Sam Mitchell missed the 'let's all move on' memo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite a few years back during the split of Yugoslavia, I sledged a huge Slav ruckman I was up against to "go and find himself a country". He then proceeded to beat me to a pulp for the remainder of the game. I paired back my sledging after that game.

I usually only got into it in my later years when provoked. None of us know what was being said out there.
TBH, considering what went on in that civil war, the time you said that to him... you're lucky you're alive. I know 2, possibly 3 Croatians who would likewise put someone in a coma if they said that... today.

I don't take personal offense, as although most of my friends are Cro or Bosnian I'm of another Slavic - non Yugoslav state - ethnicity. But the wounds are incredibly deep for some of these people. One of our friends is too scared to answer the phone to this day because she's scared it'll be the day they've found her husband (in the mass graves they keep discovering).

Not having a go at you, as we all learn our lessons along the way. Getting turned to a pulp is a good way of learning that one. But what it does do is put the Essendon fans' sooky lala about a needle gesture to a muppet that deserves it in perspective. What a ****ing first world problem.

TBH, considering what went on in that civil war, the time you said that to him... you're lucky you're alive. I know 2, possibly 3 Croatians who would likewise put someone in a coma if they said that... today.

I don't take personal offense, as although most of my friends are Cro or Bosnian I'm of another Slavic - non Yugoslav state - ethnicity. But the wounds are incredibly deep for some of these people. One of our friends is too scared to answer the phone to this day because she's scared it'll be the day they've found her husband (in the mass graves they keep discovering).

Not having a go at you, as we all learn our lessons along the way. Getting turned to a pulp is a good way of learning that one. But what it does do is put the Essendon fans' sooky lala about a needle gesture to a muppet that deserves it in perspective. What a ******* first world problem.

Mate I can tell you it was pretty much the last time I opened my mouth first. And when I did, I never took it to that level. I knew I would get a reaction from him and I was intending to put him off his game. It worked but it cost me dearly that day. We actually played against each other for a number of years after that first game and became respected opponents. Both hard at it on the ground and would shake hands and have a beer off the ground.

I learnt my lesson and regret trying to be a smartarse at his expense that day.

clearly very embarrassed about it after the game. Especially with his kids there. Oh well, we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment
Yeah that's right Lance it's all about the ****ing children.

But never mind all the poor kids down at Windy Hill who are mixing their oranges with PEPTIDES at half-time just so they can be more like their hero Tom Bellchambers.

What a ****ing disgrace.

Yeah that's right Lance it's all about the ******* children.

But never mind all the poor kids down at Windy Hill who are mixing their oranges with PEPTIDES at half-time just so they can be more like their hero Tom Bellchambers.

What a ******* disgrace.
you sound a bit upset, y u mad?

Let's get to the bottom of this.

Mitchell undoubtedly meant to sledge someone. That much is clear.

Although we know what his intention was, we just can't be sure that the intended recipients actually heard it, so if they can't confirm what it was that he said, then maybe he never actually said anything at all.

I don't know about you guys, but despite what it looks like, I'm not comfortably satisfied that Sam actually sledged anyone.

Yeah that's right Lance it's all about the ******* children.

What a ******* disgrace.
Lay of Bellchambers. It's not his fault they stopped giving him the juice to stop him being a lazy prick.

clearly very embarrassed about it after the game. Especially with his kids there. Oh well, we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment

Think-of-the-children.jpg

Interesting that Hird has jumped in calling Mitchell "naive and idiotic". I may have missed it but did Hird call himself that by bringing a convicted drug peddler into the EFC fold and then allow off-site injections to take place whilst at the same time, sidelining the club doctor by keeping things from him. How heckin'g "naive and idiotic" is that Albert?!

And yes before EFC supporters jump in, I dislike Hird intensely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few years back during the split of Yugoslavia, I sledged a huge Slav ruckman I was up against to "go and find himself a country". He then proceeded to beat me to a pulp for the remainder of the game. I paired back my sledging after that game.

I usually only got into it in my later years when provoked. None of us know what was being said out there.
Well, I guess that is true. We don't know what was said out there.

I just thought it wasn't a very classy act to bring that particular topic up. I would have expected it from other Hawthorn players, but not Sam Mitchell to be honest

I thought it was the moment of the day, only thing missing was Mitchell turning around to Watson, lowering his head and motioning with his hands that this is where he should place the medal.

Now that would have been awesome! i would have stood up and applauded!

Essendon and James Hird would all love us to forgive, forget, move on......not going to happen. I'll move on when the person responsible finally takes responsibility for his decision to introduce something that has bought shame onto the Essendon FC. Until that day, he, Hird and the Essendon FC will just have to learn to live and take it...like they did with the jabs.
I agree. As long as Hird and Reid and Little refuse to take on how pissed footy supporters are at their conduct or lack of it then this cloud weighs over them and the club.

Stuff probably has been said to Essendon players but this was visual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Mitchell missed the 'let's all move on' memo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back