Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
How do we know Highway Patrol got PO for drug driving?

I'm not sure there is any evidence of drugs from that night at all. It's known that PO was out and attended one or more clubs the night before SM went missing. That was somehow turned into an 'alcohol and drug fuelled bender' by the press, and they published a video of him from social media (posted in January) snorting something.

Could it have been for speeding way over the speed limit or dangerous driving?

I think this is more likely.

Is there a possibility he ran her over in the car park adjacent to where her phone last pinged in an drug/alcohol induced state? As the Police are saying it was a deliberate act then I doubt it? Unless he said something to her from the window of his car and she told him where to go? Just asking this because I read there was talk of a damaged vehicle being sought? Or the vehicle was used after the fact to dispose of her body? If so evidence would most certainly have existed in the vehicle

Forensics looked to be focusing on a very specific small area at Mount Clear, that's about 6kms away from where her phone last pinged in Buninyong at 5.00pm iirc.

Maybe they're keeping it quiet they found her phone at Mount Clear and that last ping at 5.00pm was the last gasp ping at Buninyong before the battery ran out.

Forensics looked to be focusing on a very specific small area at Mount Clear, that's about 6kms away from where her phone last pinged in Buninyong at 5.00pm iirc.

Maybe they're keeping it quiet they found her phone at Mount Clear and that last ping at 5.00pm was the last gasp ping at Buninyong before the battery ran out.
They seem to have stopped talking about that 5pm ping. Does that indicate anything?

The penalty is almost the same. Culpable driving max 20 years, murder 25 years.

He can't stall for much longer imo. We just started the working week and his lawyer will be more active, so hopefully we might get news soon that he's told them where she is.
Why can't he? He can not say anything and then they go to trial and the evidence is poor proving 'murder' so he get's found not guilty

If he was pulled over and found to be heavily under the influence of alcohol/drugs/both you'd expect his car to have been impounded which it wasn't as police took custody of it after his arrest.

Maybe a roadside camera which has caught him speeding in an area which has helped them piece together movements in combination with potential trail cctv/still pictures

The serial killer golden age through the 70s and 80s is over but have you noticed mass shootings and mass murders continue to rise? It's thought now that these mass shooters are simply budding serial killers with the awareness to know with modern technology, DNA, CCTV on every corner and smart phones, they'll be lucky to get away with one murder.

So they go all out.
Is that actually the case though? The MO seems incredibly different. The golden age of these killers absolutely peaked then, as you say. No CCTV, no DNA profiling (Green River Killer wasn’t caught at the time but later on) cross county policing was poor as jurisdictions didn’t keep records from other jurisdictions etc. Bundy benefited from this a lot.

Mass shooters don’t seem to care whom they kill, where serial killers are incredibly targeted. Precise. If someone shoots up a mall then they’ll shoot anyone. I think the mass shootings are reflective of gun availability, rage and anger, serious mental health decline, and racism in some cases. Obviously those elements are present with serial killers but they don’t seem to be one and the same or killing on mass as they can’t get away with serial predation.

I don’t know. You may be on to something though.

Why can't he? He can not say anything and then they go to trial and the evidence is poor proving 'murder' so he get's found not guilty
I doubt it. The police were so sure that they had what they needed to arrest him. It was certain. They’ll had evidence to charge him and then are confident that evidence will hold up in court for a conviction. You don’t necessarily need a body. Stalling now will actually work against him, there’ll be no sympathy from the jury for him if he doesn’t disclose where she is. He should have done it immediately. If his lawyer is any good he/she would look at the evidence and tell him he has over a barrel, so cough up to get some leeway on the sentence.

I doubt it. The police were so sure that they had what they needed to arrest him. It was certain. They’ll had evidence to charge him and then are confident that evidence will hold up in court for a conviction. You don’t necessarily need a body. Stalling now will actually work against him, there’ll be no sympathy from the jury for him if he doesn’t disclose where she is. He should have done it immediately. If his lawyer is any good he/she would look at the evidence and tell him he has over a barrel, so cough up to get some leeway on the sentence.
Or he's found guilty and gets the absolute maximum, no parole.
That is if they have the evidence to prove murder. If they only have the evidence to prove manslaughter then he has a good chance of getting not guilty for murder. I believe police have to pick only 1 of the manslaughter/murder charges, is that correct? So if they choose the wrong one then he may be found not guilty of murder but guilty for manslaughter but because the police didn't charge him with that he gets off?

That is if they have the evidence to prove murder. If they only have the evidence to prove manslaughter then he has a good chance of getting not guilty for murder. I believe police have to pick only 1 of the manslaughter/murder charges, is that correct? So if they choose the wrong one then he may be found not guilty of murder but guilty for manslaughter but because the police didn't charge him with that he gets off?
Good questions, I am not sure. I do believe though from the way they’ve arrested him and been incredibly firm with their details that they have plenty to pin him for murder. It’s all conjecture from us though. But you wouldn’t always need a body to be found guilty of murder.

Are you suggesting my statistics are wrong?

By the way 2% of BF posters are extremely good looking.
I wouldn’t say I am extremely good looking. I’d say I am good looking in an extreme way. So if you’re one for the extreme then I’d be extremely good looking.

Good questions, I am not sure. I do believe though from the way they’ve arrested him and been incredibly firm with their details that they have plenty to pin him for murder. It’s all conjecture from us though. But you wouldn’t always need a body to be found guilty of murder.
Yes but then the other evidence would have to be very strong you'd suggest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he holds out until his lawyer sees all the evidence, to do a deal on a manslaughter charge and then tell the family where he left the body, he'll still get the maximum 20 years. It's only slightly better than convicted of murder with no parole but not by much.

Yes but then the other evidence would have to be very strong you'd suggest
Absolutely. The feeling I get is that what they have is very strong. I think we’d all like to know the details, but I am also feeling pretty guilty wanting to know this when someone’s mum and wife is dead due to this little prick.

They have publicly stated its murder. Not man slaughter.
They HAVE to have evidence that it was murder or they wouldn’t have arrested him for murder…..

If he holds out until his lawyer sees all the evidence, to do a deal on a manslaughter charge and then tell the family where he left the body, he'll still get the maximum 20 years. It's only slightly better than convicted of murder with no parole but not by much.
I get the feeling he won’t be able to cut a deal for manslaughter. If it was manslaughter and him wanting a lesser sentence then he’d have told them where the body is immediately. Plus why would you go to great lengths to hide the body? It’s all very calculated. I don’t think manslaughter will cut it.

Just had a quick search to see if there was any cameras/highway patrol alerts on the Ballarat Facebook page dedicated to this around the 4th Feb.

Nothing really on the 4th but interestingly the attached photo is a week later on Sunday the 11th. There was also a post for "Police with rader set up on magpie road looking at Midland highway" on Wednesday the 7th.

Vic police release a list of all mobile camera locations. Unfortunately the Feb list has been replaced already with the March list so can't check that. That's is if this court loading refers to the same POS

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-18-14-01-41-66_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-18-14-01-41-66_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 102
The only relation to POS and army gear I have found is from a news interview with the number who just randomly dropped a comment saying he saw POS occasionally with his motorbike and wear army gear.
Probably school army cadets in why he had the uniform

Just my opinion here, (I am not claiming any of this as fact) but I think the murder charge is leverage to get him to give up the location of the body. I said they have enough prima facie evidence to charge him with murder, not necessarily enough to get a conviction. I think the position of the accused (possibly with legal advice) is that he is seeking a lesser charge / lesser conviction, and that is why he is remaining silent as to where the body is - he might exchange the location of the body for an agreement to a lesser charge. So it's a "Mexican stand-off".

What about no body no parole ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back