News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Do you keep extrapolating incorrect positions from what people say because you want to continue arguing?

He didn't say Russell is the "only" thing that should change - he just didn't refer to other staff because this thread is about Russell.

Actually no, this thread isn't just about Russell and even if it was, you can still offer up opinion about other aspects of the club

I've stated my position on the situation, perhaps rather than focusing on my thoughts, you could share your position on the matter

Actually no, this thread isn't just about Russell and even if it was, you can still offer up opinion about other aspects of the club

I've stated my position on the situation, perhaps rather than focusing on my thoughts, you could share your position on the matter
I've made my position clear for multiple years now - I don't know if there's better out there, but what I do know is that he's paid handsomely, has been in the role for 6 years, and we haven't seemingly had an edge in running out games, soft tissue injury management during his tenure. Mental resilience seemed to improve in the second half of last year when things finally clicked.

Worth also stating that as the head of high performance, if there's others in the HP team that are not performing, that's still ultimately his responsibility.

The club has done an assessment, so they clearly share my concerns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see changes at the end of the year - particularly if we don't achieve the expected level of success.

I've made my position clear for multiple years now - I don't know if there's better out there, but what I do know is that he's paid handsomely, has been in the role for 6 years, and we haven't seemingly had an edge in running out games, soft tissue injury management during his tenure. Mental resilience seemed to improve in the second half of last year when things finally clicked.

Worth also stating that as the head of high performance, if there's others in the HP team that are not performing, that's still ultimately his responsibility.

The club has done an assessment, so they clearly share my concerns, and I wouldn't be surprised to see changes at the end of the year - particularly if we don't achieve the expected level of success.

Appreciate the response and if this is your position, that's fine, but again, like many others it seems that the focus is only on one person and I see it from a broader view

As stated countless times, I don't think much will change unless we move on from injury prone players. If Russell goes, I hope we make the same tough decisions on those players at the same time

As for not running out games, statistically that's false, like today we outran the opposition, and have done so most weeks

If you also want to direct mental resilience at one person, that's your prerogative, but from my experience there are many people and factors that contribute to belief of individuals and or a team/organisation

I'm confident that I have shared my concerns when it comes to injuries and injury prone players.

People claiming that Russell is poor due to players returning, only to reinjure themselves, yet ignore that other clubs have had similar situations and a longer injury list

Not arguing, I enjoying debating a wide range of subjects on this forum. From drafting, list management, weekly games etc.

And unlike others, i don't need to focus on just the negatives of a loss or create fictional content to press home an opinion

It's great that the club is focusing on high performance, hopefully they are just as diligent on other areas

Cook also eluded to Russell inheriting injury prone players, is he clutching at straws too?

And now shutting down debate, like you believe you have inlocked some gotcha moment, that only one person is at fault and the debate should cease
Tis but a scratch.

Cook said on 3AW today that they had been reviewing the injury issues and were “struggling” to identify the cause and that “extra support” was being organised. I interpreted that as Russell being sidelined and external expertise taking control but may be incorrect. Certainly didn’t sound like a positive endorsement of our injury management even if Cook was quick to say it isn’t all on Russell.

Out of interest, has anyone looked at the injury records of sides involved in round 0 v everybody else?

It’s just a gut feeling, but it seems like us, Collingwood, Brisbane, Richmond, and Melbourne have all had our problems. Of course, the Swans are flying.

But I just thought it might be an interesting question, given clubs don’t have any prior experience on how to manage loads re round 0 and subsequent placement of byes.

Out of interest, has anyone looked at the injury records of sides involved in round 0 v everybody else?

It’s just a gut feeling, but it seems like us, Collingwood, Brisbane, Richmond, and Melbourne have all had our problems. Of course, the Swans are flying.

But I just thought it might be an interesting question, given clubs don’t have any prior experience on how to manage loads re round 0 and subsequent placement of byes.

Certainly mentioned earlier on, you can add GWS to that list too

No offence but that is drawing a very ling bow. We have historically been lousy with extended injury numbers. Starting one week earlier has no bearing what so ever. Just our terrible injury prone players. Only my opinion but hey im just a footy loving pleb.

Appreciate the response and if this is your position, that's fine, but again, like many others it seems that the focus is only on one person and I see it from a broader view

As stated countless times, I don't think much will change unless we move on from injury prone players. If Russell goes, I hope we make the same tough decisions on those players at the same time

As for not running out games, statistically that's false, like today we outran the opposition, and have done so most weeks

If you also want to direct mental resilience at one person, that's your prerogative, but from my experience there are many people and factors that contribute to belief of individuals and or a team/organisation
The concept of a senior leader in an organisation taking responsibility for the actions of their team is hardly a long bow. See recent examples of businesses having a scandal and the CEO resigning (Westpac, PWC, Qantas, Woolworths).

Brad Banducci wasn't doing nightfill, jumping on the tills, and making procurement decisions, but he was responsible for all of the others in his organisation and stood down due to the issues within the organisation he took responsibility for.

In an AFL club it's usually Coach and CEO (or president) who take the most responsibility for failures - but when you dig into specifics, then other heads will inevitably role. You stick your hand up to lead and be responsible for high performance, then you own the lot - good and bad. People implying the good run late was due to good work, but this year's bad run is just bad luck are assessing with rose tinted glasses in support of a role most concede is a bit of an unknown quantity.

The concept of a senior leader in an organisation taking responsibility for the actions of their team is hardly a long bow. See recent examples of businesses having a scandal and the CEO resigning (Westpac, PWC, Qantas, Woolworths).

Brad Banducci wasn't doing nightfill, jumping on the tills, and making procurement decisions, but he was responsible for all of the others in his organisation and stood down due to the issues within the organisation he took responsibility for.

In an AFL club it's usually Coach and CEO (or president) who take the most responsibility for failures - but when you dig into specifics, then other heads will inevitably role. You stick your hand up to lead and be responsible for high performance, then you own the lot - good and bad. People implying the good run late was due to good work, but this year's bad run is just bad luck are assessing with rose tinted glasses in support of a role most concede is a bit of an unknown quantity.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the subject of high performance or injury prone players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what any of this has to do with the subject of high performance or injury prone players
You seem to think Russell has no responsibility for mentality when it's literally part of his job description and self assigned measures of success.

I have never said he doesn't play a part, I said there would be a number of contributors

I mean, why would every club employ a sports psychologist?
Yes, he has a team - which he leads - which means responsibility and accountability when things go wrong.

Really interesting if he is including Cerra and Motlop in that. Everyone said Motlop had a huge pre-season.

And Cerra has only displayed hard work at Freo and Blues.

Must be firing a shot at Martin/Cunners.

Do you think that only one person is responsible for mentality and intent, given the club has a sports psychologist, coach, assistant, development coaches, etc?
I think they all have a level of responsibility, but ULTIMATE responsibility for mentality and psychology is in the Head of High Performance job description (according to the things Russell has said to the media about his role at the club).

My CEO point seems to have conveniently slipped by you, and I respectfully think you're smarter than that and are acting obtuse to continue a debate you don't genuinely believe in.

One person is not responsible for everything but one person is accountable for getting the group to get it right.

Voss handed over more responsibility for gameday strategy but its Voss who is accountable for that decision if it all goes wrong.

Responsibility and accountability are hard for some to understand.

I think they all have a level of responsibility, but ULTIMATE responsibility for mentality and psychology is in the Head of High Performance job description (according to the things Russell has said to the media about his role at the club).

My CEO point seems to have conveniently slipped by you, and I respectfully think you're smarter than that and are acting obtuse to continue a debate you don't genuinely believe in.

You are entitled to your belief, that Russell is responsible for mentality and intent on gameday.

The programs that I have been involved in, don't have that hierarchy structure of a high performance director being the lead role, it's generally the sports psychologist

But let's just say you are correct, would 7 wins and 4 losses this year suggest that it's an area we seem to be better than average, and or better or on par with at least 15 other teams?

You are entitled to your belief, that Russell is responsible for mentality and intent on gameday.

The programs that I have been involved in, don't have that hierarchy structure of a high performance director being the lead role, it's generally the sports psychologist

But let's just say you are correct, would 7 wins and 4 losses this year suggest that it's an area we seem to be better than average, and or better or on par with at least 15 other teams?
Well that's not how our club had the role structured when Russell joined. He was a director role reporting into Brad Lloyd as head of football. Our club psychologist is Tarah Kavanagh who came over from Hawthorne at the same time as Russell.

Well that's not how our club had the role structured when Russell joined. He was a director role reporting into Brad Lloyd as head of football. Our club psychologist is Tarah Kavanagh who came over from Hawthorne at the same time as Russell.

Not sure where you are going with this now, but obviously sports psychology isn't lead by just one person

That's a pretty big comment from a coach, I'm not sure I like it said - clearly there's an issue in the footy dept for this to A. Be an issue and B. To become a talking point in the media.

Assume this is tim Clarke circling the wagons for the strength and conditioning team but if I'm honest if the players aren't professional then that needs to be sorted out in list management at end of year.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back