Speculation Sam de Koning [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would make sense for the cats to shop him this year - before his value plummets.
He's still very young and has shown he can perform exceptionally well. Geelong should only trade him if they can get a high end pick or player. Otherwise, much better off seeing if he can rediscover 2022/23 form.

Interesting take.

Agree Twomey is the most reliable pundit, helped by the fact he shares an office with the key decision makers.

Ralph I rate higher than Edmund by virtue of the fact he breaks more stories. Sure when he indulges in speculative waffling he can posit some dumb theories. But his actual news articles are reasonable as far as AFL junket media standards go.

By contrast I reckon Edmund breaks a third of the yarns Ralph does. More of his journalism I find to be of the “I’ve confirmed what someone else has already said” variety.

But all of the above are more authoritative than Jay Clark or Damien Barrett.

Basically to me if it’s not coming from one of the below I take it with a grain of salt

• Mitch Cleary (Cats fan and usually gets inside word first)
  • David Zita (Cats fan and consumer of Schnitz)
  • Sam Edmund (generally doesn’t run with something unless it’s been confirmed)
  • Twomey (buddy buddy with the higher up’s of the AFL)
  • RIP Sam Landsberger (Great journo who was taken away too soon)
  • Ryan “Rhino” Daniel’s (WA related news)
  • Michael “Fish” Whiting (QLD related stuff)

Morris is a garbage click bait chaser but he does have some insider connections
Ralph talks out of his ass, he just makes up rubbish based on personal opinion
Jay Clark just seems to care more about the drama side than anything concrete, just throwing things at the stumps so to speak
Sam McClure is a moron who shouldn’t even have a job.
Kane Cornes is just doing his Skip Bayless routine, he’s playing it up for the camera…say outrageous things to get people talking.

so clubs dont lose leverage once a player runs out of contract? you seem conflicted on this

No I’m not? Where have I changed my view? You’re talking rubbish…

Contracted players will always give the club who has the contract more power than unconstacted players, hence why Dan Houston can’t basically just name a place and expect to be there in 2025 because Port can just turn around and say, “nah”

Uncontracted players have the power, that has always been the case

Certain uncontracted players are going to cost more than other uncontracted players just like certain contracted players will cost more than other contracted players, there’s no trick to it, it’s pretty basic.
Form absolutely plays into it. Sports are a “what have you done for me lately” kind of League

I personally have said multiple times Cats should move up if possible to help satisfy Dogs…don’t know how you’ve missed that?

You’re acting like a football player broke up with you because he doesn’t want to play for the club you support anymore.
It’s not that deep, my team lost the greatest footballer of the modern era in his prime for two meh Draft picks and still went out and won a Premiership that year. You adapt and move on.

Now back to the player at hand, if SDK doesn’t regain form coming back from his knee injury then his value will be much lower than what it was in 2022. Right now he’d barely be worth a first round pick but again he’s contracted so Cats hold the power to say, “nope”, if he plays like he did in 2022 it’s two firsts, if he doesn’t it’s probably 1.

Just like if a certain instagram star doesn’t play football for 12 months his value would be lower than if he’s playing every week and performing at a high level like he did 2/3 years ago when he was contracted and playing at a Very high level.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really see why Geelong would be open to trading him and I suspect that the comment that he is gettable is from his perspective as he is probably disappointed about not being involved in finals.

I would be surprised if he was gettable from the club's perspective, as he's a 23 year old 204cm KPD with proven high level talent and Grand Final experience. He's not even in his peak years, so why would Geelong even entertain this trade?

Similar to a Warner trade, my guess is that Geelong hold him to his contract and that this trade doesn't happen, unless somebody pays significant overs for him.

I don't really see why Geelong would be open to trading him and I suspect that the comment that he is gettable is from his perspective as he is probably disappointed about not being involved in finals.

I would be surprised if he was gettable from the club's perspective, as he's a 23 year old 204cm KPD with proven high level talent and Grand Final experience. He's not even in his peak years, so why would Geelong even entertain this trade?

Similar to a Warner trade, my guess is that Geelong hold him to his contract and that this trade doesn't happen, unless somebody pays significant overs for him.
I think the club would be extremely exposed for rucks next year if they let him go. Getting the last year of his contract out of him would give the club more benefit than anything we'd get back in trading him early.

They might have to give him up to get the Oliver and smith trades across the line

Do GFC really see him as a ruck?
His best work this year was in the ruck and he was arguably or best ruck this year.

I think they will have him ruck 40% game time with Conway dropping back as a loose tall in defence. I don't think there's any other ruck scenario next year that will work for us.

His best work this year was in the ruck and he was arguably or best ruck this year.

I think they will have him ruck 40% game time with Conway dropping back as a loose tall in defence. I don't think there's any other ruck scenario next year that will work for us.
Interesting, SDK looked a gun down back previously. O’Sullivan likely close to ready next year so maybe ruck is the way to go for SDK.

Interesting, SDK looked a gun down back previously. O’Sullivan likely close to ready next year so maybe ruck is the way to go for SDK.
Some think COS it's ready next year but I think another year at least. He started well but trailed right off in the 2s. We'd need to squeeze another year from blitz in the backline and hope Conway can take up full time ruck work from 2026.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Sam de Koning [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back