Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
I’m thinking that Police knew very early on that they weren’t searching for items of her clothing - I’m thinking they had the Apple Watch & Phone data telling of her death & location very early on - possibly found linked to home computer.

Someone pointed out (thank you ) there’s static cameras in the forest to monitor wildlife, so it’s a fair bet that they got pics of the crime, and which possibly show her still fully clothed on ‘removal’ from the place of her murder.

I think perhaps police figured the phone wasn’t with her at that reported 5pm ping, hence the effort to locate that, and any information / location data it may contain.

I’d be interested to know more about these cameras, if they upload dats, if there’s a ‘control room’ somewhere that monitors the camera activity & what they capture - as it appears Police were on to things very quickly -and it seems POS was unfortunate that he picked a spot with a camera, which lined up with her App data.

Did Police really leave him running free, under surveillance, for 2 weeks, in the hope he’d lead them to A
Sam’s body ?

And if that’s the case, I’d suggest that his girlfriend, parents etc were all in the dark. On that basis, I don’t think anyone dobbed him in, I’d suggest it was all visually captured and backed up by her relayed Apple data. Pretty solid case one would think .
I think you’re on the mark.

I’d suggest it was all visually captured and backed up by her relayed Apple data. Pretty solid case one would think .
In Crikey today.
Don't currently have access to the full article.

But here's the link to the R v Youseff (No 2) [2024] NSWSC 1260 murder case ruling decision this week in relation to the non-admissability of the iPhone step data being used as evidence due to concerns about its accuracy and usefullness.

'Decision: The Cellebrite report purportedly depicting the activity sensor data recorded on an Apple iPhone is excluded.'

'Murderer’s iPhone step data was ignored as proof that he was responsible for shooting

A NSW Supreme Court justice said a murderer's Apple Health data could not prove that he was moving at the time of the attack.

Cam Wilson
Oct 10, 2024
An Australian judge has rejected attempts by police to use step data from an iPhone’s health app to prove that a murderer was responsible for a shooting.

Last month, NSW Supreme Court Justice Sarah McNaughton struck out a smartphone data report as evidence in the case of Bahra Youseff, who was found guilty of murdering Adnan Salameh last week.

In a detailed explanation for the decision published this week, McNaughton laid out why she deemed a report about the smartphone’s step data as inadmissible due to concerns about its accuracy and usefulness, believing that it was more likely to mislead than to inform.
...'

We had a guy came to QLD to work left Ballarat 13/14 days after SM’s murder….no job, no family, no people to come to here and never took up a residence. Insisted on being paid cash and lived out of motels. Gave our entire Hospital the “creepy” vibes. Even our Mgr couldn’t understand how she got it so wrong.

Yes I reported him. He left our employ 2wks ago and is headed back south, uncertain if he’ll return to Ballarat but he’s a long time resident there so I think he will eventually. He is interviewing for jobs on his way south as my mgr provided a verbal phone reference, an honest one!! Because it was pretty obvious to us and the number of complaints from patients/staff about him he was never an orderly and if he was he wasn’t good at it at the Ballarat Hospital either!!

I gave his rego plate, mobile number, the fact he remained in hotel accomodation here and never took up a residence. Claiming he was a sovereign citizen. That he had a “panel damaged white car” reportedly seen in the national park on the morning of SM’s murder. His linkedin profile changed drastically twice one bagging out our nurses and staff but not naming our hospital so Exec Team couldn’t do anything about it. To becoming a land surveyor in WA for past 4yrs with a much younger photo of himself. Provided the link to an 11pg tirade he wrote to the Victorian Mental Health Commission which was very telling and named Ballarat Hospital.

How he was asking our young nurses what they carried on themselves for protection and where the national parks were to “go walking and view the wildflowers”. How EVERYONE in our hospital found him “odd” and “creepy” even the men. And some of our Doctors even gave him a wide berth when he’d be loitering the Exec Suites after hours. Would sign off shifts and still hide in odd places within the hospital which he was spoken to about.

I don’t think crimestoppers were overly interested and they simply said every tip would be looked into. Personally her body could be anywhere between the Gold Coast and Ballarat.

Last edited:

We had a guy cane to QLD to work left Ballarat 13/14 days after SM’s murder….no job, no family, no people and never took up a residence. Insisted on being paid cash and lived out of motels. Gave our entire Hospital the “creepy” vibes. Even our Mgr couldn’t understand how she got it so wrong.

Yes I reported him. He left our employ 2wks ago and is headed back south, uncertain if he’ll return to Ballarat but he’s a long time resident there so I think he will eventually. He is interviewing for jobs on his way south as my mgr provided a verbal phone reference, an honest one!! Because it was pretty obvious to us and the number of complaints from patients/staff about him he was never an orderly and if he was he wasn’t good at it at the Ballarat Hospital either!!

I gave his rego plate, mobile number, the fact he remained in hotel accomodation here and never took up a residence. Claiming he was a sovereign citizen. That he had a “panel damaged white car” reportedly seen in the national park on the morning of SM’s murder. His linkedin profile changed drastically twice one bagging out our nurses and staff but not naming our hospital so Exec Team couldn’t do anything about it. To becoming a land surveyor in WA for past 4yrs with a much younger photo of himself. Provided the link to an 11pg tirade he wrote to the Victorian Mental Health Commission which was very telling and named Ballarat Hospital.

How he was asking our young nurses what they carried on themselves for protection and where the national parks were to “go walking and view the wildflowers”. How EVERYONE in our hospital found him “odd” and “creepy” even the men. And some of our Doctors even gave him a wide berth when he’d be loitering the Exec Suites after hours. Would sign off shifts and still hide in odd places within the hospital which he was spoken to about.

I don’t think crimestoppers were overly interested and they simply said every tip would be looked into. Personally her body could be anywhere between the Gold Coast and Ballarat.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...son-charged-with-murder.1376829/post-83580754

We had a guy came to QLD to work left Ballarat 13/14 days after SM’s murder….no job, no family, no people to come to here and never took up a residence. Insisted on being paid cash and lived out of motels. Gave our entire Hospital the “creepy” vibes. Even our Mgr couldn’t understand how she got it so wrong.

Glad to hear you’re safe Murderystuff.
You can only do what you can do.
At least you’ve been able to give CS his rego and mobile.
(Lucky you had his mobile number.)

Surprised you haven't called CS already - you first posted about this on Wednesday and you had your suspicions well before then. The call would probably take less than 10 minutes.
I’ve waited to see what happened in August with the hearing and seeing it got adjourned AGAIN. He didn’t get any less creepy in our workplace. Refused to do mandatory training for his role until he was told he’d be dismissed. He left our employ by resignation 2 weeks ago and I reported him the Thursday before his last shift (7days prior) and gave location of motel.

One of our nurses is an ex-copper and she had him put on a “watch list” a few months back simply based on his behaviour. She advised I contact CS because she couldn’t get involved.

We all still legit think it wouldn’t be impossible to think he did this. Again not planned to hurt anyone but push came to shove in an interaction and oops SM is dead. He panicked and came to QLD? That’s our theory and the police are probably not interested in any other POI’s….

Really? When, and who said that?
Really early in the disappearance. And that a car with panel damage was sighted in the national park at the time. I think they said it was white which is why I also think my guy might be involved. Nothing was ever mentioned about seeking out a car after that really and it just seemed like a lead dismissed. Who knows really? The police have been very close lipped on why they think they’ve got their man 🤷🏼‍♀️

I can’t fathom how the young fella was out clubbing the night before and then finds himself in the national park? It doesn’t make any sense to be out bingeing on coke the night before clubbing and then randomly finding yourself alone in the NP killing someone.

Last edited:
Murderystuff might just be quietly observing? I hope they are ok though. It's not nice having to deal with a creep like that.
Thanks Ladies, I’ve just been very busy at work and taking in everyone else’s observations…. I am indeed a woman though (lol) I don’t see too much of my suspect nowadays (but hearing plenty) and we no longer speak to each other. Like ships passing in the afternoon on the ward. To be fair he’s not a creep just really odd and creepy….. if he was out in the general populace he’s someone you wouldn’t go out of your way to talk to and would just pass by. Which also makes him “easy to hide in plain sight.”

Any relevant unsolved crimes in QLD in the last few months?
Actually a local girl hung herself a couple of months ago in the botanic garden golf course. Natasha Ryan infamous “girl in the closet” from the days of Brendan Fraser’s murders in Rockhampton. He confessed to killing her but 4/5yrs later she was found hiding in her boyfriends house in a cupboard which jeopardised all the murders Fraser actually did.

My weirdo stated to our Unit Mgr that he liked to walk around Yeppen and the Golf Course before and after his shifts. His shifts end at 2230 and commenced at 1400. His motel was within walking distance. Her husband stated there was no way she could get up that tree by herself but police deemed it a suicide. Literally only just got told this just now….. who knows? I thought it odd she’d kill herself after all this time and she became a nurse and was living a relatively normal happier life.

Glad to hear you’re safe Murderystuff.
You can only do what you can do.
At least you’ve been able to give CS his rego and mobile.
(Lucky you had his mobile number.)
All our ward staff numbers are accessible if we need to swap shifts…. Only reason I had it was he needed me to cover for him.

Anyway I’ve done my bit, not anonymously either. What the police do or don’t do with it….. But wouldn’t it be bloody strange if it were him?!?! The QLD Crimestoppers answered my call so who knows if it’s even gone through the channels yet?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All our ward staff numbers are accessible if we need to swap shifts…. Only reason I had it was he needed me to cover for him.

Anyway I’ve done my bit, not anonymously either. What the police do or don’t do with it….. But wouldn’t it be bloody strange if it were him?!?! The QLD Crimestoppers answered my call so who knows if it’s even gone through the channels yet?
That’s creepy, no way he’d be getting my number.
He was in Rocky then?
Depends on how much evidence they have on POS but police seem confident. (Not to say he’s guilty though.)
The main thing is you’ve reported him and if police had him under surveillance they must have concerns about him in general.

Last edited:
I’ve waited to see what happened in August with the hearing and seeing it got adjourned AGAIN. He didn’t get any less creepy in our workplace. Refused to do mandatory training for his role until he was told he’d be dismissed. He left our employ by resignation 2 weeks ago and I reported him the Thursday before his last shift (7days prior) and gave location of motel.

One of our nurses is an ex-copper and she had him put on a “watch list” a few months back simply based on his behaviour. She advised I contact CS because she couldn’t get involved.

We all still legit think it wouldn’t be impossible to think he did this. Again not planned to hurt anyone but push came to shove in an interaction and oops SM is dead. He panicked and came to QLD? That’s our theory and the police are probably not interested in any other POI’s….
Wow! Ex-cops can have people put on "watch lists"?!?!?! That's incredible!

Remove this Banner Ad

Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back