News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

So, in summation..
  • If a player gets injured: according to some, it's Russell's fault.
  • Despite repeated efforts to get them to explain their position, little more is offered up than to reference the injury list.
  • Engaging in dialogue with these same people sees you accused of drinking the Kool-Aid or provocation.
  • He's now being held accountable for LM decisions.

At some point there needs to be an openness to see things from anothers perspective, otherwise this thread will continue to go around in circles as people continue to seek to validate their own position on the matter at the expense of any meaningful exchange of thoughts or ideas.

Great points, especially that last paragraph

I mean, could you imagine people thinking that their contributions here would force the club to make change

If that was the case, Voss, assistants and Sayers would have been sacked mid season last year

We even had posters setting up change.org petitions last year to garner support for staff to be sacked

How quickly things change

Looks like there are still a lot of posters who cant ever bend in their opinion even with evidence to the contrary where the club admits it needs help in an area that has been highlighted in this thread. and which was the point of this entire thread - raise the focus on an area that needs attention/support/action.

The last desperate posts of the stubborn.

Some posters replied over 50 times negating every single point made. They look a little silly now.

As for whether the Carlton supporter community has an impact on the club, you can only look over at Blue Abroad to see that Luke Sayers and the club are really paying attention.

Looks like there are still a lot of posters who cant ever bend in their opinion even with evidence to the contrary where the club admits it needs help in an area that has been highlighted in this thread. and which was the point of this entire thread - raise the focus on an area that needs attention/support/action.

The last desperate posts of the stubborn.

Some posters replied over 50 times negating every single point made. They look a little silly now.

As for whether the Carlton supporter community has an impact on the club, you can only look over at Blue Abroad to see that Luke Sayers and the club are really paying attention.
When you say posters can't bend their opinion perhaps that's due to the ongoing reoccurring injuries. Yet it's the same people that are defending the HP team with clear evidence the injuries are and have been an issue for years. This includes players without previous soft tissue/overuse injuries like Weitering, O'Keefe, Walsh, Saad, Cottrell to name a few.

The club has since come out confirming they are under resourced in the HP team and are looking at bolstering this area.
Who is responsible for putting together a huge preseason program without sufficient support for the players?

When you say posters can't bend their opinion perhaps that's due to the ongoing reoccurring injuries. Yet it's the same people that are defending the HP team with clear evidence the injuries are and have been an issue for years. This includes players without previous soft tissue/overuse injuries like Weitering, O'Keefe, Walsh, Saad, Cottrell to name a few.

The club has since come out confirming they are under resourced in the HP team and are looking at bolstering this area.
Who is responsible for putting together a huge preseason program without sufficient support for the players?

I think those are the type of questions they are now contemplating internally. We can now support the club as they are throwing attention and resources at solving it. As supporters who care about a winning club (which requires non soft tissue-injured players) we now let the club get on with it and look again at the start of next season for improvement.

So apart from the Saints and Suns, we either have a similar or better injury list compared to other sides

Facts
Taken from here today: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/injury-list
(value 1 is total injuries (excl suspensions which are listed), value 2 is soft tissue (defined as Hamstring/Calf/Groin/Quad/Adductor/Achilles)

Adelaide 8 1
Brisbane 7 1
Carlton 9 5
Collingwood 15 5
Essendon 7 3
Fremantle 8 2
Geelong 7 3
Gold Coast 2 0
GWS 13 9
Hawthorn 8 2
Melbourne 8 4
North Melbourne 7 5
Port Adelaide 6 1
Richmond 16 4
St Kilda 3 0
Sydney 9 1
West Coast 8 3
Western Bulldogs 10 1

Based on this, our total injury list is middle of the pack, but we have more soft tissue injuries (which are arguably more avoidable).

Taken from here today: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/injury-list
(value 1 is total injuries (excl suspensions which are listed), value 2 is soft tissue (defined as Hamstring/Calf/Groin/Quad/Adductor/Achilles)

Adelaide 8 1
Brisbane 7 1
Carlton 9 5
Collingwood 15 5
Essendon 7 3
Fremantle 8 2
Geelong 7 3
Gold Coast 2 0
GWS 13 9
Hawthorn 8 2
Melbourne 8 4
North Melbourne 7 5
Port Adelaide 6 1
Richmond 16 4
St Kilda 3 0
Sydney 9 1
West Coast 8 3
Western Bulldogs 10 1

Based on this, our total injury list is middle of the pack, but we have more soft tissue injuries (which are arguably more avoidable).
Middle of the pack as in the average, good to see that we aren't the worst for total injuries, hopefully it improves back half of the year

Also interesting, people are now not mentioning non soft tissue injuries, like they were earlier in the year

Also great that the club has invested more resources to the high performance department

Great points, especially that last paragraph

I mean, could you imagine people thinking that their contributions here would force the club to make change

If that was the case, Voss, assistants and Sayers would have been sacked mid season last year

We even had posters setting up change.org petitions last year to garner support for staff to be sacked

How quickly things change
Yeah, this made me chortle. Amazing.

I think those are the type of questions they are now contemplating internally. We can now support the club as they are throwing attention and resources at solving it. As supporters who care about a winning club (which requires non soft tissue-injured players) we now let the club get on with it and look again at the start of next season for improvement.

Problem is, we’ve been looking for improvement in this area for well over a decade.
We spent big to get the next “Best in the business” at the end of 2018 to fix the program with many of our perennially injured now still in the early stages of their careers.
There’s been some wins no doubt, but that is more than balanced by many ongoing fails with this season being an epic fail from the HRT so far.
We are in a 4-5 year window of opportunity, looking again at the start of next season for improvement means we are potentially going to have yet another year wasted if the trend continues, decisions need to be made for the next 4-5 seasons now and based on historical and very recent evidence change is very much needed

Clubs have a bad season every now and then which appears to be the argument from some based on some recent responses here, I’ve been waiting for us to have just one good season on the injury front for a very long time. That’s the difference

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive shoutout to Andrew Russell and the High Performance team at the club. The players are running out four quarters better than I have ever seen in my 30ish years following the club. Bravo.

Ryan Gosling Clap GIF

Told you campaigners he is a jet, getting the plaudits he deserves

He took car crash like knee injuries to Charlie Curnow and turned him into the best forward in the game

The club has identified flaws in injury management and has already acted in response.
Hardly a ringing endorsement of Russell - but pleasing that we are investing more resources to resolve a clear problem.
Highly likely our list management team will make a positive impact in this area as well in the off-season.

How do you think he has gone managing Cerra, who has played 6 quarters since the Fremantle game?
I’ve made the point ad nauseam ITT but again - I have a higher chronic volume in the weights room and on the legs than the AFL boys would and I STILL get injuries despite not hitting top end stuff anywhere near as often as they do and without taking hits

I’ve had this year alone:
Bursitis in the foot
Morton’s neuroma
Osteitis pubis

Injuries can just happen despite your best efforts, especially in a game like AFL football

We are doing beautifully

I’ve made the point ad nauseam ITT but again - I have a higher chronic volume in the weights room and on the legs than the AFL boys would and I STILL get injuries despite not hitting top end stuff anywhere near as often as they do and without taking hits

I’ve had this year alone:
Bursitis in the foot
Morton’s neuroma
Osteitis pubis

Injuries can just happen despite your best efforts, especially in a game like AFL football

We are doing beautifully

The club has said they are reviewing this part of the football operations due to its poor performance against the industry average. He is one of the highest paid employees in the industry. Can I suggest we not gloat about how well he is doing just because we’ve had a few weeks where nobody has been injured.

Last edited:
The club has said they are reviewing this part of the football operations due to its poor performance against the industry average. He is one of the highest paid employees in the industry. Can I suggest we not gloat about how well he is doing just because we’ve had a few weeks where nobody has been injured.
All hail Jack! Arf arf arf! We love Jack, we love Jack!

The club has identified flaws in injury management and has already acted in response.
Hardly a ringing endorsement of Russell - but pleasing that we are investing more resources to resolve a clear problem.
Highly likely our list management team will make a positive impact in this area as well in the off-season.

Finally moving on a number of injury prone players will change things dramatically

Adding more resources was well overdue

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back