Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

And here.

I can understand why people do not yet perceive Dylan as being a Champion.

A person's perception of another person is shaped by their past experiences.

Hawthorn Champions win premierships.

View attachment 2019874
Geez the surface is in perfect nick!
Wonder if they could be thinking about playing AFL games there again

A few other interesting stats are emerging:

Hawks rank 3rd for moving the footy for making transition from defense look easy
Hawks rank 2nd for uplifting social media
Hawks rank 1st for goal celebrations
Hawks rank 4th for bringing in players from other teams and turning them into stars
Hawks rank equal 3rd for ability to cause media commentators to flip flop
Hawks rank 16th for appealing fixture time slots
Hawks rank 2nd for umping up contract value of trade targets.
Hawks rank 1st for coach most enjoyed by opposition fans.

The pleasing thing about this year is that we didn't need to wait until the bye to start forming some onfield cohesion. This season has been a great ride so far.

I'm keen to see if Mitchell has another gear for us this year or whether we still need a few pieces to come. I remember in 2007 Clarko was starting to implement grid/zone defence and had the 4-talls goal kicking set up (Buddy, Roughy, Boyle and Williams?). Before moving to something quite different in 2008.

So I'm wondering if this current set up is a development pattern or not.

Noted 14 of the 23 were hawks draftees, similar proportion to the threepeat years
6 of the 10 with debut since Sammy years.

Seems to be a sweet spot in recruiting

Also looked back to 2007 and before in terms of WL. Can’t see anywhere where we had six wins from seven the other being a narrow loss

Last edited:
Mmm not sure it’s really working maybe we need to get Dunstall or a ex player from us or another club as a GK coach that had a great routine and set shot to work with them.
Get Capper in! Had a really simple routine and he can also increase the rascal of the group ;)

Would be nice to earn 8th spot and have a couple of debuts to see out the year.

Would love to see Bennetts and Scaife get a game before years end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%.

One huge difference between Mitchell and Clarko though IMO is that Mitchell wants our defenders to mark the football. It is so important, it is pretty much Geelong's whole game plan.

Clarko was happy for Gibson to punch it 10 rows back. It seems that Mitchell has identified that the Hawks are much more dangerous when they mark the ball in D50 which allows them to transition quickly before the opposition has set up.

Turnovers are the most dangerous thing in football because the opposition are simply not set up defensively which allows teams to slice straight through them. A stoppage is not a turnover - a defensive intercept is.

Do we have a goal kicking coach so Dear, Watson and work on there kicking.
We’re working on our goal kicking all the time. Dear and Watson are absolute babies and still getting used to kicking under significantly high pressure in front of big crowds. They will settle in no time.

I can understand why people do not yet perceive Dylan as being a Champion.

A person's perception of another person is shaped by their past experiences.

Hawthorn Champions win premierships.

View attachment 2019874
It's actually the definition of a champion. To win the championship.

Nick Reiwoldt was a good player, a great player, perhaps one of the best players, but he was not a champion. Brent Renouf was a champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back