Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I was watching the belting from Sydney with my Nan, and she lamented that she wouldn't see another flag before she dies (don't stress, she has a great sense of humour).

I made mention how it's a bit hard to understand at the moment, because individually I felt like we had the players on the park, but absolutely none of the synergy to make anything happen.

Fast forward 8 weeks and the boys are HUMMING and playing some of the most instinctive and exhilarating footy I've seem from a Hawthorn side since 2015.

Thinking about the decision to bring Gunston back with arguably only one year of footy left. Adrian Hickmott doesn't strike me as a permanent forward coach. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of an agreement with Gunston when he came across that he might move into a forward line coaching spot when his time was up.

Our distinct lack of a stoppage coach makes me think that maybe there's a spot we're keeping open.

Thinking about the decision to bring Gunston back with arguably only one year of footy left. Adrian Hickmott doesn't strike me as a permanent forward coach. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of an agreement with Gunston when he came across that he might move into a forward line coaching spot when his time was up.

Our distinct lack of a stoppage coach makes me think that maybe there's a spot we're keeping open.
The way our fwd line is functioning and continuing to improve, I'd leave Hickmont right where he is.

The way our fwd line is functioning and continuing to improve, I'd leave Hickmont right where he is.
We're 7-3 with Gunston in the forward line, 0-4 without him. I've seen enough from Gunners on the field and on the bench to know that a lot of our form in that area is from him.

Not taking anything away from Hickmott of course but I don't think it's all up to him.

Just reading the VFL report now, the sheer number of players putting their hand up and clamouring for a spot in the ones is simply astonishing. This will keep enormous pressure on the players currently in the side to keep performing, and this is nothing but a good thing.

I’m trying to keep a lid on things, as we’re still a young and developing side and, as Sammy keeps saying, far from a finished product, but man, is it hard not to get excited about things at the moment…

I’ve been thinking about this a bit as I try to watch the VFL most weekends. I know ow you can only play the team you’re up against, but I feel like the competition this year is split into about half a dozen sides with a chance, and then the rest at a much lower level. The last few weeks we’ve been beating up on the latter. I want to see our VFL side play another of the top half dozen and see how we go.

Richmond were equal with us on points, but I think they’ve had a softer draw. Still, great to see the performances. Just got to keep up the consistency.

Our list has somehow gone from 'one of the worst in the league' and an example of how hard and long rebuilds are, to an absolute embarrassment of riches in a few months....
It won't be long before other clubs will start to knock on the door of players that are not getting a senior game.

We're 7-3 with Gunston in the forward line, 0-4 without him. I've seen enough from Gunners on the field and on the bench to know that a lot of our form in that area is from him.

Not taking anything away from Hickmott of course but I don't think it's all up to him.
Yes, we're also 0-4 in games our midfield has been absolutely crushed.

No doubting gunston has been fantastic this year. I was supportive of him staying in the team over Dear when Lewis returns.

Ideally for me, Hickman stays fwd coach, gunston goes again as player/coach. After that id be more open to it.

First two stats are important indicators, not only are we defending well and strangling opposition attacks, we're also cutting through defensive structures
Yep and one of those games was against Gws one of the best defensive teams in the league. That's the win that validated our form for me.

Yes, we're also 0-4 in games our midfield has been absolutely crushed.

No doubting gunston has been fantastic this year. I was supportive of him staying in the team over Dear when Lewis returns.

Ideally for me, Hickman stays fwd coach, gunston goes again as player/coach. After that id be more open to it.
Hickmott.

And no, we're not 0-4 in games our midfield has been crushed. We were +14 in clearances against Geelong, +5 against Sydney, +4 against Port and +1 against Collingwood.

We were also -16 against the Dogs, -6 against GWS and -4 against the Saints which we won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a future thought bubble pooped into my head. Watching Dimma switch forward and back mid game, I would love to see Sis do a preseason with the forwards like Dimma did. Get a handle on running patterns and positioning because if he wandered down to HHF and started intercepting kicks out of the Hawks F50 or receiving them from further up the ground then drilled his kicks inside our F50, golly he could run amok!
With a few more talls in next year, Blank , Phillips possibly DGB and Scrimshaw standing tall could mean Sis gets a bit more latitude to go forward. Not getting to excited with the idea.

But that’s a flag right there!

Just a future thought bubble pooped into my head. Watching Dimma switch forward and back mid game, I would love to see Sis do a preseason with the forwards like Dimma did. Get a handle on running patterns and positioning because if he wandered down to HHF and started intercepting kicks out of the Hawks F50 or receiving them from further up the ground then drilled his kicks inside our F50, golly he could run amok!
With a few more talls in next year, Blank , Phillips possibly DGB and Scrimshaw standing tall could mean Sis gets a bit more latitude to go forward. Not getting to excited with the idea.

I think the best position for an all Australian defender and one of, if not the best interceptor in the game....is in defence.

The further up the field he goes, the easier it is for the opposition to move the ball around him. Very happy with where he is. And some of those kicks on the weekend - Balls of steel.

The further up the field he goes, the easier it is for the opposition to move the ball around him. Very happy with where he is. And some of those kicks on the weekend - Balls of steel.

Makes me think they will be tagging/applying a direct oppo to Sic in future weeks - he's been way too good out of the backline. Some of the passes he is kicking are insane.

That one a few weeks back from in traffic, that cut through like 3 defensive lines, to find Dear in the forward pocket was just unreal. Sic has better vision from on the field, than the commentators with a birds eye view

Hickmott.

And no, we're not 0-4 in games our midfield has been crushed. We were +14 in clearances against Geelong, +5 against Sydney, +4 against Port and +1 against Collingwood.

We were also -16 against the Dogs, -6 against GWS and -4 against the Saints which we won.
So in the Sydney and Cats games, based of the clearance star alone you're saying our midfield performed well? Or on par with them?

Versus Sydney our poor fwd connection and very biased umpiring (I thought 5-6 goals difference involving decisions or non decisions) crueled our efforts for 3 quarters.

Fair enough they rolled over us in the last quarter or so

Probably still a fair gap between them and us

1718754688751.png

a few weeks later

1718754852221.png 1718755042996.png

Last edited:
So in the Sydney and Cats games, based of the clearance star alone you're saying our midfield performed well? Or on par with them?
That's beside the point, honestly. You said we were 0-4 in games our midfield got crushed, I'm pointing out that it's not always that clear cut. The Dogs game was our worst clearance effort for the year yet we won it, Geelong was our best and we lost it by 30 odd.

I don't know how it's relevant anyway.

Yep and one of those games was against Gws one of the best defensive teams in the league. That's the win that validated our form for me.
Same, that's why I wasn't worried about the tigs.
How we compete at the cattery & back it up with what should be a hungry freo the following week will be very interesting

That's beside the point, honestly. You said we were 0-4 in games our midfield got crushed, I'm pointing out that it's not always that clear cut. The Dogs game was our worst clearance effort for the year yet we won it, Geelong was our best and we lost it by 30 odd.

Yup the Sydney game wasn’t remotely to do with our midfield getting crushed, just we couldn’t have been worse with the ball in hand and turned it over repeatedly and Sydney destroyed us on those turnovers. They were also at their very best that day which is why we got punished for mistakes.

I dont recall watching those games thinking our mids played well. I haven't checked stats, but I'm pretty sure their production was down across the board stat wise individually in the the first 4 rounds.
Vs port we clearly played really well.

Yup the Sydney game wasn’t remotely to do with our midfield getting crushed, just we couldn’t have been worse with the ball in hand and turned it over repeatedly and Sydney destroyed us on those turnovers. They were also at their very best that day which is why we got punished for mistakes.

Turnovers and failing to capitalise when the ball entered our F50. I'm sure someone in the media has been preaching that our F50 scoring efficiency has gone from dead last (or thereabouts) in the first five weeks to top three (or thereabouts) in the last five weeks.

Anyways, they are humming now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back