Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
If you don't know what the motives are why are you suggesting my theory of why must be ridiculous?

Where did you get the information from that it was some sort of competition?
I just can’t see anyone dealing with grief/shock by making up atrocious stories.
Maybe you’re right, maybe that is the reason.
It just sounds outrageous to me.

I just can’t see anyone dealing with grief/shock by making up atrocious stories.
Maybe you’re right, maybe that is the reason.
It just sounds outrageous to me.

If they're around the same age as Patrick Orren, their brains aren't even fully matured yet. Mens brains don't fully mature until around the age of 25yo.

(or womens)

I'm confused as to why he has not disclosed the location of the body? It has been said he comes from a decent family? So I can only assume he is denying the murder therefore no body etc. If the Police evidence proving murder is a given obviously he must be pleading not guilty? If he pleads guilty then why not disclose the location of her remains? What do people think the scenario is? I would have thought his father would be asking him to disclose the body if he was guilty otherwise there is more to this?

I'm confused as to why he has not disclosed the location of the body? It has been said he comes from a decent family? So I can only assume he is denying the murder therefore no body etc. If the Police evidence proving murder is a given obviously he must be pleading not guilty? If he pleads guilty then why not disclose the location of her remains? What do people think the scenario is? I would have thought his father would be asking him to disclose the body if he was guilty otherwise there is more to this?
He's been accused of murder. I don't think what type of family he comes from makes any difference at this point. He's a 22 year old adult. Daddy would have no influence. If he did, he likely wouldn't have been doing a lot of stuff he was doing .. particularly murder.

A lot of people convicted of murder don't reveal where the body is.

Last edited:
Who cares if a bunch of kids have an SMS chat about that stuff? Harping on about it isn't going to change it. Cut Kurve some slack. I imagine it's a full-time job moderating here.

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

Think you're on the right track.
As yet no stories of him admitting anything.
So his attitude might be nothing to see here.
Vicpol hopefully got thier ducks in line.
We don't want a little William mess.

It’s possible he hasn’t confessed to killing Samantha. They’ve just charged him on the evidence they have. Whenever the court date is we will see some justice.

Guessing of course, but I wonder if he thinks that without a body they will not be able to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that he had anything to do with her disappearance, let alone that he murdered her.

The only thing I can think is that he is very confident she won't be found. Either that, or if she is found at some future time, her remains will be so decomposed they will not be able to obtain any evidence about how she died or who might have been involved.

Endless possibilities. Control being the main one, I'd say, then there's using it as a means to some kind of deal; another, no body makes it harder to convict, although, if convicted and they don't disclose the body, then I believe they don't get parole or something (haven't read into properly, cbf). Then there's the possibility that he doesn't even know what's going on; you know, with all the talk about him being on a bender the night/s before, it's not unheard of to have a drug induced psychosis before murdering someone. Just have to wait and see!

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Guessing of course, but I wonder if he thinks that without a body they will not be able to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that he had anything to do with her disappearance, let alone that he murdered her.

The only thing I can think is that he is very confident she won't be found. Either that, or if she is found at some future time, her remains will be so decomposed they will not be able to obtain any evidence about how she died or who might have been involved.
Very confident is a long stretch maybe hopeful, and yes feels like that his strategy which has been used in many countries before.

If he denies everything he still has a chance, no matter how slim, he will go free. If he confesses and gives up the body then it's all over. The no body/no parole law is a huge price to pay if he loses the gamble.

I just hope they find her ASAP
It's just so sad for poor SM and her family, and this should never have happened.
I wonder if the accused's family have moved right away ? Interstate or even overseas while this is on going

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's just so sad for poor SM and her family, and this should never have happened.
I wonder if the accused's family have moved right away ? Interstate or even overseas while this is on going
That's right utmost importance for the family now, with all the gossip going around Ballarat the accused's family side of things is stone quiet.

Word on the street is they've left town, and left him to work it out for himself. All heresy like the last few weeks of this thread I guess.

Instead of being able to use things like revealing the body location as a negotiating tactic to reduce the sentence, it should be if they're found guilty later at trial, then every day/week that passes without revealing the location is another year on top of your sentence. I know it's got it flaws and at some point, there's no incentive to reveal it when you've got a ~70yr sentence, but the fact they can potentially reduce the charge in cases like this for cooperating sucks balls.

Maybe he doesn't know? Police either think there is enough evidence without the body, or they are reasonably confident of finding the body before the trial proper.

Word on the street is they've left town, and left him to work it out for himself. All heresy like the last few weeks of this thread I guess.

Instead of being able to use things like revealing the body location as a negotiating tactic to reduce the sentence, it should be if they're found guilty later at trial, then every day/week that passes without revealing the location is another year on top of your sentence. I know it's got it flaws and at some point, there's no incentive to reveal it when you've got a ~70yr sentence, but the fact they can potentially reduce the charge in cases like this for cooperating sucks balls.
I agree.

Maybe he doesn't know? Police either think there is enough evidence without the body, or they are reasonably confident of finding the body before the trial proper.
For the legal eagles here, how much questioning can the accused be subjected to along the way trial from here on in , is there some limit or getting closer to the trial it ceases?

Who cares if a bunch of kids have an SMS chat about that stuff? Harping on about it isn't going to change it. Cut Kurve some slack. I imagine it's a full-time job moderating here.

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF
Could you imagine keeping us in line? Should be on Harry McKays salary

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back