matthew_357

Debutant
Jul 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Harry Kewell
I know they're long gone now, and its silly to be reminiscing about the past but was just wondering what everyone's opinion was on which was the better game (obviously in terms of excitement and the finish of the game etc)...

Davo against Geelong was something special but that was a game we were probably expected to win compared to West Coast in 06, where Magic's goal reaction still remains as my phone wallpaper to this day.

??

Both were exciting but definitely 05 semi. I was at the ground and the atmosphere in that last quarter was nothing like i've ever seen or heard before.

Also, i can't watch the 06 QF. Knowing that just a few weeks later we lose to them in the GF, it's too upsetting to watch.

I reckon the 2006 QF was one of the most intense and exciting games the Swans have been involved in. And other than the 2005 GF, I'd rate it their best performance of recent years. In some ways it was even better given that it was played on a ground where the Eagles almost never lose but I guess the higher stakes in the GF mean you can't go past that.

In contrast, the Swans were absolutely woeful in the first half of the 2005 SF and only marginally better in the 2nd. It was really just four pieces of magic in the final quarter, and to some extent Geelong going into their shell, which have turned it into the folklore it's become for Swans fans. Sure, it still gives me goosebumps watching it, but that is only because of the tension, knowing what the stakes were, and, of course, knowing the result.

I reckon the 2006 QF was one of the most intense and exciting games the Swans have been involved in. And other than the 2005 GF, I'd rate it their best performance of recent years. In some ways it was even better given that it was played on a ground where the Eagles almost never lose but I guess the higher stakes in the GF mean you can't go past that.

In contrast, the Swans were absolutely woeful in the first half of the 2005 SF and only marginally better in the 2nd. It was really just four pieces of magic in the final quarter, and to some extent Geelong going into their shell, which have turned it into the folklore it's become for Swans fans. Sure, it still gives me goosebumps watching it, but that is only because of the tension, knowing what the stakes were, and, of course, knowing the result.

yeah, the 06 QF was an outstanding game, quality-wise, and a brilliant finish
the geelong semi-final in 05 was an awful game, but now part of club folklore
in terms of quality, our last quarter in the prelim final win over saints in 05 was one of our best, in my opinion (having watched it again on the weekend)
i can't recall too many similar occasions under paul roos where, against the odds and against a quality opposition, we simply dominated
and that shot of matt maguire sitting in the stands, looking close to tears, after we'd gone 33 points up was just perfect
the second quarter seven-goal blitz of port in adelaide in the 03 QF was close, but with what was at stake, and it being the last quarter, the saints game for me

Both were exciting but definitely 05 semi. I was at the ground and the atmosphere in that last quarter was nothing like i've ever seen or heard before.

Also, i can't watch the 06 QF. Knowing that just a few weeks later we lose to them in the GF, it's too upsetting to watch.

I'll say ditto

05 Semi was made better because of the way we won it and the fact we went on to win the Premiership two weeks later. Like nat, being there is something I'll never forget (going from accepting yet another season was over to 5 minutes of pure drama hopeing for a goal to win it). Just seeing Nick Davis tapping the ball before he directed onto his foot brings back the trill of the moment. He was always going for the goal and he was always going to kick it.

The 06 QF was a great match in pure football terms and was better than the 05 Semi, but it was ruined a little bit by the fact we lost the rematch 3 weeks later. Still I would the 03 QF better than the 06 one because we blew Port out of the water in that one in the first half and held on when NOBODY expected us to.

I'll say ditto

05 Semi was made better because of the way we won it and the fact we went on to win the Premiership two weeks later. Like nat, being there is something I'll never forget (going from accepting yet another season was over to 5 minutes of pure drama hopeing for a goal to win it). Just seeing Nick Davis tapping the ball before he directed onto his foot brings back the trill of the moment. He was always going for the goal and he was always going to kick it.

The 06 QF was a great match in pure football terms and was better than the 05 Semi, but it was ruined a little bit by the fact we lost the rematch 3 weeks later. Still I would the 03 QF better than the 06 one because we blew Port out of the water in that one in the first half and held on when NOBODY expected us to.

on that geelong game, and it's a point that i still can't talk about without getting really cranky
when non-swans fans, on BF or in the real world, are discussing great goals, freak goals, goal-of-the-year contenders, no one mentions davis' matchwinner from that game, yet it remains possibly one of the most remarkable individual goals i've ever seen
i think it rates with daniel wells' goal, it beats the heckin'g shite out of matthew lloyd's "joke" goal of the year backheel, and for sheer brilliant co-ordination under pressure like almost no other situation, it stands alone
running at full tilt, while watching the ruck contest AND trying to judge where the ball would go, in a massively congested goalmouth knowing there's seconds to go and a season is on the line, what davis did to even get the ball near his boot will, to me, always be one of the greatest individual goals

Gah, did you have to make me choose? Its like choosing between who I love the most, my mum or dad.

There's only a thin lining between the 2005 SF and the 2006 QF. I choose 2005 SF.

2006 Q.F.

The rush I got was intense. It was a closely contested game, with free football, whereas the 2005 S.F was a little scrappy. Nick Davis just doesn't win out on this one :)

definately qualifying 06...purely because i was there and we won...and even though i was outnumbered in the crowd 1000 to 1 it didnt matter because i was the happiest person there and all the wc fans got to wollow in their sorrow hehehe

until some 40 year old beefy guy verbally abused me and threatened to bash me up simply because we won and i was only 15 at the time :O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck in round 1 but Saints are the form team guys, so you couldn't have asked for a tougher round 1 game than Geelong.

I was watching the "nick davis come to save us" clip on you tube and that was some game and some atmosphere!. that shot of the fans get up out of their seats along the Boundary line when Hall kicked the ball along the ground to keep it in was amazing for Sydney fans, I'm getting that game on DVD as well as the Saints V Brisbane game at the dome in 2004 (who can forget). It was a few years ago but it goes to show how far the game has come and how much bigger it will get up there. I've been fascinated by the AFL expansion plans and the prospect of 2 more local derbies. I can see a local rivalry developing before West Sydney take the ground.

And that QF was pretty tense. That footage of Micky O kicking the winning goal and going within inches of that WC CHEER SQUAD FAN's face captured everything I love about the game. Passion.

It will be a landmark day for the game and AFL when 80,000 Sydney-siders turn up to homebush for a Local Derby. Good to see Swannies getting crowds over 60,000 in ANZ so keep up the good work.:thumbsu:

GO YOU MIGHTY SAINTS

Good luck in round 1 but Saints are the form team guys, so you couldn't have asked for a tougher round 1 game than Geelong.

I was watching the "nick davis come to save us" clip on you tube and that was some game and some atmosphere!. that shot of the fans get up out of their seats along the Boundary line when Hall kicked the ball along the ground to keep it in was amazing for Sydney fans, I'm getting that game on DVD as well as the Saints V Brisbane game at the dome in 2004 (who can forget). It was a few years ago but it goes to show how far the game has come and how much bigger it will get up there. I've been fascinated by the AFL expansion plans and the prospect of 2 more local derbies. I can see a local rivalry developing before West Sydney take the ground.

And that QF was pretty tense. That footage of Micky O kicking the winning goal and going within inches of that WC CHEER SQUAD FAN's face captured everything I love about the game. Passion.

It will be a landmark day for the game and AFL when 80,000 Sydney-siders turn up to homebush for a Local Derby. Good to see Swannies getting crowds over 60,000 in ANZ so keep up the good work.:thumbsu:

GO YOU MIGHTY SAINTS
remember 2005 prelim.

And 2004 semi.

Mate what's your deal?

We have people from other teams in our board so what's your problem?

And 2004 semi.

Mate what's your deal?

We have people from other teams in our board so what's your problem?

2004 semi was horrribleee. That was the first time i had gone interstate for a game and haha, the whole thing was really bad but when i look back at it now it was all pretty funny, especially the part where we had to hide from this Swans supporter at Avalon airport.

2004 semi was horrribleee. That was the first time i had gone interstate for a game and haha, the whole thing was really bad but when i look back at it now it was all pretty funny, especially the part where we had to hide from this Swans supporter at Avalon airport.
I was there too, Benny broke his ankle in the 2nd term after restricting Harvey to 3 possesions to that point, then Harvey easily broke Ablett's tag to get 26 possies for the game. Big Fraser dominated Schualbs for six, Milne kicked four on Bevan and the second half from memory was just disgraceful...

I was there too, Benny broke his ankle in the 2nd term after restricting Harvey to 3 possesions to that point, then Harvey easily broke Ablett's tag to get 26 possies for the game. Big Fraser dominated Schualbs for six, Milne kicked four on Bevan and the second half from memory was just disgraceful...

Your memory is way better then mine. The only thing i can remember from the game was us kicking a goal down my end, right in front and after that i thought if we'd just get a few goals we could do it. But like 30 seconds later we gave away a free kick and they got a goal, then a few more after that.

Didn't Willo get injured early in the game too?

Mostly I remember the pelting rain and a headache from hell after the game.

Didn't Willo get injured early in the game too?

Mostly I remember the pelting rain and a headache from hell after the game.
yes liz
it was a wet night and baker took advantage of the conditions to slide in and give matthews a massive corky,which put him out for the rest of the night.
it was reminisent of the cowards attack by king on craig o'brien in the 96 GF.

it was a baker at his worst.

sorry to all for losing it with a saints poster

yes liz
it was a wet night and baker took advantage of the conditions to slide in and give matthews a massive corky,which put him out for the rest of the night.
it was reminisent of the cowards attack by king on craig o'brien in the 96 GF.

it was a baker at his worst.

sorry to all for losing it with a saints poster
sorry i meant willo not matthews

The game is definitely worth buying. I find it funny watching the 3rd quarter and seeing how frustrated they were all getting, especially Adam Goodes. There were a few times where he is in the background shot and looks like he is just about ready to have a breakdown, haha. I think we all felt that during the 3rd quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

S.F 05 or Q.F 06?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back