Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Does anyone know : when the police stated that POS deliberately attacked Samantha causing her death, does that 100% means it was deliberate? Or can the police say that in hopes of getting a confession that he accidentally killed her?

police believed the murder was "a deliberate act" and "not a hit and run".

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well they charged him with murder. Couldn't have been an accident in their opinion.

Yes I also lean towards he has hit her with his vehicle, but was it an accident? How would they know whether it was an accident or on purpose anyway? Especially since he isn’t talking. But one would think if it was a true accident and he freaked out and disposed of her body, wouldn’t you confess and give the location of the body? You would receive a way shorter sentence and everyone in Australia wouldn’t think you’re a raging psychopath, just a scared moron. Instead he isn’t talking and not giving up the location? That’s so suspicious and takes my mind off in a different direction.

I haven't seen any direct evidence that a vehicle was involved in any way with SM's death. Clearly a vehicle most probably was involved in the removal of her body, but there is no evidence that a vehicle had anything to do with her actual death. Why is everyone so hung up on the vehicle aspect?

I haven't seen any direct evidence that a vehicle was involved in any way with SM's death. Clearly a vehicle most probably was involved in the removal of her body, but there is no evidence that a vehicle had anything to do with her actual death. Why is everyone so hung up on the vehicle aspect?

We're not sure a vehicle was involved in her actual death of course but his history indicates he's probably a reckless, wild kind of driver.

Yes I also lean towards he has hit her with his vehicle, but was it an accident? How would they know whether it was an accident or on purpose anyway? Especially since he isn’t talking. But one would think if it was a true accident and he freaked out and disposed of her body, wouldn’t you confess and give the location of the body? You would receive a way shorter sentence and everyone in Australia wouldn’t think you’re a raging psychopath, just a scared moron. Instead he isn’t talking and not giving up the location? That’s so suspicious and takes my mind off in a different direction.

One of the points harboured in the Under Investigation program was that of ‘A new clue has emerged: the possible sighting of a damaged vehicle in the area, alluded to by police in a recent statement’.

Unfortunately we’re not privy to information on whether POS was in possession of a damaged vehicle before, or even after, 8am on Feb 4th (2024)

But I do think it’s feasible that he did hit Sam with his vehicle.

And I also think the ‘hitting her with his vehicle’ part ( if that’s what happened) could very well have been an accident.

However it’s quite possible that she wasn’t killed in that accidental collision.

Instead, for some bizarre unknown reason, it perhaps POS then went about killing her ! That IMO would constitute the deliberate act of Murder.
I think a deliberate act of Murder would also eventuate if he knew she was injured but failed to get help for her, and she then Died as a result of those injuries not being medically attended to.

So:

did he have a big night out, get home as day was dawning, have argument with girlfriend so huffed off to pick up his car from party location
did he pick up car, and still angry, go for a furious drive - some how colliding with Sam ( would she hear a car if wearing earbuds & listening to music)
did he freak out when he hit her
did he think he’d go down for driving after his big night out - already had a DD offence pending
did he perhaps think she was dead as a result of the accident ( although it’s my understanding that in Australia, accredited first aid training is essential for Electricians)
did he put her in his vehicle and drive off somewhere with her
Police obviously do not have CCTV / traces of all his movements - otherwise they’d have followed the trail to where her body is.

As the story goes, Patrick worked for his Dad, and they were a close knit family. Dad ran his own electrical & telecommunications (data cabling etc I suspect) business, Mum taught at local school, his 2 sisters were also employed locally (locals can fill in the specifics I’m sure)

It’s always bothered me that a 22 year old (in my book that’s still a ‘boy’ when things are tough) would not ring his Dad who he’s supposedly so close to, in tears, saying Dad I’ve f’ed up. I hit a woman in my car and I think she’s dead. I don’t know what to do.

Instead, as the story goes, POS somehow managed to quite quickly, in broad daylight, in a public area, remove all traces of SM from the collision site, and also from all the areas in & around that have been searched by Police, they Dogs, the SES teams, the coordinated public search teams, and the many people who will have traversed the surroundings country side over the almost 8 mths since her disappearance.

He also apparently then went on with his life as usual for the next month ( 2 weeks of which we’re told he was under police surveillance) until Police pounced, and after 30 hours of questioning (during which he’s reported as having maintained his silence j he was charged with Murder. … and his whole family up & leave…. their home, their business, their work responsibilities - oh, and their only son who is in deep doo doo ! ( and I’m not discounting nor minimising the horror of what they will be going through, knowing their son & brother is charged with this dreadful act )

Did I say Bizarre . . None of this makes any sense to me.

and after 30 hours of questioning (during which he’s reported as having maintained his silence j he was charged with Murder. … and his whole family up & leave…. their home, their business, their work responsibilities - oh, and their only son

Yep it's really really odd, mostly as we know close to nothing.

I remember thinking that the 30 hour interview must have sent them all to sleep if he was silent, though I think what they actually said was that he was 'uncooperative'.
It's possible that he spent 30 hours telling them pork pies which is probably quite reasonable if he doesn't think they're likely to locate a body and have only circumstantial evidence. Or if he is actually innocent.

One of the points harboured in the Under Investigation program was that of ‘A new clue has emerged: the possible sighting of a damaged vehicle in the area, alluded to by police in a recent statement’.

Unfortunately we’re not privy to information on whether POS was in possession of a damaged vehicle before, or even after, 8am on Feb 4th (2024)

And I also think the ‘hitting her with his vehicle’ part ( if that’s what happened) could very well have been an accident.

However it’s quite possible that she wasn’t killed in that accidental collision.

Instead, for some bizarre unknown reason, it perhaps POS then went about killing her ! That IMO would constitute the deliberate act of Murder.
I think a deliberate act of Murder would also eventuate if he knew she was injured but failed to get help for her, and she then Died as a result of those injuries not being medically attended to.

So:

did he have a big night out, get home as day was dawning, have argument with girlfriend so huffed off to pick up his car from party location
did he pick up car, and still angry, go for a furious drive - some how colliding with Sam ( would she hear a car if wearing earbuds & listening to music)
did he think he’d go down for driving after his big night out - already had a DD offence pending
did he perhaps think she was dead as a result of the accident ( although it’s my understanding that in Australia, accredited first aid training is essential for Electricians)
Police obviously do not have CCTV / traces of all his movements - otherwise they’d have followed the trail to where her body is.

As the story goes, Patrick worked for his Dad, and they were a close knit family. Dad ran his own electrical & telecommunications (data cabling etc I suspect) business, Mum taught at local school, his 2 sisters were also employed locally (locals can fill in the specifics I’m sure)

It’s always bothered me that a 22 year old (in my book that’s still a ‘boy’ when things are tough) would not ring his Dad who he’s supposedly so close to, in tears, saying Dad I’ve f’ed up. I hit a woman in my car and I think she’s dead. I don’t know what to do.

Instead, as the story goes, POS somehow managed to quite quickly, in broad daylight, in a public area, remove all traces of SM from the collision site, and also from all the areas in & around that have been searched by Police, they Dogs, the SES teams, the coordinated public search teams, and the many people who will have traversed the surroundings country side over the almost 8 mths since her disappearance.

He also apparently then went on with his life as usual for the next month ( 2 weeks of which we’re told he was under police surveillance) until Police pounced, and after 30 hours of questioning (during which he’s reported as having maintained his silence j he was charged with Murder. … and his whole family up & leave…. their home, their business, their work responsibilities - oh, and their only son who is in deep doo doo ! ( and I’m not discounting nor minimising the horror of what they will be going through, knowing their son & brother is charged with this dreadful act )

Imagine you hit someone in my car while under the influence in a bush area with no witnesses and there are 2 choices:
A) drive off in a panic.
B) stop and pick up a tall heavy wounded woman and dispose of her body.

I find it incredibly weird that anyone would choose B

You would shit your pants and drive away surely!
(Actually I’d stop and call the ambulance and hand myself in because I wouldn’t be able to live with myself! But let’s go with choices A or B for sake of the hit and dispose theory. It just doesn’t make sense!)
Has anyone ever heard of any other cases where someone hits a person by accident and puts them in their car to dispose of or even kill? I feel like flight or fight would take over and you would flee the scene, not stop and risk being seen at the scene??

Imagine you hit someone in my car while under the influence in a bush area with no witnesses and there are 2 choices:
A) drive off in a panic.

(Actually I’d stop and call the ambulance and hand myself in because I wouldn’t be able to live with myself! But let’s go with choices A or B for sake of the hit and dispose theory. It just doesn’t make sense!)
Has anyone ever heard of any other cases where someone hits a person by accident and puts them in their car to dispose of or even kill? I feel like flight or fight would take over and you would flee the scene, not stop and risk being seen at the scene??

Agree, and this is why I am skeptical that a vehicle was involved in SM's actual death.
If police believed a vehicle was involved in causing the death, there would have been public appeals for sightings a certain make, model, colour of vehicle. There would have been forensic examination of trees and tyre tracks around the crime scene. POS vehicle (and likely those of close friends and associates) would have been impounded and thoroughly forensically investigated. I think a vehicle had nothing to do with her death, but is only potentially of interest because of the moving of the body.

So what was the key piece of evidence which led police to POS a couple of weeks after SM disappeared? Phone pings and CCTV should have led police to POS within a few days. It should not have taken two or three weeks. Perhaps POS came into possession of SMs airpods, and connected them to his phone (which would immediately be picked up if SM had set 'find my device' for her airpods). This would lead police straight to POS - then 30 hours of questioning as to how he came into possession of SMs airpods. Perhaps he doesn't remember, or perhaps he is afraid to say where he got them. Perhaps there is no independent witness who can provide POS an alibi for that morning? Reasonable cause to charge POS, but not enough to get a conviction without further evidence.

So:

He didn’t work for his Dad. I don’t know where that’s come from but there’s no evidence he worked for his dad.

I don’t believe so no. I don’t think he lived with them either. I think that’s a common assumption but not a correct one. Happy to be corrected by someone local who might know for certain.
Wasn’t he house-sitting somewhere with his girlfriend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think it’s known where he was on the Saturday night before Samantha went missing.

He was arrested at a place that he was house sitting.

Perhaps he did regular house sitting?
He & his girlfriend were living at the place they were said to be house sitting.

And I believe on the Sat night before SM disappeared, he started off the evening at a birthday celebration for an elderly relative, at a private house - then ( as most young people tend to do ) he went out on the town, leaving his car at that residence …. all just my opinion from following many reports over time, and certainly happy to be corrected by anyone in the know.

Last edited:
A) drive off in a panic.

I agree, in saying that it’s not unheard of, for example A mother and son duo who tried to cover up the hit-and-run death of an Aboriginal woman, by moving and burying most of her body in Darwin’s rural area, have pleaded guilty to a string of serious charges.

For all the hit and run devotees that believe that somehow cctv of the crash (and therefore disposing of Samantha’s body) after would allow vicpol to erroneously charge POS with murder, the above suggests otherwise.

I agree, in saying that it’s not unheard of, for example A mother and son duo who tried to cover up the hit-and-run death of an Aboriginal woman, by moving and burying most of her body in Darwin’s rural area, have pleaded guilty to a string of serious charges.

For all the hit and run devotees that believe that somehow cctv of the crash (and therefore disposing of Samantha’s body) after would allow vicpol to erroneously charge POS with murder, the above suggests otherwise.

Right, so hit and run causing death. If this was the case in POS instance, he would have given up where the body is and would charged with hit and run causing death, instead he is not talking and still being charged with murder.

Right, so hit and run causing death. If this was the case in POS instance, he would have given up where the body is and would charged with hit and run causing death, instead he is not talking and still being charged with murder.

In Victoria, 'hit and run', or more correctly 'leaving the scene of a vehicle accident' is a prescribed offence under S61 of the RSA. POS has not been charged with this, nor have the police alleged this. In fact, VicPol specifically stated they were NOT alleging a 'hit and run'. The fact is that POS has been charged with murder. Any discussion of 'hit and run' should probably cease until such a charge or allegation is made by police or prosecution.

He's young so I'd not expect him to be savvy enough to play this game but while he refuses to give up her location, he has some leverage with the potential for a reduction in charges.

In Victoria, 'hit and run', or more correctly 'leaving the scene of a vehicle accident' is a prescribed offence under S61 of the RSA. POS has not been charged with this, nor have the police alleged this. In fact, VicPol specifically stated they were NOT alleging a 'hit and run'. The fact is that POS has been charged with murder. Any discussion of 'hit and run' should probably cease until such a charge or allegation is made by police or prosecution.

Well, we know he didn't walk in to the forest and murder her, that he had wheels to move her in so in that respect a vehicle was probably involved.

Of course there's a possibility still, that he didn't do it even if on the face it seems unlikely he wasn't involved whatsoever.

Well, we know he didn't walk in to the forest and murder her, that he had wheels to move her in so in that respect a vehicle was probably involved.

Of course there's a possibility still, that he didn't do it even if on the face it seems unlikely he wasn't involved whatsoever.
Actually we don't know any of that. He may have walked or run into the forest. After all, she did. There's no evidence of POS entering the forest in a vehicle, or at all, that we know of.

But I agree it's almost certain vehicle was involved in shifting Samantha's body.

I don’t know if that assumption is correct either.

In theory, he could have parked on the many dirt paths and walked into the forest and murdered her.

Personally I think the murder had nothing to do with his vehicle, other than being used to get him there and presumably to move the body.

I think the call out to look for a damaged vehicle, was because in the relevant timeframe his car was picked up on cctv somewhere.

I’m guessing his car was damaged before this incident, given his driving record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back