Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn sentenced 34 yrs with a non-parole period of 24 yrs

When will the jury have delivered their decisions of guilty or not guilty on both?

• 1st day

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 2nd day

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Between day 3 and 5

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Over 1 week

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Hung on one or both timeframe unknown

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1 Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

DPP v Lynn [2024] VSCA 62 (12 April 2024) INTERLOCUTORY APPEAL

R v Lynn (Rulings 1-4) [2024] VSC 373 (28 June 2024)

R v Lynn (Rulings 5 & 6) [2024] VSC 375 (28 February 2024)

R v Lynn (Ruling 7) [2024] VSC 376 (8 May 2024)

The Greg Lynn Police Interview Tapes (Shortened Version)

The 3.5 HR Police Interview

THREADS FOR THE HIGH COUNTRY DISAPPEARED
High Country Disappearance of Prison Boss David Prideaux
The Disappearance of Warren Meyer

2008 - Warren Meyer (23 March 2008) not found
2010 - Japp and Annie Viergever (29 March 2010) both shot & 3 dogs, house burnt.
2011 - David Prideaux (5 June 2011) not found
2017 - Kevin Tenant (17 February 2018) shot 3 times, played dead.
2019 - Conrad Whitlock (29 July 2019) not found
2019 - Niels Becker (24 October 2019) not found
2020 - Russell Hill and Carol Clay (20 March 2020) murdered

Lynn's first wife Lisa, was found dead on 26 October 1999.

Last edited:
He covered this I am pretty sure. There needs to be a clear motive for a life sentence and minimal mitigations.

Well he basically gave him a life sentence. He did it very intelligently

No conviction. Croucher acknowledge the defendant had no criminal history.
No conviction was recorded in the matter. Is not the same as we all know.
With consideration of the last 25 years education in DV a matter that was dismissed in 1999, when I'm quite certain Lynn would have trotted out the 'I'm a decent man' defense, would in this day and age be judged and sentenced very differently.

No conviction was recorded in the matter. Is not the same as we all know.
With consideration of the last 25 years education in DV a matter that was dismissed in 1999, when I'm quite certain Lynn would have trotted out the 'I'm a decent man' defense, would in this day and age be judged and sentenced very differently.

In the eyes of the law, it is the same and must be viewed in that way. If judges started going off what they thought personally that would cause huge problems for the justice system in general.

In the eyes of the law, it is the same and must be viewed in that way. If judges started going off what they thought personally that would cause huge problems for the justice system in general.
The Law is an ass.
As we know.
It mattered enough to be mentioned by Croucher in the sentencing.

The Law is an ass.
As we know.
It mattered enough to be mentioned by Croucher in the sentencing.

True.

I think it would have been appropriate in this case to be a factor however there are other cases where it may be inappropriate.

Best to stick by and respect the law on this one which Croucher did by announcing the defendant had no criminal history and thus was not a factor in sentencing.

Dunno if he's going to be into camping, shooting and hunting when he's 79.

As he's been convicted of a crime against a person, I would assume he's lost his gun licence and he's been banned by every gun club?

Correct, he will never have a gun license again. I believe he would have lost it anyway even if he was acquitted of both murders.

No club would accept a convicted murderer either even 24 years down the track.

I reckon he'd be a hermit who lives in isolation upon release. Bet he stores the Patrol and coaxes it back into action for some new adventures in 2048.

True.

I think it would have been appropriate in this case to be a factor however there are other cases where it may be inappropriate.

Best to stick by and respect the law on this one which Croucher did by announcing the defendant had no criminal history and thus was not a factor in sentencing.
Indeed it wasn't as is the law and that is understood but was mentioned which was very important.

I could parse some thoughts here on other content in the comments made by Croucher of his background, such as Lynns religious interactions wiith the Pentacostal church and his 'fostering' children along with his wife down in Tasmania also mentioned. Did he think it was his divine right to kill, that an explanation spoken in tongues would sufice.
That at the time that he was fostering children he was also having to pick asparagus and perhaps that was also a way to get a little extra money in at that time.

The facts that are told in court are not necessarily the only shading of a story.

Add 24 years to the date of his arrest (less one day) and you will have his Projected Parole Eligibility Date

Add 32 years to the date of his arrest (less one day) and you will have his Parole expiry date or his sentence end date if not released on Parole
Croucher made brief mention that if there were 'covid allowances' then they would be applied accordingly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Croucher made sure he stuck exactly to the law throughout the trial but to me it seems he did not believe Lynn’s story for a minute. The way he directed the jury was skilful and even though the evidence was on a knife edge, he guided them to the maximum possible verdict under the circumstances.

Although I would have preferred Life without parole, in comparison to some of the outrageously light sentences others have received for murder or manslaughter (Kamil Yucel is just a recent example in the news), I am somewhat satisfied with the sentence.

I too appreciate the words of Croucher to include the Hill family and friends. I feel the jury was cornered into a 'legalesed' not guilty verdict due to the removal of manslaughter as an option. Irrespective of the official verdict, to me, Lynn is guilty of taking the lives of both victims. His actions after their deaths, intentional, calculated, repeated and horrific are easily worth 25 years in prison. The sentence he is serving is for both Carol and Russell in my view (and I suspect many others). I hope that's a small comfort to the Hill family to know many feel this way.

I missed it too, what was that about, no convictions recorded on earlier charges?

Hopefully the press will expand on it in the next 24 hours, they're probably writing frantically while we post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay Pt 2 *Pilot Greg Lynn sentenced 34 yrs with a non-parole period of 24 yrs

Back