Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:

How could anyone possibly predict what information could come to light prior to the court case.

But I wouldn't be expecting the police to publicly declare any evidence they have. That should be kept between the legal teams & for the court case.

The police have said their main focus will now be on trying to find Samantha's body.
Because a court date of August is locked in maybe ?

Not to speculate on the current case but I've been doing some general reading this evening regarding people who murder (these are from academic journal articles).
The first general comment I want to make is that people who murder often have an offending history and an escalation of offending leading up to the homicide.
The other is a direct quote "In the context of sexual murder, offenders with organized psychological characteristics tend to move the body after committing homicide."

I hope this does not break any rules - please feel free to remove if so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to my previous post. Only 20% of murders involve concealment of the body (e.g., dumping, setting fire to etc.). The psychological characteristics of those who conceal is associated with less emotional reactivity, that is to say these people are more calculated.

The vast majority of murders are known as emotionally expressive, where the perpetrator has been unable to contain their rage and are less organised, therefore more likely to leave the body at the scene of the crime.

Further to my previous post. Only 20% of murders involve concealment of the body (e.g., dumping, setting fire to etc.). The psychological characteristics of those who conceal is associated with less emotional reactivity, that is to say these people are more calculated.

The vast majority of murders are known as emotionally expressive, where the perpetrator has been unable to contain their rage and are less organised, therefore more likely to leave the body at the scene of the crime.
So we are saying he is a pretty calculated piece of work?

Not to speculate on the current case but I've been doing some general reading this evening regarding people who murder (these are from academic journal articles).
The first general comment I want to make is that people who murder often have an offending history and an escalation of offending leading up to the homicide.
The other is a direct quote "In the context of sexual murder, offenders with organized psychological characteristics tend to move the body after committing homicide."

I hope this does not break any rules - please feel free to remove if so.
It’s worth having a read of the sentencing decisions for the murders of Jill Meagher, Masa Vukotic, Eurydice Dixon etc.

In most cases they fit a bit of a pattern. Very dysfunctional upbringing, poverty, physical or sexual abuse, mental illness, substance abuse issues and a history of offending. Dixon’s killer didn’t have the history because he was young but the red flags were everywhere.

In several cases you honestly wonder how they could have been free with their criminal histories. This might be different (most of those cases involve sexual assault and this could be quite different) but one upside is that if he was building to something worse he is out of circulation for now.

Last edited:
It’s worth having a read of the sentencing decisions for the murders of Jill Meagher, Masa Vukotic, Eurydice Dixon etc.

In most cases they fit a bit of a pattern. Very dysfunctional upbringing, poverty physical or sexual abuse, mental illness, substance abuse issues and a history of offending. Dixon’s killer didn’t have the history because he was young but the red flags were everywhere.

In several cases you honestly wonder how they could have been free with their criminal histories. This might be different (most of those cases involve sexual assault and this could be quite different) but one upside is that if he was building to something worse he is out of circulation for now.
It's shocking isn't it? I would have thought what he was building towards occured, tragically

A part that I'm trying to work out the timeline for is based on this quote from a Daily Fail article posted yesterday

"It is understood Stephenson was with his long-time girlfriend and their friends out partying in Ballarat the night before Ms Murphy's disappearance."

Let's believe this is 100% factual. You would presume they arrived and will be leaving together to go back to the property they were house sitting. Obviously, there's several scenarios that could contradict them leaving together (She's tired/sick & he wants to kick on).

I am just trying to wrap my head around her not even having the slightest inkling that something was suspicious with the accused the days after and for the next 5 weeks. I personally would start questioning things in my head about the odd time he may have arrived back to the house. I just cannot conceive the idea she had 0% suspicion or knowledge of that night.

But alas, I am not an investigator!

A part that I'm trying to work out the timeline for is based on this quote from a Daily Fail article posted yesterday

"It is understood Stephenson was with his long-time girlfriend and their friends out partying in Ballarat the night before Ms Murphy's disappearance."

Let's believe this is 100% factual. You would presume they arrived and will be leaving together to go back to the property they were house sitting. Obviously, there's several scenarios that could contradict them leaving together (She's tired/sick & he wants to kick on).

I am just trying to wrap my head around her not even having the slightest inkling that something was suspicious with the accused the days after and for the next 5 weeks. I personally would start questioning things in my head about the odd time he may have arrived back to the house. I just cannot conceive the idea she had 0% suspicion or knowledge of that night.

It's not unusual for one partner to party on whilst the other doesn't.

We have no idea what his gf, friends, family may have suspected at any time during the past 6 weeks. Or whether they contacted the police about their suspicions.

One might suspect their partner is cheating on them if they're acting weird, secretive, distant towards to you .. who would think their partner had murdered someone?

Why are you deliberately making up crap? I'll reiterate, why are you in a true crime thread if you're so repulsed by what perps do to their victims?

Have you ever followed a case before from beginning to end?
Just a word in defence of EM, if their response is regards the supposed Text message attributed to POS & his absolutely vile behaviour. From the word I have it’s False, and made up by a group of imo, very sick individuals themselves to be able to write like that.

I for one have no interest in sharing that information, and EM & everyone else, has the right to express their own feelings, as has been done.

That has no bearing on why they are on a crime forum - some things cross even the broadest of lines, and main stream media holds back on publishing details.

Let’s forget that message & move on please.

Right, and note the Informant and agency are not the same as the other Patrick Stephenson listing.
IDK if same person or not, but the Melbourne hearings aren’t anything to do with Samantha Murphy’s disappearance / murder, so I would expect all those details to be different.

Were they house sitting at that time, or did it start later?

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back