Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
It was interesting that he inherited the house on the Mount from his parents.

Do we know where he went to school, anybody?
It was the first wifes house that she owned before they met. Even though they were seperated when she died he still got the house.

Yes understood, I wonder whether Melanie is going to apply some clutch to his narcisism though.
It did occur to me last night that he would do what IK did when he no longer had control of his destiny.
Hard to know whether his self view is tempered by any consideration for his loved ones feelings.

Keyes gained custody of his daughter and was raising her, he was very protective and thought he had a deal with the FBI where he would release information to them provided his name was kept quiet in order to spare his daughter.

Still killed himself.

What do you think of the release of the interview tapes?
Is it a way of cutting off any future possibility of another jury sitting on the case?

We're seeing the police release more police interviews through high profile cases, so I'm not sure if this is really anything out of the ordinary.

Ill bet you any amount he hasn't got the guts to kneck himself.! 🤤
Especially after what he did to Hill and Clay and especially the overnight dusk
to dawn fire destruction. And even events preceding that. All the images must be stuck in his head somewhere. I don’t believe it would be possible to unsee any of that stuff. I reckon Hill and Clay will be renting space in Lynn’s head for the rest of his days and even moreso if his own mortality was in question.

How would they prove GL had it without admitting it?

It pinged at the same time he was snapped on the camera.

Once the police eliminated all other suspects there’s really only one answer to be deduced.

Where can one access the court transcripts?

Not sure they’re released to the public. I think the best you can hope for is the judgement/sentencing when it’s posted to Austlii.

They usually do it on the same day as sentencing or the day or two after. Sometimes if the crime is that bad they don’t post them at all. But I think given the public interest they’ll post it.

Ah right it’s an anonymous police source not something that the police stated publicly or it being mentioned in trial as a professional medical opinion.

I’ll wait for the judgement and sentencing. Any professional psychological assessment is usually included there.

Where can one access the court transcripts?
Here's a Rulings document from the case. (Rulings 1-4)
Published yesterday.
It's very long.
Below is the Summary.

'RULING 1 — Admissibility of accused’s written statement to police in July 2020, and covert recording of meeting at which statement taken — DPP proposes to lead evidence as proving lies amounting to incriminating conduct — Accused neither cautioned nor advised of right to contact solicitor — Whether police “suspected” accused of unlawfully killing deceased — Whether accused “in custody” of police — Whether accused “under arrest” — Whether evidence “obtained improperly or in contravention of Australian law” — Whether “desirability of admitting the evidence outweighs the undesirability of admitting evidence ... obtained in that way” — Accused “in custody”, “under arrest” and “suspected” of homicide — Failure to caution and advise of rights improper and in contravention of Australian law — Desirability of admitting evidence outweighed by undesirability of admitting evidence obtained in these ways — Evidence excluded — Crimes Act 1958 (Vic), ss 459, 464, 464A & 464C; Evidence Act 2008 (Vic), ss 138 & 139.'

'RULING 2 — Admissibility of ROI conducted in November 2021 — Following arrest, accused largely gave “no comment” answers for two‑and‑a‑half days, then admissions made in afternoon of third day and into fourth day — Whether “admission, and the making of [them], were not influenced by ... oppressive ... conduct [of police] towards” accused — Police engaged in “oppressive conduct” towards accused by numerous questions and remarks, including by deliberately undermining solicitor’s advice to remain silent and accused’s expressed intention to follow that advice — Repeated cautions and opportunities given to seek legal advice rendered ineffectual — Making of admissions in ROI influenced by oppressive conduct by police — ROI inadmissible — Evidence Act 2008 (Vic), s 84 — Unnecessary to decide additional potential bases for exclusion of ROI under ss 85 & 138.'

'RULING 3 — Admissibility of items of evidence obtained or re‑examined following accused’s admissions in ROI — Whether evidence “obtained ... in consequence of an impropriety” — Whether oppressive conduct by police in ROI amounting to “impropriety” — Whether evidence obtained in consequence of improper conduct leading to admissions in ROI — Whether some items of evidence might have been obtained in any event — Whether desirability of admitting evidence outweighs undesirability of admitting evidence obtained in this way — Exclusion of evidence of: (a) search and results thereof near Union Spur Track after ROI; (b) expert opinion concerning testing of shot trajectory and unlikelihood of accused’s version in ROI as to accidental killing of female deceased; and (c) search of campground at Kevington — No exclusion of evidence of: (a) search and results thereof at Bucks Camp after ROI; (b) search and results thereof at Bucks Camp before ROI but re‑examined afterwards; or (c) finding of female deceased’s blood on canopy of male deceased’s vehicle — Evidence Act 2008 (Vic), s 138.'

'RULING 4 — Admissibility of miscellaneous items of evidence — Whether evidence relevant — Whether probative value of evidence outweighed by danger of unfair prejudice to accused — Exclusion of evidence of: (a) accused’s possession of firearms (except one); (b) accused’s possession of hunting knives, daggers, swords, and the like; and (c) listening device recordings of accused’s utterances — No exclusion of evidence of: (a) accused’s possession of 12‑gauge shotgun; (b) paint history of accused’s vehicle; or (c) unsuccessful searches for male deceased’s drone and both deceased’s phones — Evidence Act 2008 (Vic), ss 55, 56 & 137.'

Ah right it’s an anonymous police source not something that the police stated publicly or it being mentioned in trial as a professional medical opinion.

I’ll wait for the judgement and sentencing. Any professional psychological assessment is usually included there.

Yet, it's a very specific term which lends credibility and I can't imagine the police proceeded through to the interview without having Lynn profiled by a forensic psychiatrist/psychologist.

We'll see if and what gives at sentencing.

Especially after what he did to Hill and Clay and especially the overnight dusk
to dawn fire destruction. And even events preceding that. All the images must be stuck in his head somewhere. I don’t believe it would be possible to unsee any of that stuff. I reckon Hill and Clay will be renting space in Lynn’s head for the rest of his days and even moreso if his own mortality was in question.
I doubt he will be haunted by it. More likely will spend the next 25 years reliving it.

I doubt he will be haunted by it. More likely will spend the next 25 years reliving it.

That stuff he was muttering to himself about Queensland and the drone - sounded like he was getting some satisfaction out of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That stuff he was muttering to himself about Queensland and the drone - sounded like he was getting some satisfaction out of it
What he did was totally justified in his mind, I think.

Edit: In fact, I was wondering if there was an issue that caused him aggravation and he took out his anger on "nameless" and in his opinion "useless" and "deserving" people he encountered? I've always thought these weren't his first.

His mumblings recorded should be played to some shrinks for opinion. Or we can be the shrinks LOL? 👀😆
Yeah I’ve always wondered about the content of his drive- time ramblings. Interesting that he talks out loud to himself? Is that a normal thing?

Talking to himself in the car would be the ideal place to start workshopping his story. There would have to be at least some relevant content on those tapes.

Although from what we’ve heard in the press, these ramblings seemed a bit cryptic.

Not sure they’re released to the public. I think the best you can hope for is the judgement/sentencing when it’s posted to Austlii.

They usually do it on the same day as sentencing or the day or two after. Sometimes if the crime is that bad they don’t post them at all. But I think given the public interest they’ll post it.
Thanks, I didn’t think they would be available (yet) but someone above posted above about reading through court transcripts, perhaps they were referring to snippets in the media?

Thanks, I didn’t think they would be available (yet) but someone above posted above about reading through court transcripts, perhaps they were referring to snippets in the media?

As I understood it and I could be completely wrong, unless you’re a party to the proceedings they’re not available to the general public. I’m talking about indictable criminal offences.

What he did was totally justified in his mind, I think.

Edit: In fact, I was wondering if there was an issue that caused him aggravation and he took out his anger on "nameless" and in his opinion "useless" and "deserving" people he encountered? I've always thought these weren't his first.

Yeah not sure on other potential victims. Doesn’t sound like he mentioned anything in his mutterings to himself in his car.

He was so lucky the judge didn’t allow it as evidence. I mean he completely lied to the police when they visited him at Caroline Springs and then he mentions them when he’s talking to himself in the car. If he didn’t come across them how did he know Russell had a drone?

Not sure why GL is complaining it’s cold. The police officer directly in front of him is wearing a short sleeved polo shirt 🤣

Maybe it’s for performative value.

Looks like they gave him some sort of cushy pillow for his back as well, unless I'm seeing things.

Looks like they gave him some sort of cushy pillow for his back as well, unless I'm seeing things.

I think I read it’s a doona. I just don’t get his story on the trajectory of the slug given his story that RH was facing him with his back against the bonnet of the car. Ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

Back