Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't decide if I want to see the club pursue Jacobs or give Lobbe a genuine shot because there is a bit of lottery about it with both players, either could turn out wonders or both could fail. If it's Lobbe I'd like to see him basically Gold Pass'd if he is fit and ready to go Round 1 so we have two genuine rucks and gain experience where he should be.

A trade rumour from the Drafts and Trading Board

Motlop --> West Coast
McKinley --> Carlton
Jacobs --> Port

*Please note I take no responsibility for the veracity of this rumour :p

Motlop --> West Coast
McKinley --> Carlton
Jacobs --> Port

I haven't been in favour of trading directly for Jacobs but it would be a win for our list to get him that way given no other offers for Mots - no downside to us seeing Mots finish up @WC while they're down in the cellar.

Would also save us cash for the totally unsubstantiated rumour of our 5 year contract offer to Trengove that takes him all the way to the magic 7 years and limited free agency (because I'm making it up as I go along)... :D

From the same hot + spicy sauce............

We aren't looking at Jacobs. The club is expecting a huge improvement from Lobbe this coming year and we are backing him in. The club is fairly sure that the AFL will introduce an interchange cap and the club doesn't see a long term future for 2 x rucks for most games. They are projecting that Hoff, JT and Snowy will be sharing the 2nd ruck duties for a considerable amount of games. Lobbe will get more games though and they are tracking him and are OK with his progress. They are also fairly pleased with both Redden and Bass.

No gopower, this isn't anything to do with me not wanting Jacobs for a 2nd rounder, just what I have been told through a sauce :p

Off topic a bit but was also told that the club is really disappointed with most SANFL coaches. They (SANFL coaches) have basically no interest in helping develop the AFL listed players whatsoever and it is a bit of a concern that they want to address. A specific example brought up was Jasper. Apparently no matter what our coaches requested for Jasper, the SANFL club coaches basically refused citing that Jasper isn't in form and would remain in the 2s. Very political and the club is none to impressed. The club intimated that Jasper would not be with the club he is currently aligned to next year.

Was also explained how not having a reserves side is really stunting the development of our kids. Again Jasper was used as an example and he was compared to someone like Brodie Smith. Brodie is basically playing with all his mates at a footy club that has a vested interest in developing him as much as possible where as Jasper is playing at a club where he barely knows anyone and the coaching panel have no interest in helping him develop. Pretty disappointing and really shows how we need our own 'reserves' team. (As an aside it was pleasing to hear Brodie's name mentioned as it means he is definitely on our radar. Odds of him sliding to us are extremely slim but it is pleasing to see we have obviously been keeping an eye on him)

Motlop --> West Coast
McKinley --> Carlton
Jacobs --> Port

I'd take that any day and everyday, I think our team is past the Motlop type player.

Off topic a bit but was also told that the club is really disappointed with most SANFL coaches. They (SANFL coaches) have basically no interest in helping develop the AFL listed players whatsoever and it is a bit of a concern that they want to address. A specific example brought up was Jasper. Apparently no matter what our coaches requested for Jasper, the SANFL club coaches basically refused citing that Jasper isn't in form and would remain in the 2s. Very political and the club is none to impressed. The club intimated that Jasper would not be with the club he is currently aligned to next year.

Was also explained how not having a reserves side is really stunting the development of our kids. Again Jasper was used as an example and he was compared to someone like Brodie Smith. Brodie is basically playing with all his mates at a footy club that has a vested interest in developing him as much as possible where as Jasper is playing at a club where he barely knows anyone and the coaching panel have no interest in helping him develop. Pretty disappointing and really shows how we need our own 'reserves' team. (As an aside it was pleasing to hear Brodie's name mentioned as it means he is definitely on our radar. Odds of him sliding to us are extremely slim but it is pleasing to see we have obviously been keeping an eye on him)

Not surprising to say the least. The SANFL only cares about the SANFL. The sooner both SA-AFL teams have their own reserves side, the faster our kids will develop. Merge the Port Adelaide's and make the maggies our reverse team. The sooner this is done, the better.

Nice post phhht :)

Sounds about right regarding the one ruckman concept. Collingwood have certainly made it work using leigh brown to pinch hit. Although perhaps jolly is able to make more contests through overuse of the interchange?

I get the strong feeling that motlop is staying. Though I haven't heard ANY media on it.

Has anything been said in SA since channel ten claimed he wanted to go to geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the trend, but i feel uncomfortable watching Westhoff ruck!

I guess you dont need to if development goes how the club is hoping.

Next year - Brogan leads with Lobbe, backup from Westhoof, JT etc if needed

With the hope that Bass/Redden come on for 2012.

The only downside to us not getting Jacobs (for an equitable price), could be that smelly mob down the road getting him. He would improve the rucks they have quite a bit I think.

how could you take maric and jacobs into a game together? im yet to see either actually do anything around the ground other then ruck. a couple of carlton posters have said jacobs can play forward (lol) and some have said no he cant (lol). from what ive seen he cant cover much ground, cant get to marking contests ( like for example a tippet does), and would be a complete liability. they would stick someone like fisher on him and they will run all day. same with maric, if he went up forward the opposition def coach would be grinning. could only play one of those guys a week.

a couple of carlton posters have said jacobs can play forward (lol) and some have said no he cant (lol).

In the VFL he has shown a propensity to drift forward and kick goals (including several games where he has kicked multiple goals) - is actually a reasonable contested mark. Remains to be seen whether or not he will consistently do that at AFL level though - those that claim he flat out cant drift forward probably havent seen too many ants games

We aren't looking at Jacobs. The club is expecting a huge improvement from Lobbe this coming year and we are backing him in. The club is fairly sure that the AFL will introduce an interchange cap and the club doesn't see a long term future for 2 x rucks for most games. They are projecting that Hoff, JT and Snowy will be sharing the 2nd ruck duties for a considerable amount of games. Lobbe will get more games though and they are tracking him and are OK with his progress. They are also fairly pleased with both Redden and Bass.

No gopower, this isn't anything to do with me not wanting Jacobs for a 2nd rounder, just what I have been told through a sauce :p

Interesting info re the treatment of Jasper - completely contradicts what was reported here earlier in the season that we requested Jasper play only 2s for the last part of the season - certainly after he did his hammy.

We aren't looking at Jacobs. The club is expecting a huge improvement from Lobbe this coming year and we are backing him in.

That just added some much-needed parmigiana to my schnitzel.

Off topic a bit but was also told that the club is really disappointed with most SANFL coaches. They (SANFL coaches) have basically no interest in helping develop the AFL listed players whatsoever and it is a bit of a concern that they want to address.

Central's treatment of Surjan being the gold standard.

We aren't looking at Jacobs. The club is expecting a huge improvement from Lobbe this coming year and we are backing him in. The club is fairly sure that the AFL will introduce an interchange cap and the club doesn't see a long term future for 2 x rucks for most games.
Very nice. :thumbsu:

If a Stewart/Butcher forward line doesn't work, D.Stew would be a handy second ruck when the interchange capping comes in.
(As an aside it was pleasing to hear Brodie's name mentioned as it means he is definitely on our radar. Odds of him sliding to us are extremely slim but it is pleasing to see we have obviously been keeping an eye on him)
We'd be stupid not to try and trade for a higher pick, we tried for J.Trengove last year but Melbourne wouldn't bite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Jacobs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back