Saints take Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

Zac was never a backman and is better in the forward line. I wish him all the best at the saints, a change of environment and a second opportunity could be just what he needs.

Personally I think the Saints have done okay.

Seems like a low risk investment to me so I don't see the big deal. He's been in the AFL system so he knows what's required unlike most rookies.

If SOS thinks he can do something with him who are we to argue?

Saints are heading down the old Sydney trail of looking for players at other clubs that haven't been given the right opportunities to display their wares.

So are the Tigers, only thing is the Tigers forgot Roos philosophy is to get good quality people, in Hislop and Benny the Tigers have two very questionable characters. Bit of a worry for them.

Seems like a low risk investment to me so I don't see the big deal. He's been in the AFL system so he knows what's required unlike most rookies.

If SOS thinks he can do something with him who are we to argue?

SOS thought he could do something with Luke Livingston too.

Dawson is a spud just like Livingston.

Go Zac. I hope you have a great career at the Saints.

I think the saints aren't playing to much for him, he's tall, filled out to be a good size now and have been in the system for 4-5 years so could be ready to shine at another club.

I hope he can become a regular AFL player for the Saints and show the big footy community he isn't a hack and has been judged harshly based on a couple of games early in his career when he wasn't ready for it.

Re: Zac Dawson to the Saints... oh god

hahaha dawson would be your starting FB and you know it!! carlton have no defense hence why you will not get close in 2009 or 2010 or 2011.
Err no, Jamison would still be our fullback, and Thornton, Waite and Bower would be our other tall defenders. O'hAilpin would also get a game before Zac.

Having said that, Dawson comes under the category of players who you hope stick it up everybody for the crap he has had to cop.

Wish him all the best but damn its hard to forget those monsterings he copped from the better KPP's.
He really was thrown into the deep end and shouldnt forget that might actually start to pay off soon. No point doing it if u arnt prepared to wait it out. Might be a good decison to pick him up within 2yrs.

PLUS..always good to see another young guy on the verge of missing out getting a repreive and another chance to show his stuff.

CAN kick from what i remember...with that young FF prospect they have getting injured again they might even try him up fwd.

Err no, Jamison would still be our fullback, and Thornton, Waite and Bower would be our other tall defenders. O'hAilpin would also get a game before Zac.

Having said that, Dawson comes under the category of players who you hope stick it up everybody for the crap he has had to cop.

Hang on jamison, thornton, oalphin Bower??? they are all shite for AFL standard..... seriously carlton have serious problems with KKP defenders I think you should put waite down back.

But then whos CHF???

*&^%$ I reckon Zac mightve been a good option for the blues today considering....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on jamison, thornton, oalphin Bower??? they are all shite for AFL standard..... seriously carlton have serious problems with KKP defenders I think you should put waite down back.

But then whos CHF???

*&^%$ I reckon Zac mightve been a good option for the blues today considering....
Best not to say anything that to say something from a position of ignorance.

Jamison and Bower are two rated youngsters who have shown plenty in 2008. Thornton has runs on the board as far as keeping Jonathan Brown in check and owning Lloyd on a couple of occasions. Dawson is NOT better than any of these guys on what has been shown to date.

As for Waite, he has been playing CHB for the past season and a half, do try to keep up. He won Victorian selection at CHB last year in fact.

CHF is still a problem but Waite will not be used there unless Mark Austin steps up in defence.

CHF will be rotated between Fisher, Kreuzer, Cloke, Walker, Hartlett and Edwards depending on matchups.

Good luck to the kid, as this thread shows he's copped so much shit since those first few games. All at the age of 18-19.
I wish people would lay off of him. He has a long reach, can kick, has a bit of mongrel about him and can take a grab.
The thing about Zac is that he just looks like he doesn't give a toss some of the time, but he was a more than handy FB at VFL level and deserves another go.

For those lining up to have a swing it must be remembered that he played on Fev three times in his career from memory and his best return was 3 goals. Yet everytime Dawson was mentioned the BF crowd would jump on and gloat about how many goals Fev would kick on him.

He may not be the next Darren Glass, but the kids got something worth checking out a second time, and the saints aint losing nothing in trying to see it.

So are the Tigers, only thing is the Tigers forgot Roos philosophy is to get good quality people, in Hislop and Benny the Tigers have two very questionable characters. Bit of a worry for them.

Tigers listed recently listed recyled players:
Cousins
McMahon
Kingsley
Polak
Brown
Tuck
Kane Johnson
Adam Thomson
Troy Simmonds
Tom Hislop

That's a fair few!

Then Look at St Kilda:
Colm Begley
Zac Dawson
Aaron Fiora
Jason Gram
Farren Ray
Adam Schneider
Stephen King
Demptser
Charlier Gardiner
Michael Gardiner

Both clubs seem to have a real interest in recycling players.

Compare it to the two grand final sides from 08:

Hawks
Guerra
Dew
Gilham
Smith
Croad (sort of)

Geelong
Harley
Hunt
Mooney

These two sides have put work into developing players from within. Suggests maybe that recycling players maybe isn't the best approach/

These two sides have put work into developing players from within. Suggests maybe that recycling players maybe isn't the best approach/

I think you need a larger sample set when drawing conclusions like that.

Just keep him away from Pebbles and he will be fine. :p

Seriously though, good luck to the kid on his second chance.

Hopefully he can give something back to the Saints for putting faith in him.

Seriously, I think he will prove a few people wrong IF they let him settle down into one position for a while.

That position is in the forward line. We didn't retain him because we have enough forwards waiting in the wings.

Good luck to Zac. I won't be surprised if he turns out to be a handy forward line option for the Saints, especially with teams worrying about Riewoldt and Kosi. He has also been schooled for years down back so the defensive instinct will help him up forward too. Pity we did so much of the work and the Saints will get someone who will be able to play senior footy from day one.

The change will do him the world of good.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints take Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back