Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd take the Seed in a heartbeat. Much better contested mark, much better kick with sensational penetration in his kicking. Sadly though he needed the change of environment to push him to realize some of that potential.
that is too positive in Seeds favour for mine. Age compared Phillips kills him on stats. Seed is a much better outside user but that's really his only standout area over Phillips

Tom Phillips Name Paul Seedsman
Collingwood Magpies Team Adelaide Crows
Midfield Position Defender, Midfield
28 Career Games 74
Oakleigh Chargers Origin Eastern Ranges
May 7, 1996 Date of Birth January 22, 1992
21yr 11mth Age Turned 22 in 2014
187cm Height 189cm
79kg Weight 87kg
2015 National Draft Last Drafted In 2010 National Draft
Round 4, Pick #58 Last Draft Position Round 4, Pick #76
Collingwood Magpies Last Drafted By Collingwood Magpies
2018 Stats for Season 2014
4 Games 9
Kicks Per Game 8.8
12.0 Handballs Per Game 6.8
25.8 Disposals Per Game 15.6
5.0 Marks Per Game 4.1
0.5 Goals Per Game 0.2
0.2 Behinds Per Game 0.3
Tackles Per Game 2.7
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.1
2.2 Inside 50s Per Game 3.1
0 Goal Assists Per Game 0.8
Frees For Per Game 0.8
0.2 Frees Against Per Game 0.4
Contested Possessions Per Game 3.2
15.5 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.6
17.5 Effective Disposals Per Game 12.4
67.8% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 79.5%
Clangers Per Game 1.6
0 Contested Marks Per Game 0.2
Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.1
2.0 Clearances Per Game 0.4
1.8 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.9
0.5 One Percenters Per Game 1.6
0.8 Bounces Per Game 3.0
Time On Ground % Per Game 75.2
0 Centre Clearances Per Game
2.0 Stoppage Clearances Per Game
2.8 Score Involvements Per Game
375.2 Metres Gained Per Game
5.2 Turnovers Per Game
6.0 Intercepts Per Game
0.2 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game
97.8 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 64.1
89.0 Supercoach Score Per Game 67.6

Even over a whole career Phillips stats are better even as a 21 yo compared to a 26 yo. They are not everything but Phillips is on an upward trajectory more so that Seed and I would take him given a choice

28 Career Games 74
21yr 11mth Age 26yr 3mth
187cm Height 189cm
79kg Weight 87kg
Career Stats for Season Career
28 Games 74
Kicks Per Game 10.1
9.3 Handballs Per Game 7.1
20.9 Disposals Per Game 17.2
5.0 Marks Per Game 4.4
0.5 Goals Per Game 0.5
0.4 Behinds Per Game 0.5
Tackles Per Game 2.8
0 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.4 Inside 50s Per Game 3.5
Goal Assists Per Game 0.4
0.6 Frees For Per Game 0.7
0.4 Frees Against Per Game 0.7
Contested Possessions Per Game 4.6
14.8 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 12.7
15.2 Effective Disposals Per Game 12.9
72.7% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 75%
Clangers Per Game 2.2
0.1 Contested Marks Per Game 0.3
Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.2
1.5 Clearances Per Game 1.0
1.2 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.9
0.9 One Percenters Per Game 1.1
0.2 Bounces Per Game 1.1
Time On Ground % Per Game 73.7
0.1 Centre Clearances Per Game
1.4 Stoppage Clearances Per Game
4.7 Score Involvements Per Game
298.0 Metres Gained Per Game
3.4 Turnovers Per Game
3.1 Intercepts Per Game
0.5 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game

4 nga or father sons

Discounted 25%
Player with first round ISSAC if bid on
All the rest are covered by the two 3rds and a fourth
Couple with some trading were fine

I'd probably agree if I understood it.

At times your slam poetry style is bloody hard to comprehend.:)

I'd take the Seed in a heartbeat. Much better contested mark, much better kick with sensational penetration in his kicking. Sadly though he needed the change of environment to push him to realize some of that potential.
Don’t get sucked in jackyboy. He’s not there just yet. He’s a teaser.

Could of just kept seedsman
Shows the great law of football:

The longer the player is away from Collingwood the “better” they become as footballers.

Seedsman just another medium level player.

Funny think to be irked over!!

Just think he’s too focussed on it and kicks long rather than looking inboard or looking for a loose target downfield. I don’t lose sleep over it, just think he’s limiting his hurt factor by being predictable. He’s a local boy so I follow his career and I feel like he could be better with a different mindset.

The longer the player is away from Collingwood the “better” they become as footballers.

Seedsman is having a really good year after a really good second half of 2017. I think you are being unkind.

But this thread is about Murray. If some Collingwood supporters are upset at losing the Seed, we can take comfort that Swans fans will be a million times more regretful about losing Murray.

And did you hear picked up Jeremy Howe and a 2018 third round pick from those deals?

I don't agree. He's breaking out. Had a very good first month of football this year. Like someone else said, I'm happy for him

Just think he’s too focussed on it and kicks long rather than looking inboard or looking for a loose target downfield. I don’t lose sleep over it, just think he’s limiting his hurt factor by being predictable. He’s a local boy so I follow his career and I feel like he could be better with a different mindset.

Metres gained is an admirable stat.

Seedsman is having a really good year after a really good second half of 2017. I think you are being unkind.

But this thread is about Murray. If some Collingwood supporters are upset at losing the Seed, we can take comfort that Swans fans will be a million times more regretful about losing Murray.

And did you hear picked up Jeremy Howe and a 2018 third round pick from those deals?
All correct.

But all said and Dunn, seed means nothing substantial to us, wells that’s Howe I see it.

Metres gained is an admirable stat.

I think it can be misleading also. Doesn’t hurt your disposal efficiency as much as being a risk taker as you don’t get credited with an ineffective kick if you go long. I wouldn’t put an enormous weight on it. But I’m glad he’s playing better than most would have anticipated upon his leaving us.

I think it can be misleading also. Doesn’t hurt your disposal efficiency as much as being a risk taker as you don’t get credited with an ineffective kick if you go long. I wouldn’t put an enormous weight on it. But I’m glad he’s playing better than most would have anticipated upon his leaving us.

Hes been sensational with his running power and ball carry. Its inexplicable that youd bag him for playing to his strengths.

???

The Seed only played 5 games in 2017.

His first game for the season was the draw against us, he was meh.

He then played R23 and stayed in the side due to injury.

He had two ok games and two poor finals.

I think you have created a memory that isn’t based on reality!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes been sensational with his running power and ball carry. Its inexplicable that youd bag him for playing to his strengths.

It’s not quite that cut and dry. I’m saying he could be more damaging with an amendment to his playing style.
For instance versus us he was one of the Crows best but he had 12 turnovers. If he’s limited in his ball kicking ability then I guess the only option is to bomb long, hopefully to a contest. I guess I prefer a Wells type (admittedly elite) who hits up a target at every opportunity. Perhaps Seedy doesn’t have it in his skill set.

???

The Seed only played 5 games in 2017.

His first game for the season was the draw against us, he was meh.

He then played R23 and stayed in the side due to injury.

He had two ok games and two poor finals.

I think you have created a memory that isn’t based on reality!

Ok well he played really well in the second half of 2017 then. Thought he played more games than that but some of them were high quality regardless, including at least one final where he was excellent. Apologies for not studying the Crows more thoroughly. I promise to not improve in that department.

Thats five more than Sam Murray though!!! Luckily Dekka didnt take "games played" into account when recruiting.

It’s not quite that cut and dry. I’m saying he could be more damaging with an amendment to his playing style.
For instance versus us he was one of the Crows best but he had 12 turnovers. If he’s limited in his ball kicking ability then I guess the only option is to bomb long, hopefully to a contest. I guess I prefer a Wells type (admittedly elite) who hits up a target at every opportunity. Perhaps Seedy doesn’t have it in his skill set.

OK then.

Now hows that Sam Murray!!!

I don't think it's a mindset thing. I think it's awareness. It's bloody hard to run with the footy, be aware of the threats in your near vicinity, yet also see what's unfolding further afield. It's why so many live events breaking runners are blind bombers. It's also why Murray is such a fantastic prospect. He has the awareness of immediate surroundings, whilst also seeing further afield.

Don’t get sucked in jackyboy. He’s not there just yet. He’s a teaser.

Neither is Phillips and it may be that neither ultimately makes the grade but YTD, the Seed is well in front.

That's flawed logic unfortunately. Even if Quaynor slides into the region of our 3rd pick, we've still lost the option to draft anyone with our 2nd pick. Downside is, Quaynor has a ripper year and ends up getting a bid in the top 20-30, we potentially lose our 2019 2nd as well if we match.

It’s not illogical. It’s a gamble and it might be improbable, but it is possible.

Here’s a scenario in which he comes for free:

Collingwood finish 4th, Sydney finish 13th.

Let’s say we go into the draft having identified we want Quaynor and Kelly as F/S Academy players and are willing to match any and all reasonable bids.
We will have picks:
*Our pick 32 goes to Sydney
41 (from Sydney)

Quaynor is bid on at 31 which has a points value of 606 (409 required to match). We use pick 41 (valued at 412) to match. We draft Quaynor. Kelly is bid on at pick 47, we use 50 to match. We draft Kelly. We then draft whoever with pick 68.

In this scenario, whether on not we had our original 2nd round pick, we still would have had to use our second live pick to draft Quaynor. Being pushed back in the draft by trading down for Murray has in effect cost us nothing, and we have picked up Murray essentially for free.

Feel free to pull me up on anything I might have gotten wrong.

that is too positive in Seeds favour for mine. Age compared Phillips kills him on stats. Seed is a much better outside user but that's really his only standout area over Phillips

28 Career Games 74
21yr 11mth Age Turned 22 in 2014
187cm Height 189cm
79kg Weight 87kg
2018 Stats for Season 2014
4 Games 9
Kicks Per Game 8.8
12.0 Handballs Per Game 6.8
25.8 Disposals Per Game 15.6
5.0 Marks Per Game 4.1
0.5 Goals Per Game 0.2
0.2 Behinds Per Game 0.3
Tackles Per Game 2.7
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.1
2.2 Inside 50s Per Game 3.1
0 Goal Assists Per Game 0.8
Frees For Per Game 0.8
0.2 Frees Against Per Game 0.4
Contested Possessions Per Game 3.2
15.5 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 11.6
17.5 Effective Disposals Per Game 12.4
67.8% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 79.5%
Clangers Per Game 1.6
0 Contested Marks Per Game 0.2
Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.1
2.0 Clearances Per Game 0.4
1.8 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.9
0.5 One Percenters Per Game 1.6
0.8 Bounces Per Game 3.0
Time On Ground % Per Game 75.2
0 Centre Clearances Per Game
2.0 Stoppage Clearances Per Game
2.8 Score Involvements Per Game
375.2 Metres Gained Per Game
5.2 Turnovers Per Game
6.0 Intercepts Per Game
0.2 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game
97.8 AFL Fantasy Score Per Game 64.1
89.0 Supercoach Score Per Game 67.6

Put up the current season comparative stats and we get a completely different story I'd imagine.

It’s not illogical. It’s a gamble and it might be improbable, but it is possible.

Here’s a scenario in which he comes for free:

Collingwood finish 4th, Sydney finish 13th.

Let’s say we go into the draft having identified we want Quaynor and Kelly as F/S Academy players and are willing to match any and all reasonable bids.
We will have picks:
*Our pick 32 goes to Sydney
41 (from Sydney)

Quaynor is bid on at 31 which has a points value of 606 (409 required to match). We use pick 41 (valued at 412) to match. We draft Quaynor. Kelly is bid on at pick 47, we use 50 to match. We draft Kelly. We then draft whoever with pick 68.

In this scenario, whether on not we had our original 2nd round pick, we still would have had to use our second live pick to draft Quaynor. Being pushed back in the draft by trading down for Murray has in effect cost us nothing, and we have picked up Murray essentially for free.

Feel free to pull me up on anything I might have gotten wrong.

Didn't even bother trying to make sense of that. There's just no reality where we get Murray for nothing no matter how many clever hypothetical scenarios you contrive.

Didn't even bother trying to make sense of that. There's just no reality where we get Murray for nothing no matter how many clever hypothetical scenarios you contrive.
Apart from the one I just outlined. Unless you can show me how it’s incorrect, you dismissing it without reading it doesn’t do a whole lot to change my mind. Happy to be shown where I’m wrong as stated from the outset.

Apart from the one I just outlined. Unless you can show me how it’s incorrect, you dismissing it without reading it doesn’t do a whole lot to change my mind. Happy to be shown where I’m wrong as stated from the outset.

As I specified.... REALITY.

Even in your extremely contrived and unlikely scenario, if we still had pick 32 and a bid came for Quaynor at 30 with our 25% discount we'd get a later pick rebate on our 32 that you've conveniently neglected to factor in so it'll cost us at least that pick. There isn't a scenario you can contrive where Murray costs nothing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back