Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
What’s surprising to me is that these calls were made around 6.30 which to me would be around dinner time. Lynn says he has come back to the camp being confronted by Hill and he left it then went over to cook his dinner. So Hill was meant to have the drone on Lynn and confronting him around the same time Hill makes his call and yet no mention of any drama/problems just planning a trip to Dargo the next day.
Lynn has described Hill as a person who was threatening him including going to police but yet here he is not worried about the person he just threatened, calling his friends on the radio and having fun in bed.
Lynn stated he returned to Bucks Camp 'just before dinner'. He then said, that he observed RH place his drone on the ground (adjacent to the driver side of RH vehicle) and RH commenced to operate the drone, raising it to about 10 feet, and then after completing the operation of a few seconds, packed the drone away.

Lynn said to detectives something similar to 'a drone is a camera'. GL then stated he started preparing his dinner and then later decided to approach RH about the drone operation at camp and earlier in the afternoon (said to be about 4:30).

What I got from the 'timetable' was the radio call was made after RH and CC had finished their dinner and packed up what was used (utensils/plates etc). I recall that one of his radio buddies told police that RH would have his dinner before making the nightly call at 6.00. The call on 20th started at 6:00 and ended at 6:40.

I didn't hear or read anything about RH making a call on the 19th; he and CC were at Bucks Camp on 19th as well as 20th.

I believe the RH Bucks Camp drone flight was done after the radio call was completed at 6:40.

I hear what you're saying however I think it's important to differentiate the crimes psychopaths commit compared to non-psychopaths.

A road rage incident typically incites a strong emotional response (rage, often preceded by fear e.g., "I could have been killed", with the rage as the secondary emotion). This if you like would be a crime of passion, reactive. More likely for a person to feel remorse after the event.

Psychopaths on the other hand have little emotional response therefore their crimes are more premeditated and kill in cold blood.
I never said that road rage incidents are linked to psychopaths. I was merely suggesting that rage or outrage at a minor incident is blown out of proportion and reactions of violence against the other person is indicative of an inflated sense of importance and an inability to control violent impulses.

What is 'off the scale' for me is that GL admitted to everything that he had done, post-death of two individuals. He didn't have to give-up the final site of RH and CC, but he chose to do so, thus giving the families of RH and CC the closure to the questions they would have posed to themselves hundreds, possibly thousands of times.

It is very rare that an individual that has been involved in such (self described by GL as) "despicable post-death acts" gives up so much detailed information; this leads me to continually ponder if the details GL gave regarding the pre-death occurrences, actually did occur. A question I continually pose to myself, is why would he give up the post-death details and lie about the pre-death details?

BTW most safes are fire proof for 4 to 5 hours (or more) so anything that was allegedly contained therein at 99 Zig Zag Road, Mt Macedon, would have been located. I am sure that if there were 'secrets' contained within a safe, a copy would have been held elsewhere, like in the hands of a solicitor or estate executor with a request the document/s to be passed on to certain individuals.
Because in his mind, he didn’t murder anyone. He minimised what he did in the aftermath believing that he had valid and understandable reasons for doing what he did.
He didn’t for one minute think about the consequences for their families or his own family.

It is very rare that an individual that has been involved in such (self described by GL as) "despicable post-death acts" gives up so much detailed information; this leads me to continually ponder if the details GL gave regarding the pre-death occurrences, actually did occur. A question I continually pose to myself, is why would he give up the post-death details and lie about the pre-death details?

Robert Durst whose family holdings in real estate was worth $8 billion, was acquitted with a similar tactic after he'd murdered and dismembered his neighbour Morris Black, maybe Lynn watched The Jinx.

Durst now deceased, was almost certainly a serial killer.

Lynn stated he returned to Bucks Camp 'just before dinner'. He then said, that he observed RH place his drone on the ground (adjacent to the driver side of RH vehicle) and RH commenced to operate the drone, raising it to about 10 feet, and then after completing the operation of a few seconds, packed the drone away.

Lynn said to detectives something similar to 'a drone is a camera'. GL then stated he started preparing his dinner and then later decided to approach RH about the drone operation at camp and earlier in the afternoon (said to be about 4:30).

What I got from the 'timetable' was the radio call was made after RH and CC had finished their dinner and packed up what was used (utensils/plates etc). I recall that one of his radio buddies told police that RH would have his dinner before making the nightly call at 6.00. The call on 20th started at 6:00 and ended at 6:40.

I didn't hear or read anything about RH making a call on the 19th; he and CC were at Bucks Camp on 19th as well as 20th.

I believe the RH Bucks Camp drone flight was done after the radio call was completed at 6:40.
If this timing is correct, Hill had Lynn on the drone in the afternoon and was going to approach Lynn when he came back to camp and threaten him with police (according to this time, after the radio call) so why no mention of it to his friend. It was happy days for Hill planning his trip to Dargo. Then after threatening Lynn with police, went on with his night. Makes no sense.

John Sylvester has an article talking with RH daughter, freed from the paywall here.

From the article:

The defence told jurors Lynn had answered all police questions truthfully, but they were not told he had lied constantly in the part of the interview that had been ruled inadmissible.

Interesting Times!
Dann has flagged intention to appeal, on the grounds of 20-25 instances of "not following the rules" during the latter stages of the trial. He raised a lot of red flags, and seeking a stay in the sentencing based on the pathways to appeal. He was reserved in proferring detailed plea based on concerns raised in the trial, the juries responses to those directions, and also their analysis of the patheays that the jurors took to reach the split verdict. Some of that concern regarded the notion that motive could not be proven for CC's murder verdict, based on RH murder charge being found not guilty...given that the Prs. put forward their argument that CC was murdered on the basis of her witnessing the murder of RH.
There is much more to see yet in this trial that keeps giving.
Also, the timing and manner of delivery of the Victim Impact Statements was debated, with Dann having resrvations about their effect on a potential retrial. Also discussed the effect on same due to the subsequent post-verdict reporting of GL's involvement or otherwise in additional crimrs and behavious.
I'll add more soon after i find somewhere warm with food😉😊
I have to say, this is not surprising ‘concern regarded the notion that motive could not be proven for CC's murder verdict, based on RH murder charge being found not guilty...given that the Prs. put forward their argument that CC was murdered on the basis of her witnessing the murder of RH.’
How does this work? Does the jury technically have to believe the Prosecutor’s story or are they able to have their own version?

If this timing is correct, Hill had Lynn on the drone in the afternoon and was going to approach Lynn when he came back to camp and threaten him with police (according to this time, after the radio call) so why no mention of it to his friend. It was happy days for Hill planning his trip to Dargo. Then after threatening Lynn with police, went on with his night. Makes no sense.

GL said he came back around dinner time. Did he say what time dinner was? RH finished up on the radio around 6.40pm. There was no indications of trouble then according to his friends although perhaps he may not have wanted to admit he was operating a drone in the "Gatta and annoying a fellow camper with it over an open channel. I would that's the reason why he didn't mention it on the radio call if it happened prior to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No comparison IMO. Have followed that case for years.

Millions of people have followed that case for years.

The point was, Robert Durst used the same tactic of claiming self defence through the killing, the despicable dismemberment and disposal of Morris Black and he was acquitted, the jury bought the story.

Durst was later found guilty of murdering someone else, while his first wife is presumed to have been murdered by Durst.

You have to consider the possibility that there was additional time between the incidents at Bucks Camp and the dumping of the bodies at Zeka Spur Track. The reason for this is that I believe there was more than we have been told about the treatment of the deceased Clay and of Hill. I wonder if Hill was in fact killed at the camp and not taken alive as there is zero evidence of his being stabbed (aside from Lynn's testimony). I am particularly referring to Lynn's decision to give up the location of the remains and admit to the part he took. He did so with great confidence that no forensic evidence would have been able to be obtained due to his diligent destruction of their bodies and so he could spin his own tale. He would have spent a long time turning them to ash and at great risk, returning on two occasions to deal with them, which of course was one thing that lead to his undoing. I don't think he would have risked that if there was nothing untoward to find, that is that the evidence would have backed up his narrative.

GL said he came back around dinner time. Did he say what time dinner was? RH finished up on the radio around 6.40pm. There was no indications of trouble then according to his friends although perhaps he may not have wanted to admit he was operating a drone in the "Gatta and annoying a fellow camper with it over an open channel. I would that's the reason why he didn't mention it on the radio call if it happened prior to that.
From memory, he said "late afternoon" then corrected himself and said "around dinner time".

I have to say, this is not surprising ‘concern regarded the notion that motive could not be proven for CC's murder verdict, based on RH murder charge being found not guilty...given that the Prs. put forward their argument that CC was murdered on the basis of her witnessing the murder of RH.’
How does this work? Does the jury technically have to believe the Prosecutor’s story or are they able to have their own version?

The split decision was legally flawed. They believed part of what he said, but disbelieved other parts. They half believed both the prosecution and defence versions.

We can all see how they arrived at the split verdicts they did, but that doesn't make them legally safe verdicts. Unfortunately the finding of non-guilt for RH has provided ammunition for appeal on CC.

Some people on here argued that there was proof with CC (bullet frag and skull piece), but none with RH. It was said he could have had a medical episode, genuine accident etc. But as you say above, to find motive for shooting CC, they needed to have determined that RH was murdered.

It was always odd to me that they disbelieved GL's order of the deaths enough to find him guilty for the second death, but then effectively let him off on the motive (first death) for that second death.

The split decision was legally flawed. They believed part of what he said, but disbelieved other parts. They half believed both the prosecution and defence versions.

We can all see how they arrived at the split verdicts they did, but that doesn't make them legally safe verdicts. Unfortunately the finding of non-guilt for RH has provided ammunition for appeal on CC.

Some people on here argued that there was proof with CC (bullet frag and skull piece), but none with RH. It was said he could have had a medical episode, genuine accident etc. But as you say above, to find motive for shooting CC, they needed to have determined that RH was murdered.

It was always odd to me that they disbelieved GL's order of the deaths enough to find him guilty for the second death, but then effectively let him off on the motive (first death) for that second death.

I don't see why there can't be a motive with an accidental death of RH as a result of a confrontation between RH/GL. Either way RH is dead, GL is involved and he is a Jetstar captain. Because they're in such a remote place with the nearest people being 1km + away it becomes easier for GL to dispatch CC as a witness.

From what I can gather though it was Lynn who confronted Hill at Hill's camp around Lynn's dinner time. This may have been after the radio call.

If it was before the radio call it most probably would have been mentioned along with any thought of taking the gun to police aswell, yet despite somehow stupidly leaving an unsafe hunter with a second gun that Hill would have clearly seen but decided against taking.

(Personally I would go with that Lynn shot Hill and Clay in a gunfight as Hill took the other gun if Lynn continues his story, with Lynn in possession of the Baratham, still a murder verdict on Clay but may get manslaughter on Hill).

Only definite would be the drone footage captured and taking it to police, given how passionate Hill was in safe hunting practices. I find it difficult to assume he kept this quiet during the radio call if this was the truthful version of events.

I don't see why there can't be a motive with an accidental death of RH as a result of a confrontation between RH/GL. Either way RH is dead, GL is involved and he is a Jetstar captain. Because they're in such a remote place with the nearest people being 1km + away it becomes easier for GL to dispatch CC as a witness.
That makes sense. So the jury can come up with their own version, accident then murder? I’m confused on this part.

The motive is pretty clear for CC's murder if it happened post RH death even if that really did happen in fight with GL - to eliminate her as a witness.
No evidence to support CC death was after RH. I think there is evidence that CC died first.

I think RH attachment to CC which included his willingness to lie to his own family and friends about his continuance of their long term relationship to me shows he would have attempted to harm anyone he considered had caused harm to CC or to offload blame to someone else if he was involved even by accident. That's what makes me consider CC was accidentally shot by RH and by approaching GL in the manner GL stated, RH was attempting to set the scene to blame GL for CC death and if RH had successfully stabbed and killed GL he would have gone down the self defence road.

RH would have been in uncontrollable emotional turmoil at finding CC had died and he would then have realized the part he had played.

There are so many alternative scenarios.

From what I can gather though it was Lynn who confronted Hill at Hill's camp around Lynn's dinner time. This may have been after the radio call.

If it was before the radio call it most probably would have been mentioned along with any thought of taking the gun to police aswell, yet despite somehow stupidly leaving an unsafe hunter with a second gun that Hill would have clearly seen but decided against taking.

(Personally I would go with that Lynn shot Hill and Clay in a gunfight as Hill took the other gun if Lynn continues his story, with Lynn in possession of the Baratham, still a murder verdict on Clay but may get manslaughter on Hill).

Only definite would be the drone footage captured and taking it to police, given how passionate Hill was in safe hunting practices. I find it difficult to assume he kept this quiet during the radio call if this was the truthful version of events.
Yes I get what you’re saying. Was more meaning that Hill approached Lynn with the drone and threatened to take it to police just before Lynn went over to cook his dinner. Hill is in a rage over the illegal hunting and was going to approach Lynn but never mentioned it to his mate.

To blow off an old ladies head because her partner has died accidentally is just not believable. He just would have had absolutely no need to do that. No job or privileges would have been under threat due to an accident.

Once they decided he had motive to blow CC's head off, there was really only 1 correct set of verdicts - 2 guilty. The next most acceptable set of verdicts was 2 not guilty i.e. believe his story fully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn Guilty for the Murder of Carol Clay

Back