Salary Cap Cheating in 93

Remove this Banner Ad

And why on earth would you want an amnesty? You declare an amnesty when there is benefit on both sides, not just one.

There was a benefit on both sides. The AFL got the man they wanted for a role, a man who just co-incidentally had intimate knowledge of the salary cap shenanigans going on at the club he worked for at the time. Had they not offered an amnesty Ian Collins would never have left Carlton.

Because generally if you cheat to win something it’s considered invalid & the win revoked

Edit: yolo lols
Mate, if you want it so bad that it’s still bugging after 24 years then I’m afraid there is another more pressing matter that requires your attention. All the best with the recovery.

Cheat flags:

1993 is the interesting one because Carlton were even worse than Essendon - who were bloody disgraceful.

Sheedy should have been banned from the game.

2012 clearly stung

so 91 is ok despite the hawks breach?

83-91 all sus according to Don Scott with secret payments

There is no doubt that a large amount of the league’s history in the 80’s and 90’s and possibly 2000’s is massively tainted by cheating and/or doping. We’ll probably never find out because the AFL will lose so much, but i do hope we get a whistleblower eventually.

Recalling that West Coast were also knocked out by Essendon the only fair solution seems to be an ultimate slowdown between the 1993 Adelaide Crows list and the 1993 West Coast list for the 1993 premiership in 2020 with Essendon being stripped of their flag.

A bunch of 50 year old ex Eagles going for 3 peat greatness in an empty Adelaide oval.

Will even offer police protection for Tony Mcguiness to come out of hiding for the biggest game of his career.

Last edited:
Recalling that West Coast were also knocked out by Essendon the only fair solution seems to be an ultimate slowdown between the 1993 Adelaide Crows list and the 1993 West Coast list for the 1993 premiership in 2020 with Essendon being stripped of their flag.

A bunch of 50 year old ex Eagles going for 3 peat greatness in an empty Adelaide oval.

Will even offer police protection for Tony Mcguiness to come out of hiding for the biggest game of his career.

do we get topups????

Hawthorn folk have straight out admitted the 80s were rorted to all heck- where was that bank account hosted that they were doing payments from? Nauru or somewhere.

It will take another 10 years for the 90s sides, particularly EFC/CFC and less-so North, to admit what they were doing I suspect. But enough has come out already to invalidate EFC and CFCs' achievements.

So proud that the Tigers have done it clean as far as anyone knows, not even a single rumour swirling, just complaints about playing at the MCG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn folk have straight out admitted the 80s were rorted to all heck- where was that bank account hosted that they were doing payments from? Nauru or somewhere.

It will take another 10 years for the 90s sides, particularly EFC/CFC and less-so North, to admit what they were doing I suspect. But enough has come out already to invalidate EFC and CFCs' achievements.

So proud that the Tigers have done it clean as far as anyone knows, not even a single rumour swirling, just complaints about playing at the MCG.

There's a great story about Johnny Platten being given a new HSV Commodore by Carlton after he had agreed to come over from SA and play for them. He then went and signed with Hawthorn...and kept the car.

There were brown paper bags everywhere back then. All clubs were paying cash under the table.

By your own reasoning, you'd need to wait a few more decades before you can make that claim...
absolutely, presenting as squeaky clean for now though.

but if not, 30 years seems to be the statute of limitations- get busted before that you get a * and possible punitive action, get busted after that and everyone pretty much admits it, laughs, and says 'but that's how it was in those days'.

Richmond 1980 under Topaz Tony were long rumoured as the first team under pretty much a teamwide steroid program.

I think Teddy Hopkins has admitted to amphetamine being used as far back as 1970.

Richmond 1980 under Topaz Tony were long rumoured as the first team under pretty much a teamwide steroid program.

I think Teddy Hopkins has admitted to amphetamine being used as far back as 1970.
too far back for me, no memory of 1980, I imagine it would have felt like that when a bloke that looked the way KB did was doing the things KB did back then!

Cool, two flags to the Pies.

I like this post.

Hasn't there been talk that Rance had to flee AFL due to doping?

Remove this Banner Ad

Salary Cap Cheating in 93

Remove this Banner Ad

Back