SALADA/VladFL: Slap on the wrist. - STRICTLY ESSENDON SUPPORTERS ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robbo has just said that he does not believe that Bruce Reid would ever ever do any of the things he has been accused of. He questioned how the league could possibly accuse Reid of breaching his duty of care to the players.

He is now talking on SEN about the AFL commission hearing the charges. He is getting quite fired up in relation to Schwartz's comments

Robbo has just said that he does not believe that Bruce Reid would ever ever do any of the things he has been accused of. He questioned how the league could possibly accuse Reid of breaching his duty of care to the players.

I've said it before, accusing reid is the biggest disgrace of the whole ordeal, he's got a spotless record inside and outside of essendon for more than 30 years. It's deplorable

Please Explain: Why Essendon should do a deal with the AFL now
  • by: Glenn McFarlane
  • August 15, 2013 1:41PM

DEAR Paul Little and the Essendon board,
We appreciate how hard you are fighting to protect the club that you love, but the cold, hard reality is that it is time to negotiate a deal with the AFL before it is too late.
Your passion for your club is admirable, but the way you are articulating it is not.
Your aggressive attitude and inability to acknowledge any fault by your club is putting Essendon at risk of being whacked even harder.
The time is right to sit down and sort out a settlement that is in the best long-term interest of the club, however unpalatable that might be.
There is no time to waste. The clock is ticking.

Right now, you don’t seem to be willing to cop anything – from the potential loss of premiership points, to the loss of future draft picks, to a crippling fine, to the possible suspension of the four key officials charged on Tuesday with bringing the game into disrepute.
Forget about the premiership points. They should be the least of your issues. You can’t win this year’s flag anyway. Your players have been incredibly resilient, but the signs of the past three weeks prove they are cooked.
By all means, you are well within your rights to fight for the protection of the reputations of James Hird, Mark Thompson, Dr Bruce Reid and Danny Corcoran.
And if you believe in them, as you clearly do, you should be prepared to back your men, who have undoubtedly made a great contribution to the game over many, many years.
But the best way to do that is through a negotiated settlement rather than arming yourselves with lawyers and threatening to take the AFL – and the game – to court.
That would create a runaway train impossible to stop. It would lead to a protracted, messy and financially crippling legal dispute unprecedented in our great game.
And it would drive a wedge between one of the most famous clubs in Australian sport and its governing body, not to mention the other 17 clubs of the competition.
As Leigh Matthews will attest, you can’t beat City Hall. The AFL will always get you in the end.
For the sake of this club that has been in existence since 1871 and has played such a significant and proud role in our game, take a big whack now - not a bigger one later.
You cannot escape that. You never will. And that’s why the AFL will whack you now, or later, depending on your next move.
Regardless of what might happen in court, a penalty is going to happen at some stage, and it is better for you to have a say in the punishment.
If you do play finals this season – something the AFL would clearly prefer not to happen – your form says you are unlikely to go past week one.
So here's my tip. Offer to sacrifice this year’s finals premiership points. Give up on the finals. Start afresh in Round 1 next season with a group that Jobe Watson maintains has been galvanised by the experience of 2013.
Take the fine that might come your way. Chances are, it will be less than the legal fees that you will need if you want to take the AFL to court.
Then there is the matter of draft picks. This looms as the biggie.
If the AFL finds the club guilty of bringing the game into disrepute, you can forget about any meaningful draft selections over the next three years.
If you do a deal now, you could try to wipe out this year’s national draft, which won’t kill you as a footy club.
The 2013 national draft is a solid one, but loses its depth after the top 10 or so selections. But next year’s draft is reportedly a cracker.
So it might be wise to try to gain some access to the next year’s draft and even more access to the 2015 selections.
As distasteful as a deal with the AFL might look to those at the club right now, and as much as the fans are prepared for the fight, you must know the club's best option is to do a deal before August 26 – and return to the fold as a chastened club still on reasonably solid footing rather than one that has been stripped of everything.
Yours Sincerely,
Glenn McFarlane

illK6U.gif

I've said it before, accusing reid is the biggest disgrace of the whole ordeal, he's got a spotless record inside and outside of essendon for more than 30 years. It's deplorable
Isn't that what a bully does pick on the weakest link. The AFL didn't reckon on the support we have to give unlike other clubs we look after our own

This mexican drug story is total bullocks.

I notice this 'report/story' came out soon after we all found out the AFL can not use the interim ASADA report to hand down penalties to Essendon & the staff.

I was at Windy Hill today and the players were all joking about. smiles everywhere. I believe the players after finding out no sanctions for now have their mojo back.

The club was in very high spirits this afternoon.

So to sum it up, this mexican drug report/story is made up. Non existent.

I had a good chat with Seb Costello. He is bewildered why Dr Bruce Reid got charged. And he agreed with me about the same thing with Bomber Thompson. They both tried to stop whatever happened.

I have all the confidence in the world that all 4 staff members will get off with just a warning. The club MAY get a fine & MAY lose SOME draft picks, but for the life of me, I can not see them getting any other penalties at the end of all this mess.

Its all good and well for McFarlane to say roll over but if you know you're in the right and done nothing wrong why the $%^& should you??!!

Th AFL are bullies hell bent on justifying their handling of this with a scalp, the deeper they get the more desperate they get. They operate by a set of rules and standards that wouldnt stand up for 10 seconds in a real court.

I was allways taught to fight for what you know is right and defend yourself and reputation. Essendon, Hird etc should do the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some funny shit in the last few pages

Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour
Oh but Keyser, according to some, we aren't even allowed to joke about it. It just shows how delusional we are!!!!!1111

I mean, seriously, and 'scuse the French, but feck off. It has been a very testing six months as a supporter, regardless of what outsiders would think, and if we didn't joke about it sometimes, we'd all have gone mad by now.

That's not targeted at you at all, by the way, just at the attitude of a few others I've seen around the traps.

Ribbon just told someone to get his head out of his arse in relation to comments about Bruce Reid. Robbi just said to the bloke so 'what has Bruce Reid done?' then when the caller went back to what Caro has said Robbo said and you know this for a fact? The caller then went quiet.

Anyway did anyone pick up on something Fletcher said as he was leaving the club yesterday. He was asked about the players being vindicated over the result. Fletcher answered that the players have not taken any banned substances and when questioned further made the comment 'that we know more than you do about this'. He smiled then got in his car.

He was certainly very very confident.

Hird refused offer to save colleagues

Date
August 15, 2013 - 6:06PM

Caroline Wilson

Chief Football Writer for The Age

Essendon's threat to take on the AFL Commission in an open court is "terrifying for the competition", reports chief football writer Caroline Wilson.

Essendon coach James Hird refused an AFL offer to plead guilty alone to misconduct charges which would have spared club doctor Bruce Reid, Mark Thompson and Danny Corcoran from facing the commission.
With Hird and his club now openly at war with the competition's governing body, it is understood that the AFL expected on Monday that Hird would be the only individual still at the club to face charges emanating from the 2011-12 drugs program.
The negotiation was to have seen Reid and Corcoran resign from Essendon at the end of the season. Instead both men, along with senior assistant Thompson, chose to stand alongside Hird and fight the misconduct charges.
Essendon and Hird were to have been charged on Monday but legal wrangling stalled the announcement until 7.30 pm Tuesday, with the Bombers seething at what they regarded as divisive tactics by the AFL designed to drive a wedge between Hird and his three long-time colleagues.
Thompson, like Hird an Essendon premiership captain who coached Geelong to two flags, has also vowed to erase any lingering stain on his name. He is regarded as less culpable than Hird but has also chosen to fight the misconduct charges laid against him.
Hird said on Wednesday: "The four of us are probably identified as (part of) the blackest day in Australian sport now, so we take that very seriously.
"I'm pretty shattered really – shattered to be charged for bringing the game into disrepute that I love and cherish and respect so much. I think we have a look at our options, we're obviously going to defend ourselves vigorously.
"We've got to contend the charges, we've got to make sure we're proven not guilty, and we'll go from there."
Essendon regards the loss of premiership points as a massive hurdle in any successful negotiation with the AFL. No club in the history of the competition has been stripped of points and the Bombers appear determined to avoid that damaging stigma.
Neither party on Thursday ruled out the possibility of the dispute going to court, or Essendon taking out a legal injunction and refusing to face the commission on August 26.

Seriously, how the heck did they come up with this story title if not to, once again, paint Hirdy as the devil?

Don't know how it will take years in court

Our lawyers: so Asada doesn't have enough evidence of any banned substances for any sanctions to be made
Vlad: but but they brought the game into disrepute
Our lawyers:??
Vlad: yea they almost took banned substances.. Oh gawd where's my maccas

Oh but Keyser, according to some, we aren't even allowed to joke about it. It just shows how delusional we are!!!!!1111

I mean, seriously, and 'scuse the French, but feck off. It has been a very testing six months as a supporter, regardless of what outsiders would think, and if we didn't joke about it sometimes, we'd all have gone mad by now.

This mexican story is so absurd it can only be laughed at

Hird refused offer to save colleagues

Date
August 15, 2013 - 6:06PM

Caroline Wilson

Chief Football Writer for The Age

Essendon's threat to take on the AFL Commission in an open court is "terrifying for the competition", reports chief football writer Caroline Wilson.

Essendon coach James Hird refused an AFL offer to plead guilty alone to misconduct charges which would have spared club doctor Bruce Reid, Mark Thompson and Danny Corcoran from facing the commission.
With Hird and his club now openly at war with the competition's governing body, it is understood that the AFL expected on Monday that Hird would be the only individual still at the club to face charges emanating from the 2011-12 drugs program.
The negotiation was to have seen Reid and Corcoran resign from Essendon at the end of the season. Instead both men, along with senior assistant Thompson, chose to stand alongside Hird and fight the misconduct charges.
Essendon and Hird were to have been charged on Monday but legal wrangling stalled the announcement until 7.30 pm Tuesday, with the Bombers seething at what they regarded as divisive tactics by the AFL designed to drive a wedge between Hird and his three long-time colleagues.
Thompson, like Hird an Essendon premiership captain who coached Geelong to two flags, has also vowed to erase any lingering stain on his name. He is regarded as less culpable than Hird but has also chosen to fight the misconduct charges laid against him.
Hird said on Wednesday: "The four of us are probably identified as (part of) the blackest day in Australian sport now, so we take that very seriously.
"I'm pretty shattered really – shattered to be charged for bringing the game into disrepute that I love and cherish and respect so much. I think we have a look at our options, we're obviously going to defend ourselves vigorously.
"We've got to contend the charges, we've got to make sure we're proven not guilty, and we'll go from there."
Essendon regards the loss of premiership points as a massive hurdle in any successful negotiation with the AFL. No club in the history of the competition has been stripped of points and the Bombers appear determined to avoid that damaging stigma.
Neither party on Thursday ruled out the possibility of the dispute going to court, or Essendon taking out a legal injunction and refusing to face the commission on August 26.

Sounds like hird didn't fall for the afl scare tactics, makes the afl look like dicks more than hird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back