Rushed behinds after the siren

Remove this Banner Ad

May 22, 2007
Melbourne Town
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Phnom Penh Utd (curling)
Watching the Swans v Port PF and watching Rioli’s post-siren kick fall about a metre short and be rushed through for a behind got me thinking.

imagine a situation where scores are tied, a few seconds left, a player has the ball 60m out. He centres to a teammate unopposed at the top of the goal square. Mid-flight, the siren sounds. Instead of trying to mark, the player waits and punches the ball over the goal line. Does the score count?

Watching the Swans v Port PF and watching Rioli’s post-siren kick fall about a metre short and be rushed through for a behind got me thinking.

imagine a situation where scores are tied, a few seconds left, a player has the ball 60m out. He centres to a teammate unopposed at the top of the goal square. Mid-flight, the siren sounds. Instead of trying to mark, the player waits and punches the ball over the goal line. Does the score count?
No cant be helped over by your own team

The applicable law preventing this:

16.5 SCORING A GOAL OR BEHIND AFTER PLAY HAS ENDED
16.5.2 Football Touched in Transit

A Behind shall still be recorded under Law 16.5.1 if the football is touched in transit by
another Player, provided the field Umpire is satisfied that the scoring of the Behind was
not assisted by a Player from the same Team.

If the player is a forward like I assume you mean, then the answer is NO.

If they are a defender, apart from wondering.wtf they were doing, the answer is YES.

And.in all of this, umpires can still pay free kicks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rushed behinds after the siren

Remove this Banner Ad

Back