Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you mean C Bolton and Richards
We knew Craig Bolton had talent. Saying that Sydney "have a history of finding talent which other teams can't get out of players" like RUNVS said is just stupid.

We had to let players go to be able to keep our premiership team together. That's why blokes like Bolton, Gram, and Pratt were all let go. None of them were getting an opportunity stuck behind blokes like Michael, Leppitsch, White, Johnson, Pike, Ashcroft, and Scott in the Brisbane backline.

We knew Craig Bolton had talent. Saying that Sydney "have a history of finding talent which other teams can't get out of players" like RUNVS said is just stupid.

But if I remember correctly, in the few games that Bolton played for Brisbane, he was mainly used as a midfield flanker (where he was decent but nothing special), he was a "tweener" that was stuck between being a midfielder and a defender . And we are probably one of the few teams that would play him as a KPP (though he was more like a third tall, but usually takes the best or second best forward for at least half a game apart from this year) and that's where he excelled to the point that he was named All Australian - so I'll say that we definitely got out more of C. Bolton than you guys would have if he stayed. (though luck is also involved since we are such an under-sized team that we are basically forced to try him at a KP)

Ditto Hall, while Hall had talent, with the likes of Gehrig and Riewoldt at St. Kilda, he was never going to be the focal point of the team, and I would argue that if he didn't come to Sydney and stayed down at St. Kilda, he would not achieve as much as he has in the past 3, 4 years. He was even shafted to full back towards the end of his St. Kilda era where he really stank. Yes, we were desperate for a key attacking player, but we deserves some credit for making it work, Hall could easily have been a bust.

I believe we have spoken to Brad Miller from Melbourne. He would be could

i would love to get miller, he looked to be getting back to his best form in 07, after a coupla years where he seemed to have lost his way....miller would be perfect in the heart of our defence, with LRT and c bolton, and the likes of kennelly, the malch and leo running off flanks....
i don't spose troy chaplin would fancy a stint in red and white, geez he was outstanding saturday for the power, and he may feel his job is done there once he pockets a premiership medallion this weekend...

but miller and tenace will do, along with d daniher and c bird

we would be nuts to give away the few younger members of the squad that actually had skills like Dempster and McVeigh. They are the one of the few in the squal that actually are decent kicks - it's their decision making that's the main problem most of the time.

It's the likes of Jude Bolton, Fosdike, Crouch that we should rid - their disposal skills have not improved at all, in fact, they all have decreased in the last few years. Both Jude and Fosdike gets a lot of footy just outside the attacking 50 and more often than not, they will butcher that chance - especially Fosdike with his around the body kick that never actually hits a target. Matthews doesn't count because no one would ever try to trade for him.

The problem is everyone else, especially the Melbourne teams, underrate our players in the market and we are unlikely to get anything useful for trading our fringe players, so I don't see any point. For both Tenace and Miller, I will offer the second round pick, that's all (we have more successes with our third round picks in general anyway).

We shouldn't be trading him.

In my moments of weakness I allow myself to drool over the possibility of a midfield in the not so distant future comprising Goodes, Barlow, Dempster, Malceski and Murphy dominating in the air and spearing balls forward after being fed by Kirk, Schmidt and Amon.

I realise that included Murphy is a lot of wishful thinking but for a quintet of tall, ultra-athletes with pretty good skills, it would be hard to beat.

Gee, you have to give up good/promising players if you want to get something worthwhile in return. Do you really think another club will trade a key position player for one (or a group of) old & slow Sydney midfielders?

i would love to get miller, he looked to be getting back to his best form in 07, after a coupla years where he seemed to have lost his way....miller would be perfect in the heart of our defence, with LRT and c bolton, and the likes of kennelly, the malch and leo running off flanks....
i don't spose troy chaplin would fancy a stint in red and white, geez he was outstanding saturday for the power, and he may feel his job is done there once he pockets a premiership medallion this weekend...

but miller and tenace will do, along with d daniher and c bird

Miller no thanks. He is like a boarding house cup of tea - big and weak.

Tenace, he is quick but is a very, very, very outside midfield winger almost to the point that he plays in the crowd. Would need to toughen up big time. Clearly the reason he doesn't get games at Geelong.

we would be nuts to give away the few younger members of the squad that actually had skills like Dempster and McVeigh. They are the one of the few in the squal that actually are decent kicks - it's their decision making that's the main problem most of the time.

It's the likes of Jude Bolton, Fosdike, Crouch that we should rid - their disposal skills have not improved at all, in fact, they all have decreased in the last few years. Both Jude and Fosdike gets a lot of footy just outside the attacking 50 and more often than not, they will butcher that chance - especially Fosdike with his around the body kick that never actually hits a target. Matthews doesn't count because no one would ever try to trade for him.

The problem is everyone else, especially the Melbourne teams, underrate our players in the market and we are unlikely to get anything useful for trading our fringe players, so I don't see any point. For both Tenace and Miller, I will offer the second round pick, that's all (we have more successes with our third round picks in general anyway).

yeah, okay, i'll give you jude, his skills have gone downhill in the past 2 seasons, but i'd take his heart over mcveigh's alleged skills any day
and i keep wanting dempster to step up, he's got speed and a super boot, but seems to panic
i still think fosdike would be good trade bait to an adelaide club....would port give up troy chaplin for him? heh heh...chaplin was sensational saturday

In my moments of weakness I allow myself to drool over the possibility of a midfield in the not so distant future comprising Goodes, Barlow, Dempster, Malceski and Murphy dominating in the air and spearing balls forward after being fed by Kirk, Schmidt and Amon.

I realise that included Murphy is a lot of wishful thinking but for a quintet of tall, ultra-athletes with pretty good skills, it would be hard to beat.

i take it you're referring to that new irish kid? or did you mean ryan murphy from freo? i don't actually mind docker murphy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah, okay, i'll give you jude, his skills have gone downhill in the past 2 seasons, but i'd take his heart over mcveigh's alleged skills any day
and i keep wanting dempster to step up, he's got speed and a super boot, but seems to panic
i still think fosdike would be good trade bait to an adelaide club....would port give up troy chaplin for him? heh heh...chaplin was sensational saturday

McVeigh had a good 2006 where he showed creativity, good crumbing and evasive skills. He had a tragic first half to 2007 and despite picking up form in the second half, had an average/below average year. But the fact is that the sophomore/second year syndrome is hugely prominant (in any sport, not just the AFL) and a lot of younger players struggle in the year after their break out year. Just don't make him a midfield tagger and leave him in the forward line (he stinks as a tagger because he isn't one and most of his more appalling performances is when he was a tagger).

Look, I hope Jude can return to the form that made him a remote chance of a brownlow in early 2005, but it seems that niggling injuries and the hard yards he've put in in the middle had starting to caught up with him. As we know, his fingers on both hands are 'buggered' and that has eroded both his disposal and marking skills (and especially the latter). To be honest, I want neither of them to be traded because simply we won't get anything decent in return. But I would trade Jude, who's 28 next year with a battered body rather than Dempster or McVeigh who are still on the up with much less miles on their bodies.

Gee, you have to give up good/promising players if you want to get something worthwhile in return. Do you really think another club will trade a key position player for one (or a group of) old & slow Sydney midfielders?

True, but will we get something worthwhile in return if we actually traded Dempster or McVeigh off? We'll probably only get a third or fourth round pick in return for them. We are a bit of an exception to rule because of our good history with utilising late picks, but generally if you can get a 50 gamer out of a third round pick, then you've done well and I rate both of them much higher than that.

AS I said before, I would rather us not enter the trading market this year unless we are forced to (eg. if Jolly wants to go), I will rather take a risk and hope the likes of Jesse White and Grundy develop rather than pay too much for someone like Miller. Tenace is someone I don't mind having, but not at a steep price.

Rather than trying to top up, we should really be looking at how to get the youngsters in our club to reach their potential. The likes of Schmit, Laidlaw, Barlow, Jack, Grundy and Moore last year all showed glimpses of their potential. Rather than trading away our 22-24 years old who are about to enter their prime, we should really be tapping on the shoulders of some of the 27 yrs old+ to take a more back seat role next year and not take a spot on the field when they are injured and playing at 70% of their ability.

If we have to use a trade bait, I would dangle Fosdike - he's a hard running possession getter but not a game breaker nor are his disposals skills great and he might have some trade value, but that's about it.

True, but will we get something worthwhile in return if we actually traded Dempster or McVeigh off? We'll probably only get a third or fourth round pick in return for them. We are a bit of an exception to rule because of our good history with utilising late picks, but generally if you can get a 50 gamer out of a third round pick, then you've done well and I rate both of them much higher than that.

AS I said before, I would rather us not enter the trading market this year unless we are forced to (eg. if Jolly wants to go), I will rather take a risk and hope the likes of Jesse White and Grundy develop rather than pay too much for someone like Miller. Tenace is someone I don't mind having, but not at a steep price.

Rather than trying to top up, we should really be looking at how to get the youngsters in our club to reach their potential. The likes of Schmit, Laidlaw, Barlow, Jack, Grundy and Moore last year all showed glimpses of their potential. Rather than trading away our 22-24 years old who are about to enter their prime, we should really be tapping on the shoulders of some of the 27 yrs old+ to take a more back seat role next year and not take a spot on the field when they are injured and playing at 70% of their ability.

If we have to use a trade bait, I would dangle Fosdike - he's a hard running possession getter but not a game breaker nor are his disposals skills great and he might have some trade value, but that's about it.

I agree. I reckon from what I have seen in the seniors, we have kids with talent. They just need some time.

McVeigh I think has had a lot of time though. 2007 was not really his break out year as such. 2005 was his first year, 2006 his second (it was a good second season, but I dont think it was sensational??).
We will see on him though. Make or break next year perhaps?

As for Dempster, I honestly think that Roos just needs to remove his leash.

That rumour comes up every year, undoubtedly started by Pies fans desperate to think they can get a first round pick for a player most of them don't even rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back