didn't play well against a good team, yet the Geelong game is talked down because he was only playing on Hawkins?

Walker was named in the team of the week on AFL.com.au three times for his performances.
Round 4
Andrew Walker (Carlton) - Helped set the tone against Adelaide before finishing with a career-best 36 disposals, including a match-high 20 effective kicks. He was also the leading rebounder with seven.

Round 10
Andrew Walker (Carlton) - The Blues look a much more balanced team with Walker streaming from defence. Walker had 29 touches, eight marks, and drove the ball inside 50 on five occasions to cause plenty of headaches for the Eagles.

Round 11
Andrew Walker (Carlton) - Walker’s dash again proved vital as Carlton set up its win with a dominant first half. He ran off whenever the opportunity arose and finished with 25 touches, pumping the ball inside 50 on three occasions.
I can recall Walker burning off Watts who isn't slow.

Nice spin.

Walker can only play well against his opponents, rather than pick and choose when he plays well.
Perhaps his father is trying to take a little heat off him. But then again perhaps not, I don't know and I don't really care. Whether he wants to stay or not doesn't change my opinion on him as a footballer. I honestly can't see us winning a premiership with Walker and Carrazzo on our list.
Like many, you probably felt the same way about Toovey, Wellingham, Macaffer and Leigh Brown playing in a flag after 2009.

You're log in clearly isn't Thinks_alot.

Chance Bateman can't kick for shit, but is a premiership player and a run with mid/flanker like Walker.

One of his stuff ups against Freo was a hideous mongrel he directed to a contest at CHB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back