Toast Ryan Schoenmakers

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe I need some rose coloured glasses like some in this thread, but what I'm seeing is a player who is out positioned and out muscled in nearly every one on one he is in. Unfortunately, he's a much better player rebounding than defending, much better if he can shark a clean ball rather than contest a ball.
I just dont think he's a very good defender.

maybe I need some rose coloured glasses like some in this thread, but what I'm seeing is a player who is out positioned and out muscled in nearly every one on one he is in. Unfortunately, he's a much better player rebounding than defending, much better if he can shark a clean ball rather than contest a ball.
You have to take into account his size and experience. When he plays on forwards of similar experience he does very well defensively.

Can't imagine how good Schoenmakers will be playing on the power forwards in about 3 years time when he has physically developed and almost got 100 games under his belt and is about 95-97kg :thumbsu: :)

I don't think we should fall into the trap of waiting for Schoen to put on weight. We should expect him to be good with or without the added kilos.

Having said that, the idea of him using brute strength to beat his opponent, then his massive tank to run off them and link up out of defence is a tantalising one.

I really enjoyed his game today, and except for a couple of casual disposals towards the end of the game, I think he showed his true strength. Running with the ball, linking up out of defence with repeat efforts, as well as being accountable for a third tall (Howe, Jamar)

Great stuff.

Very happy with Shoeys progress :thumbsu:

Kid shows more each week. Still has the occasional clanger sure, but I feel he will be a star in a season or two.

Really looking forward to a backline with Gilham,Gibbo,Stratts and Shoey :)

Some people see what they want to see, I guess.

Of course, he still struggles at times, but he is not out positioned or out muscled in "nearly every" one on one that he is in.

He's a kid, learning the craft.
No other kid his age and his size, playing in that position is out performing him in the comp.

These so called "special comments" people or commentators of the game still can't see it - or choose not to.

Even after he did a number on Josh Kennedy, I heard the continued sprouting of 'Schoenmakers gets taken to the cleaners by the good forwards'.....then he lines up on the next big thing, Reid, and beats him as well. Goes to a champion forward of the last 10 years, Reiwoldt and once again, does quite well(Roo kicking two gimmees over the top), and just as good, if not better than the majority of so called senior defenders do on him each week. Yet still, I listen to the radio for 5 minutes during the week, Schoenmakers name is called out, and the accompanying statement is "the much maligned".

I'm glad we continue to back him in, and support him. He'll always be up against bigger, and more experienced opponents(for the next 18 months at least), but he's being beaten less and less as the weeks roll on.

Sooner or later the media will catch on, recognise that he's tracking bloody well for a kid of his age, and start to take notice of his development.

Of course, he still struggles at times, but he is not out positioned or out muscled in "nearly every" one on one that he is in.

No other kid his age and his size, playing in that position is out performing him in the comp.

These so called "special comments" people or commentators of the game still can't see it - or choose not to.

Even after he did a number on Josh Kennedy, I heard the continued sprouting of 'Schoenmakers gets taken to the cleaners by the good forwards'.....then he lines up on the next big thing, Reid, and beats him as well. Goes to a champion forward of the last 10 years, Reiwoldt and once again, does quite well(Roo kicking two gimmees over the top), and just as good, if not better than the majority of so called senior defenders do on him each week. Yet still, I listen to the radio for 5 minutes during the week, Schoenmakers name is called out, and the accompanying statement is "the much maligned".

I'm glad we continue to back him in, and support him. He'll always be up against bigger, and more experienced opponents(for the next 18 months at least), but he's being beaten less and less as the weeks roll on.

Sooner or later the media will catch on, recognise that he's tracking bloody well for a kid of his age, and start to take notice of his development.

:thumbsu:

Just as it took the media two years to realise what Brad Sewell was doing around 2005-2007, they won't start seeing Schoey's improvement until 2014.

It's a shame a few here can't see it, though.

'I reckon Schoenmakers is an emerging player.....' - Bruce Mcavaney last night...

He's starting to show glimpses, particularly when the ball hits the deck (after he has broken even in an aerial contest)... still a little slow in decision making but he is on the improve.

He still has a way to go but we are finally seeing him WINNING contests and his CONFIDENCE is improving

Agreed, I think he will be a fantastic backman when he matures in 2 to 3 years time. Just a kid at the moment. Tracking similar to Rance at the Tigers.
Would be more than happy to have him at the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very impressed with Ryan last night.

99% game time, the highest of any Hawthorn player, and only behind Jarred Rivers (who had 100%... poor bastard :p) However Rivers had a piddly 7 touches, while Shoe had 22!

Further testament to the quality of Schoe's game include:
- 8 contested possessions, 2nd highest of our defenders
- 8 marks, tied 2nd highest in the team
- 2 contested marks, tied 2nd highest in the team (and a beautiful sight!)
- 2 clearances, not bad for a KPD haha
- 4 rebound 50s, 3rd highest (1 ahead of Birchall, who is a god rebounder)
- 8 spoils, highest in the team, and double the second player

The only negative I take away from such a well rounded performance is ZERO tackles, for someone with a bit of strength and excellent athleticism I would love to see him landing some crunching tackles, and further improving the defensive side of his game. Anyway, those are some decent stats for a 21yo who is constantly criticised (myself included, more than happy to be eating my own words).

I was critical of the boy early in the season (and I still think he hasn't been tested as much one-on-one since then), but I have been very impressed with how he has gone about his business in the last few games... :thumbsu:

(in my defense, I was one of his big supporters when he first came into the team :p )

Ryan's number will be adorning the backs of any number of young hawk supporters in a couple of seasons. May well be one day mentioned in the same breath as Mew and Knights. Absolutely fantastic prospect coming along very nicely indeed.

Thought he was pretty good although gave Clarke too much space and was caught ball watching on one occassion.

Every week's a tough assignment for him unfortunately.
Not unfortunate at all, for mine. We are witnessing Ryan's education in football every week. Yes, it might be painful at times (more for him than us). But as long as he is learning and we continue to develop the young lad, then that's the most important thing. It might sound harsh, but short term "pain" for long term gain. As has been iterated many times both in this thread and others, Ryan will be a great player for us.

2 out of Clark 3 goals was on Stratton, the other on Gilham, Schoenmakers had 22 disposals and 8 marks. :thumbsu:

His opponent will be Matthew Pavlich next week IMO.

Personally would love to see Schoey run up with Pav all around the ground. Would be a great learning experience running with one of the best players of the decade and he has the skills to match.

Personally would love to see Schoey run up with Pav all around the ground. Would be a great learning experience running with one of the best players of the decade and he has the skills to match.

The thing about Pavlich is when comparing him to Cloke & Hawkins is Pavlich is not as strong, but he is so powerfull of the mark and his athletic ability in the air and at ground level is better then the other two mentioned and certainly Schoey can match Pavlich for strength, I would give him the job of minding Pavlich when he goes forward, when Pavlich plays in the midfield then someone else will get the job on him.

'I reckon Schoenmakers is an emerging player.....' - Bruce Mcavaney last night...

He's starting to show glimpses, particularly when the ball hits the deck (after he has broken even in an aerial contest)... still a little slow in decision making but he is on the improve.

He still has a way to go but we are finally seeing him WINNING contests and his CONFIDENCE is improving
I haven't seen the game yet, but there you go, maybe, just maybe the tide is turning.

He's going to be a keeper, I'm sure!
I just believe that every week he shows more and more promise.

And there would be a long line of clubs keen on getting him if they could.

To get a gun KP Defender would cost the earth, and to get a kid in the draft and develop him would take 3 years or more...

He is starting to come into his own, and showed last night that he can add attack to hid game when Gibbo comes back.

Well done young man and keep up the great work

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Ryan Schoenmakers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back