Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Who played well for the Blues in Round 17 vs the Giants?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie rolled an ankle during the warm up.

This was why he wasn't as mobile as he usually is.

If that was the case, Pitto should have played with TDK resting forward. It's arrogance that you play players with injury at this level especially leg injuries

What I liked: The way we played
What I didn't like: The way we played
What I hated: Watching us in white with them a predominate navy blue kit, orange and Blue don't clash, it was an eyesore watching another club run around in our colours..

We became the hunted again and didn't like it, Cincotta started tagging Cognilio who was doing all his damage in the centre square while Cincotta was in the fwd line? Throw him in the guts and take Walsh out who was getting tagged

Rarely pressures, spoils or chases, gives up on contests if he’s out of position too.

None of this stuff takes skill, I really hope our leaders hit him between the eyes with this stuff
I think perhaps it's fallen into a situation where you perhaps accept it when he's kicking goals/winning. Some sins can be forgiven in situations where the whole outweighs it. However, when he isn't kicking goals and we don't win, it's glaring.

They shouldn't accept things in a win that they wouldn't in a loss. I do hope they hit him between the eyes with it, but I also hope they keep doing it even after a win where he kicks 6 goals.

I mentioned it in just about every post-game thread for the first 6 weeks, Charlie is showing some bad rather habits but he's kicking goals so I'm not sure how critical to be of him. The answer should've been to be critical of the actions, but not of the whole.

Last edited:

The Tackle: Why big-head mentality is poison for Carlton

Whilst I agree with the point of the article that it’s only hubris itself that will prevent us reaching our full potential from this playing group - the point that the perpetually drunk and stupid Mark Robinson misses is how disgracefully underrated and under represented is our 1979-1982 era in the Hall of fame - there quite a few triple premiership players in that group who are not recognised

I think Harry brings the ball to ground more than Charlie, or at least to more favourable positions. There are so many entries where Charlie just does not compete in the air or on the ground.
He wants a lot of balls over the top or he gets in a wrestle - which is a bad idea for him because he's an undersized KPP. At 194cm most key defenders he's on will be bigger than him so will have the reach to get a spoil in. He does draw free kicks in there (much to the hilarious chagrin of the oppo fans) and a lot are warranted, imo he could even get more, but it's not a great way to make a living as a key forward - especially come finals when the whistle suddenly gets a bit tighter from the umps.

For a guy with his athleticism, he rarely ever gets hit up on a lead. I'm not sure his leading patterns & repeat leading efforts are that great.

He wants a lot of balls over the top or he gets in a wrestle - which is a bad idea for him because he's an undersized KPP. At 194cm most key defenders he's on will be bigger than him so will have the reach to get a spoil in. He does draw free kicks in there (much to the hilarious chagrin of the oppo fans) and a lot are warranted, imo he could even get more, but it's not a great way to make a living as a key forward - especially come finals when the whistle suddenly gets a bit tighter from the umps.

For a guy with his athleticism, he rarely ever gets hit up on a lead. I'm not sure his leading patterns & repeat leading efforts are that great.
I'm convinced he's playing hurt. I've been to almost every game in Melbourne since his return from injury, and I tend to keep a close eye on Charlie (probably PTSD around the knee injuries).

Earlier in the season in particular, he looked very proppy, and was slow to get up from a few contests. He's been moving better in recent weeks but the weekend was the worst he's moved in weeks. Looked very slow in a straight line, and agility is non existent.

Just watching him, he's moving probably the worst he has in his career. Marks on the lead are the lowest they've been - 1.9 in 2022, 1.5 last season, only 1.1 this year.

All pretty consistent with a lower leg injury, whether it's knee or ankle.

I'm convinced he's playing hurt. I've been to almost every game in Melbourne since his return from injury, and I tend to keep a close eye on Charlie (probably PTSD around the knee injuries).

Earlier in the season in particular, he looked very proppy, and was slow to get up from a few contests. He's been moving better in recent weeks but the weekend was the worst he's moved in weeks. Looked very slow in a straight line, and agility is non existent.

Just watching him, he's moving probably the worst he has in his career. Marks on the lead are the lowest they've been - 1.9 in 2022, 1.5 last season, only 1.1 this year.

All pretty consistent with a lower leg injury, whether it's knee or ankle.

I think he twisted his ankle last week too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry said in his interview we can take positives out of the game……what were they?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just a few off the top of my head, without going into great detail on stats/thinking about the game a whole lot

We put 50 points on a team in a qtr and our ability to put on an avalanche in short order is the best in the league.

We did fight back in the 4th, may have been too little too late, but we were in with a real shot after Acres goal. A slim one, but a real one.

Individual performances are good, Harrys goal kicking form is huge. Cripps was immense - quiet 3rd qtr but dominated the other 3, almost BoG for me. Williams up forward is still a winner.

We only lost by 2 goals, it wasn't as though it was an 80 drubbing where nothing went right.

9th :tearsofjoy:

GR7EqUgaUAA33nh

Strange game our best for 1 quarter and then our worst for 2 quarters.
I am going to go with injuries changed the game and were why we were so bad ( unless we see a repeat). TDK didn't seem to be able to compete after quarter time. Having said that GWS did get 2 goals in the first off the back of great centre clearances that became the norm after that.

Interesting stats from the game:
They ran 8 kms further ( this is very rare for us) and had 49 more sprints.
Our pressure rating in qtrs 2 and 3 was around 165 theirs was in the 230s. We were clearly out worked
Fastest player on the ground was Crippa 32.4, HH 32.4, Kennedy 32, Walsh 32, Saad 31.7. Crippa's mobility and kicking is so much better than it has ever been in the past.

While CC had his worst game of the season he was doubled teamed which allowed H to get off the chain. For all the criticism for 2 quarters we couldn't get a deep entry to the advantage of our forwards and as a result we couldn't lock the ball in.

GWS were able to dismantle our zone, while we were unable to get uncontested possessions (92 marks -57). Newman wasn't able to set up play like he has done for the last month. We also couldn't force intercepts as their kicks were under virtually no pressure.

As much as I like the prime TDK as a single ruck, playing small means we are only 1 injury to a tall from our structure being critically impacted.

Not the time to over react and make wholesale changes to the team that has got us to 2nd on the ladder. Look at what we need to do better and move on.

Yes, and to all this, I add: Imagine how good his output would be if he did ratchet up to intense effort and pressure (Josh Kennedy comes to mind for how to do it , and also our own Harry shows plenty)

Strange game our best for 1 quarter and then our worst for 2 quarters.
I am going to go with injuries changed the game and were why we were so bad ( unless we see a repeat). TDK didn't seem to be able to compete after quarter time. Having said that GWS did get 2 goals in the first off the back of great centre clearances that became the norm after that.

Interesting stats from the game:
They ran 8 kms further ( this is very rare for us) and had 49 more sprints.
Our pressure rating in qtrs 2 and 3 was around 165 theirs was in the 230s. We were clearly out worked
Fastest player on the ground was Crippa 32.4, HH 32.4, Kennedy 32, Walsh 32, Saad 31.7. Crippa's mobility and kicking is so much better than it has ever been in the past.

While CC had his worst game of the season he was doubled teamed which allowed H to get off the chain. For all the criticism for 2 quarters we couldn't get a deep entry to the advantage of our forwards and as a result we couldn't lock the ball in.

GWS were able to dismantle our zone, while we were unable to get uncontested possessions (92 marks -57). Newman wasn't able to set up play like he has done for the last month. We also couldn't force intercepts as their kicks were under virtually no pressure.

As much as I like the prime TDK as a single ruck, playing small means we are only 1 injury to a tall from our structure being critically impacted.

Not the time to over react and make wholesale changes to the team that has got us to 2nd on the ladder. Look at what we need to do better and move on.
What was our pressure rating for the 1st quarter S7G? To my eye, Giants made us look better than we actually were. Not working as hard as we did for the previous couple of rounds.

Can see that changing for this week.

they aren't, Toby Greene was cited for it earlier this year against the dogs

also:

View attachment 2042481
Hogan gave a great interview after the game. Said he owed Blake, who isa mate from Freo days, a big apology for leaving a footprint on his back and that he didn’t know how he got away with it.

He was unlucky with the mark that wasn’t paid which lead to the Cripps goal. 90 % of the time that gets paid a mark and the MCG bump doesn’t he get paid. About 0.5% of the time that is play on after the spoil.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 17 Blues take a giant step backwards

Back