SALADA/VladFL: Slap on the wrist. - STRICTLY ESSENDON SUPPORTERS ONLY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is out of contract at the end of this season Yaco?
Senior list:
Ashby, Jason - 2014
Baguley, Mark - 2015
Bellchambers, Tom - 2013 - Recently said he wants to stay at the club without being asked
Browne, Alex - 2013 - Parents seemed happy enough
Carlisle, Jake - 2015
Colyer, Travis - 2013 - Would like him to stay, may not feel he is getting enough opportunity
Crameri, Stewart - 2013 - Parents seemed happy enough, if he left it would not be because of Hird
Daniher, Joe - 2014
Davey, Alwyn - 2013 - No major loss if he wanted to leave
Davis, Luke - 2013 - No major loss if he wanted to leave
Dell'Olio, Corey - 2013 - No major loss if he wanted to leave
Dempsey, Courtenay - 2015
Fletcher, Dustin - 2013 - Behind Hirdy all the way
Gumbleton, Scott - 2013 - May not feel he is getting enough opportunity
Gleeson, Martin - 2014
Goddard, Brendon - 2016
Gregory, Sean - 2014
Hams, Will - 2014
Hardingham, Kyle - 2013 - Would like him to stay, not a major loss if he left
Heppell, Dyson - 2015
Hibberd, Michael - 2014
Hille, David - 2013 - Almost a certainty to be retiring at end of year
Hocking, Heath - 2014
Hooker, Cale - 2013 - Must re-sign, if he left I'd think it'd have more to be to do with being up for trade last year
Howlett, Ben - 2014
Hurley, Michael - 2017
Jetta, Leroy - 2014
Kommer, Nicholas - 2014
Kavanagh, Elliott - 2015
Lovett-Murray, Nathan - 2013 - Possible retirement, right behind Hird
Melksham, Jake - 2015
Merrett, Jackson - 2015
Myers, David - 2014
O'Brien, Nicholas - 2013- May not feel he is getting enough opportunity
Pears, Tayte - 2013- May not feel he is getting enough opportunity
Ryder, Patrick - 2016
Stanton, Brent - 2015
Van Unen, Dylan - 2014
Watson, Jobe - 2017
Winderlich, Jason - 2013 - Behind Hirdy all the way
Zaharakis, David - 2014

I really can't see a major issue to do with Hird, unless we are talking of players breaking contract.

Which raises the question, why haven't they?

And that's where this starts and ends for me.

I agree, and I think we're fine, but S0 is no longer a factor at all for us.

Senior list:

I really can't see a major issue to do with Hird, unless we are talking of players breaking contract.

For me it comes down to the volume of players we lose that are uncontracted.

Lose 3 of them and it is workable, lose say 7 of them and it starts to really hit our depth.

Plus you underestimate Davey. If he can't get 2 more games this season then he needs to play on.

Some of you don't read the tea leaves. No 32 is Tim Watson. Watson is a power broker at the club. Tim clearly stated on SEN yesterday that James must be finding it hard to coach at the moment and should consider standing down.

Chips article in The Australian - It would be crazy to consider the loss of points - We may as well not consider playing.

And no-one can answer why so many players are out of contract - Can we not see that this is VITAL.

The same or less amount of players as any other year are out of contract. I remember the same debate last year pre trade/draft people complaining guys weren't signed up.

You need flexibility with the list going into these periods. And this is especially the case in a year when some doubt hangs over the picks we will be getting and when they will be. We may want to move players on for picks if we lose picks, we may want to keep players if we only need to take the regular picks. Some guy who is arguing a contract with another club about his contract might be made available and we might prefer to have a crack at them rather than overpay Crameri just because we were desperate to sign everyone bar 3-4 before the end of the season...

In any season it is stupid to expect the club to say "ok, 4 picks this year and we want to keep all of you except...". In the climate the club finds itself in (with question marks however small) over the picks we'll get it is absolutely and absurdly stark raving bonkers.

The same or less amount of players as any other year are out of contract. I remember the same debate last year pre trade/draft people complaining guys weren't signed up.

You need flexibility with the list going into these periods. And this is especially the case in a year when some doubt hangs over the picks we will be getting and when they will be. We may want to move players on for picks if we lose picks, we may want to keep players if we only need to take the regular picks. Some guy who is arguing a contract with another club about his contract might be made available and we might prefer to have a crack at them rather than overpay Crameri just because we were desperate to sign everyone bar 3-4 before the end of the season...

In any season it is stupid to expect the club to say "ok, 4 picks this year and we want to keep all of you except...". In the climate the club finds itself in (with question marks however small) over the picks we'll get it is absolutely and absurdly stark raving bonkers.

You dont have so many core players uncontracted at this time of the year.

This is the issue.

Not about Hird or Demetriou or Barack Obama.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what you're saying is...

If the company where you worked was guilty of Governance issues, but you didn't work directly in the department where the problems occurred, you'd be ok if you were made a scapegoat and you lost your job? Even if you and the company both felt you were 100% innocent?

No

You really think that is the situation that Hird finds himself in? That he is completely without blame in this?

Anyway, I am not looking to argue about this, things just need to be sorted & sorted fast.

Anyone care to reassure me here (or give me some reasons as to why it is not happening)? Very little is coming out of the players lately considering their early boisterous backing of Hird and the club. Possibly the only thing that has me worried.

This is basically the only backing I have seen over the past two weeks. A retweet by Goddard (embed didn't work, imaged it).

vzg1.jpg

Are you serious.

They are uncontracted - Have not re-signed.

Only two of them are core players at the moment. Hooker and tbell.

Couple of youngsters who havnt been able to get a game and some old guys that would struggle to get a contract elsewhere. Not the end of days.

I do agree with you on draft picks though, however I don't think throwing our greatest living player under the bus to keep them is worth it. There are some things you don't do.

Only two of them are core players at the moment. Hooker and tbell.

Couple of youngsters who havnt been able to get a game and some old guys that would struggle to get a contract elsewhere. Not the end of days.

I do agree with you on draft picks though, however I don't think throwing our greatest living player under the bus to keep them is worth it. There are some things you don't do.
Think you are forgetting Crameri.

Hooker is the only one we should be pulling out all the stops to re-sign on that list. Stew has a contract offer in front of him, and if the Dogs are offering a shitload more for two extra years, then he has a decision to make. Everyone else is either Essendon for life (Fletcher, Winderlich) or worth fielding offers for.

Thanks Mr Mojo - so what is yaco on about then with all these uncontracted players?
Well he is correct from the point there are a lot of un-contracted players.

I don't have the same concerns about the key ones not signing because of Hird and this saga as he seems to though. Neither one of us are right or wrong as we are not inside the club. It's just our opinions. Both are valid.

I am worried about player movement but this is pretty standard heading into August, and especially given everything else. How I see it (only looking at uncontracted players):

Senior list:

Players that I believe would be retiring anyway (so no issue either way):
Hille, David - 2013
Lovett-Murray, Nathan - 2013
Davey, Alwyn - 2013

Players who I believe will re-sign with the Bombers/ have publicly stated support:
Bellchambers, Tom - 2013
Fletcher, Dustin - 2013
Winderlich, Jason - 2013

Players who I believe would be thinking about leaving anyway/ trade bait options irrespective of the 'saga':
Crameri, Stewart - 2013
Gumbleton, Scott - 2013
Hardingham, Kyle - 2013
Pears, Tayte - 2013

Players who are yet to make their mark and may leave for better opportunities without damaging our 'core' list:
Browne, Alex - 2013- Hasn't really cemented a spot
Colyer, Travis - 2013- hasn't really cemented a spot, disposal continues to be a worry
Davis, Luke - 2013 - Hasn't cemented a spot
Dell'Olio, Corey - 2013 - Struggled to get upgraded, hasn't locked in a position
O'Brien, Nicholas - 2013- Still very much a fringe player, I would prefer to keep but not going to kill us if he leaves

Players who are required, clearly in best 22 and yet to sign:
Hooker, Cale - 2013

So, respectfully to Yaco and others, I hear your concerns but when you go through what is a VERY long list, you start to realise that there is probably on 2 signatures we are hunting: Cale Hooker and ONE of either Crameri, Gumby, Hardingham or Pears.

At this stage I doubt our list manager would be panicking. Winders will sign and I am led to believe that Belly will sign, IF the club wants to keep him.. look out for more announcements to come. Remember we are going down the model Bomber used at Geelong.. essentially everyone basically gets a 2 year deal only.. so half your list is always 'coming out' of contract.

As to the rumours that players wish to break contracts.. if they want to leave then good bye (Jetta anyone) but until this ACTUALLY happens.. it will stay in my BS file. This might just be a way a manager gets a better deal for his client or a player not getting opportunities gets to try his hand in the draft.

Think you are forgetting Crameri.

Half by accident half thinking we could get something decent for him in a trade to minimize loss of draft picks.

Already got other forwards. If you like trade hooker sen Hurley back and keep crameri.

My point is it is not dire. It's not great but it's hardly the end of the world. Now if we lose our coach and every assistant. High performance manager CEO and president as well a the stigma of being labelled drug cheats I don't see the club coming back from that culture wise. For a long time.

Sorry.. just noticed guys posted same thoughts as me but far more succintly.

I'm not worried about list management at this stage.

I personally believe that losing our premiership points will leave a FAR bigger stain on the players and our club than draft picks. I think it would be devastating to our playing list to have all their hard work thrown away and I think this shouldn't be ignored. First and Second round draft picks aren't really going to kill us for ONE YEAR only.. we could 'waste' them with crap kids or a kid that gets injured anyway... points are there, they have been earned and this club NEEDS to play finals.

I would be very disappointed if the current rumoured deals are taken, very very shattering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back