Ryder: Time for a stint in the two's mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he played better this week. Was stuffed in the last quarter as were a few others...can't help that with a shortened bench. I was disappointed with T-bell. Kept jumping early and having no effect in the ruck.

If it's any consolation, he's absolutely fuming about the game on Saturday. Hopefully this will give him a bit more fire in the belly.

With Buddy looking at a weeks holiday, I can't see you dropping a player like Ryder when coming up against a team of short people.

I for one am hoping for about 40ml of rain next Friday night.

McGlynn plays for the Swans now.

Kicked 4 against freo then 1.3 against Roos and I thought looked ok. Chased and competed even though entry into the forward line was simply long bombs for much of the day.

If it's any consolation, he's absolutely fuming about the game on Saturday. Hopefully this will give him a bit more fire in the belly.

Fuming about the team performance or his individual performance ?

OP should be dropped to the littlefooty forum for bad posting form, wrong week for this, is finding some form last 2 weeks, along with Hurley finding some early season form now just for Crameri.

Didn't get to watch the game Saturday but I think Crameri has gone missing in the last few weeks, would like to see him move into the CHF role with Gumby or Williams perhaps in the square. Leaves Hurley and Zakka on the flanks, both fit enough to work further up the ground, speed to present for the leads and commitment to the contest at ground level. Haven't been super impressed with monfries, maybe drop him to make space for a davey or reimers with Jetta in the other pocket?

It's too late now. Form has improved up forward and we look better when he is rucking instead of TBell.

Paddy kicked four last week and took 3 or 4 contested marks against North and had 3 shots on goal (would have another mark and goal next to his name if that ****wit umpire didn't pay a free kick to Gus in the goal square instead of awarding a mark).

There were a few horror moments (the dropped mark in North 50 and a time when he didn't compete at ground level) but he blocked a number of times and presented well.

I'd still like to know where the ground level recovery that allowed him such an impact in the ruck in 2009 has gone.

He also looks much better in a side with Hurley which makes me think that at some stage the Hurley, Gumbleton and Ryder trio is going to do some seriosu damage up forward.

Fuming about the team performance or his individual performance ?

Actually both. But he was dirty on himself more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems our fears about Mr Ryder are true after all. Anyone catch OTC with Roos' little bit about how he watched Paddy go about it against Nth?

Many examples shown of him just standing still doing nothing when plenty of contested play is just 10 mtrs away. Paddy not running, Paddy not chasing, Paddy being a slack-arse. It was plain for all to see.

It annoys me that we get such a poor level of commitment during games from such a talented player-one of our most important players. All this, after all that talk from him in pre-season about how fit he was and how he never felt so pumped for a new season with Hirdy in charge etc etc...

IMO he still hasn't got that killer instinct in his approach, even though he is now a pretty experienced player at League level. I looked at Kruiser playing against the Swans and thought "I wish paddy had that look in his eye"...

It seems our fears about Mr Ryder are true after all. Anyone catch OTC with Roos' little bit about how he watched Paddy go about it against Nth?

Many examples shown of him just standing still doing nothing when plenty of contested play is just 10 mtrs away. Paddy not running, Paddy not chasing, Paddy being a slack-arse. It was plain for all to see.

It annoys me that we get such a poor level of commitment during games from such a talented player-one of our most important players. All this, after all that talk from him in pre-season about how fit he was and how he never felt so pumped for a new season with Hirdy in charge etc etc...

IMO he still hasn't got that killer instinct in his approach, even though he is now a pretty experienced player at League level. I looked at Kruiser playing against the Swans and thought "I wish paddy had that look in his eye"...
I think this is what frustrates people most, the year he had to play in the ruck he was the leading the stats in tackles at one stage, second efforts at every contest, yet the footage shown tonight was worthy of him being dropped.
I dont want him dropped but if we see more efforts like that then i dont think there is a choice.

Anyone catch OTC with Roos' little bit about how he watched Paddy go about it against Nth?

Yep. Embarrassing stuff. And what Roos said was correct - you can't dress that up as a laconic style of play. It's just sheer and utter laziness.

The footage they played on fox's on the couch was pretty damning. Very poor work rate.

I hoped that Roos wouldn't go down the path of making comments on the back of a few images.

There were certainly some horrible moments from Ryder vs North, but I hope they showed some of the blocks he put on to balance it out.

I think this is what frustrates people most, the year he had to play in the ruck he was the leading the stats in tackles at one stage, second efforts at every contest, yet the footage shown tonight was worthy of him being dropped.
I dont want him dropped but if we see more efforts like that then i dont think there is a choice.

This is why I don't buy the "Paddy is lazy" arguments.

Something is either confusing the s*** out of him (which is quite possible if he genuinely has no idea about being a leading forward*) or he is carrying something that is affecting his agility and power.

* It is a long shot but, I am just thinking back to my own lack of understanding out on a football field at times, he could be confused by positioning and what is expected of him at certain times. A moment or two of uncertainty and you are not at the play and not far back enough to provide a target. It doesn't sound like an issue most AFL players have but who knows.

Does anyone think it is an option to play Paddy at CHB while Hooker is out?

It might be the kick in the ass he needs as he has said it is not his preferred position even though he played it quite well as a 19 year old under Sheeds, but will make him take one for the team, work hard as he now has an opponent, but also get back to some form with the ball coming to him rather than him make the play?

CHFs can not afford to be lazy and manning up on one may be what Ryder needs to remind him what it takes.

When Hooker returns, Ryder resumes fwd/ruck with intent after being locked up in defence for a month.

Does anyone think it is an option to play Paddy at CHB while Hooker is out?

It might be the kick in the ass he needs as he has said it is not his preferred position even though he played it quite well as a 19 year old under Sheeds, but will make him take one for the team, work hard as he now has an opponent, but also get back to some form with the ball coming to him rather than him make the play?

CHFs can not afford to be lazy and manning up on one may be what Ryder needs to remind him what it takes.

When Hooker returns, Ryder resumes fwd/ruck with intent after being locked up in defence for a month.

I'd save it for when there is a Riewoldt or Brown to play on and use it more as a learning exercise.

The graphic on the Fox Footy coverage listed Paddy as 23 (not even 24 yet).

Bad habbits need to be ground out, there is no doubt, but this is still a young player we are talking about. That doesn't protect him from being dropped but he isn't being treated by fans as you'd expect a 23 yo ruckman to be treated.

Meh, if Paddy kicks straight (which he ususally does) he kicks 4 goals. That'd be 8 goals in two weeks and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm sure if you focused on other Essendon players workrates you'd notice that they would all be down on what they should be.

Meh, if Paddy kicks straight (which he ususally does) he kicks 4 goals. That'd be 8 goals in two weeks and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm sure if you focused on other Essendon players workrates you'd notice that they would all be down on what they should be.

Hear hear.

So...if Paddy was playing for Collingwood atm, do we all think that Mick would say...

" Paddy, those blocks you did were really good and those couple of goals you kicked were really handy too. I'm not so worried about you going at less than 100% intencity for the whole match..you just go hard when you want and don't bother chasing all the time. Just have a go in most marking and spoiling and tackling contests and we'll get by with your 70% efforts."

??

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder: Time for a stint in the two's mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back