Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL no. You do realize who we played, and you do realize how many times he has impersonated a potato irl. Actually I guess you don't. Ignorance is bliss I guess...
He's only played 10 games. Most Collingwood supporters were pretty chuffed with his first 5 in his first season with us, when he played inside mid. He's since looked spuddish in about 3 games where he was strangely asked to play as a CHF. Has he impersonated a potato whilst playing as a mid? Maybe once?

Siers hands are underrated too. He’s pretty sharp.

I think they've both got really good hands but to me the obvious difference is that more often than not Sier is standing in those instances where he's firing off a handpass, Wills is scrapping down in the mud. Sier I'd say does have the better vision or awareness of where his team mates are.

I think they've both got really good hands but to me the obvious difference is that more often than not Sier is standing in those instances where he's firing off a handpass, Wills is scrapping down in the mud. Sier I'd say does have the better vision or awareness of where his team mates are.
You are spot on. I have really high hopes for Sier in the years to come. Can you imagine the player he may have become with 5 years more development? He’ll still only be turning 27 at the end of that season.

So if you have to pick one of Sier and Wills, which would it be?
Overall?

Sier. Just a better player, a good driver in heavy traffic.
To my eye, he’s just had an interrupted season. A big pre season and we should see him at his better play.

This season?
Wills currently offering more.

Either way good for us to have a big strong type supporting Adams doing the grunt work.

Does Wills hold his spot in the 22 come finals?

I reckon he's been an excellent foil on the inside since coming back into the team. His defensive pressure and tackling inside the contest is excellent. It is complimenting Adams and allowing Treloar to be more outside. He even managed to provide an outlet kick a few times tonight on the outside.

Still I have misgivings about him in the heat of finals. He has poor spatial awareness when disposing of the ball and he loses his feet in the contest and when tackling often which could be exploited against better quicker midfields.

Can we risk that? If dropped who replaces him on-ball?

Last edited:
Seemed to also play a niggly lockdown role on one of the Crouch's at the stoppages today. How many times did the ump call out to him to "let go" before restarting play?

Does Wills hold his spot in the 22 come finals?

I reckon he's been an excellent foil on the inside since coming back into the team. He's defensive pressure and tackling inside the contest is excellent. It is complimenting Adams and allowing Treloar to be more outside. He even managed to provide an outlet kick a few times tonight on the outside.

Still I have misgivings about him in the heat of finals. He has poor spatial awareness when disposing of the ball and he loses his feet in the contest and when tackling often which could be exploited against better quicker midfields.

Can we risk that? If dropped who replaces him on-ball?
Interesting misgivings. I suspect he will keep his spot. I am never optimistic about Collingwood injury concerns conveniently resolving themselves on cue. If Wills and the midfield play well again next week, then structurally he will be considered integral to the success of the team.

Has got B.Sier covered by some margin.

On exposed form this year, definitely. Overall though and long-term, definitely not. He's carving out a bit of niche, but I agree with pretty much everything Quicky said. Only thing I'd add is that he isn't a naturally clean player, he double grabbed and fumbled balls that were tapped down his throat a few times tonight.

Still, I'm liking him as a shutdown midfielder, he's works really hard to counteract his natural deficiencies. I think he gets pushed out comes finals to squeeze JDG back in, but he's a decent reserve who will be up with AFL pace if required.

His ability to constantly negate and nag the opposition's best inside mid was a feature today.

It will come unstuck when he begins to give away too many frees or the umpire decides to award against his tactick

It was evident that m.crouch was frustrated and I would say while it was a good overall team effort in negating their mids Wills was quite effective in that role

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naturally, Wills is not a clear best 22 player and one poor performance might bring his season to a close. Many have mentioned Sier as the main competitor but I doubt Sier will come into consideration for the rest of the year. Wills' biggest threat would be De Goey, who is one of many established 22 players who is to be brought in.

I'd love him to stay in and be a part of finals but there's a clear squeeze in the 22 and he'd be one of the first to be pushed out. It's a good dilemma to have right now to be truthful.

Thought he was really good today.
If we didn't win the clearance at a stoppage he made sure that Adelaide didn't win it either and neutralized it.
Thought he played a very important role and played it well.

Say what you like about his individual abilities... but we’re a better team when he’s in it..

We are indeed. We've won all three games in August with Wills back in the side. In fact we've won all six games he's played in this year, including three in May. Not suggesting he has been the key, but he absolutely improves the structure of our midfield and beautifully complements Adams.

While many of us have been wringing our hands over Sier, Wills has been hiding in plain sight. Although some, like Ulahoopski, have been championing him!

I still think Sier is the better footballer, but he has some growing up to do.

Yes, the recent competition has not been great, and Wills may yet be exposed against better sides, but in the meantime we are adding those magical ingredients to our footy - confidence and momentum. And we have a midfield which is finally firing. Wills wont be getting dropped any time soon.

We are indeed. We've won all three games in August with Wills back in the side. In fact we've won all six games he's played in this year, including three in May. Not suggesting he has been the key, but he absolutely improves the structure of our midfield and beautifully complements Adams.

While many of us have been wringing our hands over Sier, Wills has been hiding in plain sight. Although some, like Ulahoopski, have been championing him!

I still think Sier is the better footballer, but he has some growing up to do.

Yes, the recent competition has not been great, and Wills may yet be exposed against better sides, but in the meantime we are adding those magical ingredients to our footy - confidence and momentum. And we have a midfield which is finally firing. Wills wont be getting dropped any time soon.

Spot on again Vicky.

Hope we retain him. Has been impressive depth. Will put pressure on Sier also. As essentially fighting for same spot if something opens up in the best 22.

Knows where to stand around the clearances. Positioning is top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing that shit me yesterday. Commentators saying he should’ve had holding the ball against him. As he was swung around twice. Tackler never had control of him. Has great strength in the contest

Done a good job.

Amazing what can happen when you get an injury free run at it and a couple of games.

A nice handy depth type? Absolutely.
Strong at the tackle.

Earned his call up.

ps always nice competition for spots.

pps ofcourse he could make way for De Goey but still seems a few candidates ahead of him to make way for the return of the real beast. JDG returns week 1 finals.

Mouth watering returns of Jordan and some guy named Jaidyn :) :)

One thing that s**t me yesterday. Commentators saying he should’ve had holding the ball against him. As he was swung around twice. Tackler never had control of him. Has great strength in the contest

I’d be screaming if we’d caught an oppo player like that tbf

One thing that s**t me yesterday. Commentators saying he should’ve had holding the ball against him. As he was swung around twice. Tackler never had control of him. Has great strength in the contest

I reckon youre making up a new rule if you think the tackler has to have control of his opponent.

The umpires like to let these go but when you turn nearly 720 degrees before disposing of the ball you should be pinged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back