Ryder/Bellchambers #2 Ruck Duo in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Clear top 4 IMO. However, if you're only counting their ruckwork (which would be weird) then the Essendon duo is easily #2.

Jacobs/Jenkins
Leuenberger/Martin
Kreuzer/Hampson
Jolly/Lynch
Bellchambers/Ryder (4)
Sandilands/Clarke
McIntosh/West
Smith/Dixon
Giles/O'Hailpin
Hale/Roughead
Jamar/Pedersen
Goldstein/Petrie (2)
Lobbe/Redden
Maric/Vickery
McEvoy/Hickey
Mumford/Tippett (3)
Cox/Naitanui (1)
Minson/Cordy
Leuey and Martin at 2? No joke?

I think Bellchambers is really going to flourish and have one of those breakout seasons. He looks like a quality player.

Ryder was disappointing vs the Crows. Finished the night with 4 disposals, 1 mark, 11 hitouts. Did lay 5 tackles but not the kind of numbers you expect from a player who should be entering the elite group of big men.

I think a fit Jamar / Clark would be the next best.

I think people forget how well Clark played last year, if he played a full season, he would have kicked 50 goals plus.

He is the best pure ruckman / forward in the AFL.

Agreed, but Jamar has dropped off a bit, similar to Goldstein in that regard. They've been good, but not AA standard.

Petrie kicked 58 goals last year, and has been in the 40 man AA squad as a ruckman and obviously an AA forward.

The only one on this list.

Ryder and Bellchambers have really grown over the past 18 months.
They have been listening to their coaches and taking all their vitamins.

Yeah, they're one of the better ruck combos, no doubt about it.

It should. Esp if Daniher is ready to go by next year.

Daniher isn't really meant to be a ruckman, though. He's a forward.

Hille will definitely gone by the end of this year, too. Trading either Ryder or Bellchambers would leave our ruck depth pretty thin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a fit Jamar / Clark would be the next best.

I think people forget how well Clark played last year, if he played a full season, he would have kicked 50 goals plus.

He is the best pure ruckman / forward in the AFL.
If Dawes is decent, and maybe Sellar too, I think Clark will play ruck. Pedersen won't get too many chances to impress. Jamar/Clark and Jamar/Sellar are both preferred IMO than Jamar/Pedersen

I think Bellchambers is really going to flourish and have one of those breakout seasons. He looks like a quality player.

Ryder was disappointing vs the Crows. Finished the night with 4 disposals, 1 mark, 11 hitouts. Did lay 5 tackles but not the kind of numbers you expect from a player who should be entering the elite group of big men.
Ryder has been disappointing the last 6 year. has good attributes, great leap and athlete, but haven't been consistent or never really done anything to prove the hype around him

Would have to be one of the following for mine

Hale/Roughead
Ryder/Bellchambers
Mumford/Pyke
Sandilands/Griffin

Goldstein/Currie has potential but will wait to see how Currie goes at AFL level if and when the time comes.

Reckon between Luengerngae Martin and Longer Brisbane will have one of the stronger divisions in the comp in coming years

I'm so going to call him that from now on! Awesome name!

It's not a strength. Neither of them are good up forward.

You do realise that the Essendon ruck pairings over the years have managed more goals than Cox and Naitanui, not as good around the ground but in goal kicking Essendon are right up there.

Essendon 27 goals / 31 games
W/C 52 goals 46 games

Essendon 47 goals / 42 games
W/W 38 goals / 48 games

Essendon 37 goals / 37 games
W/C 19 goals / 44 games

Total
Essendon 111 goals / 110 games
W/C 109 goals / 138 games

You do realise that the Essendon ruck pairings over the years have managed more goals than Cox and Naitanui, not as good around the ground but in goal kicking Essendon are right up there.

Essendon 27 goals / 31 games
W/C 52 goals 46 games

Essendon 47 goals / 42 games
W/W 38 goals / 48 games

Essendon 37 goals / 37 games
W/C 19 goals / 44 games

Total
Essendon 111 goals / 110 games
W/C 109 goals / 138 games

Who cares about what Essendon have done in the past? We're talking about Ryder and Bellchambers.

They could get there, but both are inconsistent - particulary Ryder. Belly has really improved his forward-line play, but neither are as good forward targets as NN or Cox.

Ryder is inconsistent, but that's because his best is brilliant. he might play 6 blinders a season, but those 6 blinders guarantee Essendon the 4 points.

I couldn't disagree more. he smashed Jacobs with the hitouts.

and I have to laugh at the modern day obsession with possessions, like its the be all and end all of how well a player plays. how many possessions did Fletcher, Carlisle, Hocking have? it doesn't matter. ruck work is hitouts, negating the other ruckmans influence and making life tough for the opposition mids. the Ryder/Ballchamber combo smashed it last Friday, the scoreboard it the most important stat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder/Bellchambers #2 Ruck Duo in AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back