Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember a VFL game this year where I asked about it as i'd never heard of him before. I can't recall why but do remember being extremely impressed with a couple of plays and how clean he was, strong over the ball and how well he covered the ground. I get the sense that he may have been held back a little in the second half of the year. Latish pick, but certainly has some attributes that could transition well to AFL.

Handsome devil.

Type of guy you want dating your daughter. Type of guy who you couldn't get mad at if he got your sister or girlfriend pregnant. You'd just kinda scruff his hair and say 'Oh Rupe! Try and not do the same with my other sister, you cheeky monkey!'

All the best buddy.
I wouldn't let him anywhere near my sister and that's to protect him!

Handsome devil.

Type of guy you want dating your daughter. Type of guy who you couldn't get mad at if he got your sister or girlfriend pregnant. You'd just kinda scruff his hair and say 'Oh Rupe! Try and not do the same with my other sister, you cheeky monkey!'

All the best buddy.

Would you want him to date your daughter if he got your sister and your girlfriend pregnant?

Your family would turn into a maths problem.

I remember a VFL game this year where I asked about it as i'd never heard of him before. I can't recall why but do remember being extremely impressed with a couple of plays and how clean he was, strong over the ball and how well he covered the ground. I get the sense that he may have been held back a little in the second half of the year. Latish pick, but certainly has some attributes that could transition well to AFL.
Hine did say he didn't play much after being concussed (I think about halfway through the year), were you not aware of this or are you suggesting this may have been a ploy to keep him hidden?

Handsome devil.
All the best buddy.

LOL. :p

We have had plenty of VFL players who supporters (including many on here) wanted us to draft yet we didn't. We drafted this kid. That means we know something.

We know more about this kid than just about any other kid we've ever drafted (other than mature aged AFL players). That's enough for me.
Hopefully Harry78955 will read this post ^ and realise you were only having fun before (well, I'm pretty sure you were!!). Given that he only joined BF this month and his 2 posts are in this thread I figured he may well be a close relative of the player, and be a bit sensitive to any (perceived) criticism.

Just because most of us were very surprised Wills was taken, it doesn't mean we won't be 100% behind him now that he's on our AFL list. I hope he goes on to play 200 games for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hine did say he didn't play much after being concussed (I think about halfway through the year), were you not aware of this or are you suggesting this may have been a ploy to keep him hidden?

Looks like that's exactly what Hine was up to

"We were trying to hide him for a bit there, being from our VFL program. He's a little like Brayden Sier, albeit he's a 22-year-old and a bit of late developer. He only played six games in the VFL and he missed a substantial chunk of the season through a concussion injury." - Derek Hine

I like it; BS loading on injuries finally works in our favour; "Concussion? Oooooh, that'll keep you out of action until about November 25th." Two week injury, you see...

A lot of "talk" suggesting that is exactly what we did
Looks like that's exactly what Hine was up to

"We were trying to hide him for a bit there, being from our VFL program. He's a little like Brayden Sier, albeit he's a 22-year-old and a bit of late developer. He only played six games in the VFL and he missed a substantial chunk of the season through a concussion injury." - Derek Hine
Ah, I heard Hine talking on SEN after the draft (I presume this ^ is what he said in that interview) but somehow missed the bit where he actually used the word "hide", and only heard the last part where he mentioned the concussion! It did seem like Wills spent a longer than expected time on the sidelines for that injury, let's hope our little ploy pays off in a big way!

images
I loved Rupert as a kid. Do you know Rupert and the frog song by Paul McCartney?

Boom! It's like Abbott all over again.

In other news, the player will be shit. With a name like his, he should have been a French horn player.
Abbott showed great promise as a very young forward, and did everything he could be asked of in his first year but has had to step away from elite sport due to mental health issues.

So yeah, let's hang **** on him. Charming.

The "Rupert and the Ice Castle" game on Commodore 64 almost ruined my brother's life... until he double-clocked it. Take that Rupert!

Don't really remember seeing him in the VFL, but think I may have caught a couple of his VFL games, against North Ballarat where it was way too wet for anyone to standout and against Footscray where a 2:1 handball:kick ratio suggests he got most of his touches on the inside.

Abbott showed great promise as a very young forward, and did everything he could be asked of in his first year but has had to step away from elite sport due to mental health issues.

So yeah, let's hang **** on him. Charming.

I was talking about the fact that TradeDraft was beaten to the punch on the welcome thread, "by that much". If you'd read my other posts in this thread you would know I have high hopes for this kid.

As you are a regular on this board, you should also know that I am Abbott's biggest fan on here - sorry popin , but I love him more!

You might also have noticed that I am one of the posters on this board who is least likely to insult our players. I'd like to think I'm pretty objective.

There are some angry dudes around these parts these days!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back