Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Very well? Can you clarify?
Because you are a reasonable poster and will consider this new information fairly???

Was his junior career not pretty well rated?

Is 20 or so touches, 4 plus tackes, 2 plus clearances, and typically efficient, attacking ball use not 'very good' for a 21 year old?

Here is a more recent 13 plus minutes of highlights for you...note the near instant decision making and sharp disposal. I'll now compare to Jarrad Brander and Lewis Young highlights as they apparently all have similar value.

Last edited:
So why go to the trouble of pissing off another club? A pick in the late 20's or 30's for a bloke that went at pick 6 and has virtually identical stats to Cerra over the first four years of their careers.

It's nothing like the Martin trade where Carlton offered a first round pick.

A perfect example of why comparing stats is meaningless when watching a game can tell you so much more.

Cerra is the far superior player of the two.

You'd be lucky to get a pick in the 60's. The only reason he played nearly 100 games is because he was pick 6. Hasn't done a thing for 2 years and is looking like a big bust. The fact you are referencing "highlights" from 2019 says it all.

Hopefully he can turn it around at the Eagles but unlikely IMO.
Agree with everything you said, except the last paragraph 😁

Because you are a reasonable poster and will consider this new information fairly???

Is 20 or so touches, 4 plus tackes, 2 plus clearances, and typically efficient, attacking ball use not 'very good' for a 21 year old?

I'd like to think so.

I don't know enough about his Junior career but I would assume it would be worth spending pick 6 on.

Just looking at his stats as a 21 year old on footywire it's fine but I'm not sure it is projecting as elite. I have compared him to Cerra who I believe is projecting as elite as a 21 year old:

1633474271758.png

Statistically I don't think they are too far apart at the same age, the issue is that SPS has had 2 years of stinking it up. Other than that 1 game where he got 35 touches isn't his next best something like 26?

I don't believe he has a high ceiling and is a bust. If he can turn it around that's great for him and West Coast but Carlton have been struggling in the midfield and yet he can't get a run. Surely it can't just because the coach didn't like him? Did he break apart VFL games in the limited opportunities available?

I wouldn't be surprised if a pick swap got this done.

I'd like to think so.

I don't know enough about his Junior career but I would assume it would be worth spending pick 6 on.

Just looking at his stats as a 21 year old on footywire it's fine but I'm not sure it is projecting as elite. I have compared him to Cerra who I believe is projecting as elite as a 21 year old:

View attachment 1253915

Statistically I don't think they are too far apart at the same age, the issue is that SPS has had 2 years of stinking it up. Other than that 1 game where he got 35 touches isn't his next best something like 26?

I don't believe he has a high ceiling and is a bust. If he can turn it around that's great for him and West Coast but Carlton have been struggling in the midfield and yet he can't get a run. Surely it can't just because the coach didn't like him? Did he break apart VFL games in the limited opportunities available?

I wouldn't be surprised if a pick swap got this done.
Just trying to get my head around the qualifications here...so tracking near enough to Cerra, though Cerra will be elite, and SPS a bust?

One game above 30 touches as a mid is a bust, but four is tracking as elite.

I'm not trying to say that he's worth as much as Cerra. I'm saying that he's worth more than a Brander, or any number of no names who have attracted much higher picks in recent times.

Just trying to get my head around the qualifications here...so tracking near enough to Cerra, though Cerra will be elite, and SPS a bust?

One game above 30 touches as a mid is a bust, but four is tracking as elite.

I'm not trying to say that he's worth as much as Cerra. I'm saying that he's worth more than a Brander, or any number of no names who have attracted much higher picks in recent times.

We can cherry pick stats all day (I think referring to stats can be helpful but they can be twisted by all) but we are not comparing Cerra and SPS as they sit today. With the last 2 years of exposed form I believe that SPS is a bust and that while he may have looked to be tracking ok 3 years ago he has gone backwards at an alarming rate to where he is no longer able to get a spot inside the 25 of a team that finished 13th and was injury riddled.

West Coast have an ageing midfield and SPS is probably worth a punt but I doubt he gets anywhere near his potential from when he was drafted.

Here is a more recent 13 plus minutes of highlights for you...note the near instant decision making and sharp disposal. I'll now compare to Jarrad Brander and Lewis Young highlights as they apparently all have similar value.

That is a pretty uninspiring highlights package of 10 - 25m chip kicks to the nearest open player directly in front of him.

Bloke has no flare or preparedness to look further down the field where he takes a longer option.

Not real keen on him after watching that video.

We can cherry pick stats all day (I think referring to stats can be helpful but they can be twisted by all) but we are not comparing Cerra and SPS as they sit today. With the last 2 years of exposed form I believe that SPS is a bust and that while he may have looked to be tracking ok 3 years ago he has gone backwards at an alarming rate to where he is no longer able to get a spot inside the 25 of a team that finished 13th and was injury riddled.

West Coast have an ageing midfield and SPS is probably worth a punt but I doubt he gets anywhere near his potential from when he was drafted.
This is the classic Bigfooty though...we frame things to support our position.

You say tracking OK three years ago. It's actually tracking very well two years ago.

You for example present stats to support your point...then claim how stats can be cherry picked and twisted. You use language like 'backwards at an alarming rate' to emphasise your point, without acknowledging the change in position two years ago, a coaching team that stuck doggedly to that change despite evidence it wasn't best for player or club, or the fact that there was still some pretty good footy played over the last two years...highlight videos are a bit like stats, but there is still a hell of a lot to like in SPSs 2020 season highlights.

You say no longer able to get a spot in the 25, though still played vast majority of games in last two years.

Anyway let's crack on hey...

That is a pretty uninspiring highlights package of 10 - 25m chip kicks to the nearest open player directly in front of him.

Bloke has no flare or preparedness to look further down the field where he takes a longer option.

Wasn't he an inside mid though?

I think people are honestly racially profiling him as they believe indigenous players play on instinct with flair to their game when, in reality, SPS has never been that kind of player, nor does he need to be.

Needs to play inside more like an Ollie Wines type. He doesn't need to be an excitement machine, he just needs to play good footy in his best position.

I think people are honestly racially profiling him as they believe indigenous players play on instinct with flair to their game when, in reality, SPS has never been that kind of player, nor does he need to be.

Needs to play inside more like an Ollie Wines type. He doesn't need to be an excitement machine, he just needs to play good footy in his best position.
Doesn't matter what position you play if you don't chase, tackle, apply pressure, put your body on the line or have the tank to compete you aren't going to play AFL footy as has been shown this year

Wines & SPS, 2 peas in a pod. Can you even tell them apart?! :cool: :p:D:moustache:

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what position you play if you don't chase, tackle, apply pressure, put your body on the line or have the tank to compete you aren't going to play AFL footy as has been shown this year
I get what you're saying but if his best footy for the Blues as inside mid in his first couple of seasons, then he gets shifted to the HBF for the past 2 then it's little wonder he's struggled more. Seems he's been asked to play as a creative HBF when he's neither a): creative, or b): a defender.

Bit like us recruiting flankers because we think they have midfield potential. Duggan's the only one who's looked somewhat likely to take that next step whereas all the others have just struggled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you're saying but if his best footy for the Blues as inside mid in his first couple of seasons, then he gets shifted to the HBF for the past 2 then it's little wonder he's struggled more. Seems he's been asked to play as a creative HBF when he's neither a): creative, or b): a defender.

Bit like us recruiting flankers because we think they have midfield potential. Duggan's the only one who's looked somewhat likely to take that next step whereas all the others have just struggled.
Look if he goes to the Eagles then good luck to him. He has had so much time to produce and just doesn't or won't no matter what position he plays. Can't see him lasting much longer in the system.with his lack.of work ethic

The bloke's playing position or race has nothing to do with the fact that the bloke takes the simple option which is always the first option - a short chip kick.

That's not how you play footy in 2021 where the best players and teams move the ball on straight away and look to cover as much ground as possible. You need guys to break the lines.

He's the opposite of a modern footballer and unless that can be trained out of his style then he's got a very short career ahead of him.

Now post a video of his low lights, should be about a 5hr video

Yeah, I'm much happier with our guys who miss the 10-25m kicks :rolleyes:

Don’t hold much hope for him but a good example of what he could he at his best is Tim Kelly. While TK lacks overall pace he does is quicker off the mark and has much greater endurance.

Despite the denials from some Carlton fans, that is unfortunately just where SPS' trade value has ended up. Not pretty unfortunately.

I guess the only positive thing from Carlton's perspective is that it clears the list of someone who might have otherwise been a distraction.

Could be a bargain for West Coast ... but could be a list clogger. Time will deliver that verdict.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Sam Petrevski-Seton [Traded to West Coast as part of three way trade for Pick 52]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back