SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously Port Adelaide have a great history in the SANFL, and are the best in at SANFL level (even though i hate to say it). The only way you can change the opinion of Victorians is if you win more AFL flags.....I believe that the SANFL, might not have been the equal to the VFL but it definately wasn't far off......But what happens to all the other flags....I gave the opinion that all the other flags should be considered ours :D , which obviously can't be, but you'd have to give it some thought because supposedly we where formed from all the SANFL clubs....Anyway been done to death, but your flags obviously mean something. Just my opinion though.

LBJ23 said:
Obviously Port Adelaide have a great history in the SANFL, and are the best in at SANFL level (even though i hate to say it). The only way you can change the opinion of Victorians is if you win more AFL flags.....I believe that the SANFL, might not have been the equal to the VFL but it definately wasn't far off......But what happens to all the other flags....I gave the opinion that all the other flags should be considered ours :D , which obviously can't be, but you'd have to give it some thought because supposedly we where formed from all the SANFL clubs....Anyway been done to death, but your flags obviously mean something. Just my opinion though.

the SANFL was equal to and if not greater in some era's right up until about the late 80's - 91!!!! IN my eyes, the SANFL will always the be the better competition but i do acknowledge the skills and quality of athletes in the AFL, but the kind of footy is still equal, its just the SANFL is more accomodating to the spectator, ie: closer to the action and more personalised!! :D

LBJ23 said:

Yes I see your points.
However I wasnt attempting to draw attention to Ports history in the SANFL prior to them leaving that comp and joining the AFL.

I was trying to raise thoughts and perspective on the perception of the SANFL prior to Ports abdication of the SANFL.

It is my perception that the value of the SANFL history and premierships won in that comp prior to 1990 ( including those of other SANFL clubs) is now held in less regard, (by the majority of South Australians, were they once werent ) purely because Port are now in the AFL.

refer to my previous post...it certainly isnt in any Crow supporters interest to suggest the Premiership won by North Adelaide in 1972 was the equivalent of a Premiership won by Collingwood in the early 1900's...as by doing so they would be devaluing a Crows flag...

but more so ,would be valuing a Port premiership prior entering the AFL flag the same credence...thereby defeating any argument they would have against the PAFC...

My perception is..it is in the Best interests of the AFC supporters to now denegrate, the traditions, histories and achievements of Any SANFL club prior to the advent of the Crows, because in not doing so they will give Port supporters weight in their arguments, that SANFL flags were of the same significance and equivalence to a VFL flag....

for nearly 100 years those same supporters upheld the strength and equivalence of the SANFL to the VFL, from players, teams, Premierships, Champions of Australia...but now they denounce everything to do with the traditions and strength and history of the SANFL.....

dare I say it...Port are doing what they can to maintain the dignity and preservation of the pre AFL history of the SANFL....because by acknowledging the value of a Port premiership as a VFL equivalent....

They are also acknowledging a North or Sturt or West or Glenelg or Norwood Premiership to be of equivalent stature....

PA1870

Jimmy i'm glad to except that SANFL Flags=VFL Flags back in the day....You guys are probably right i've never seen any footy before the mid 70's on film or live....Just going by other opinions....If our teams beat the VFL's teams in the Champions Of Australia it obviously means the comps where either close or equal, or to ******** victorians off even more, better than theirs. Does anyone have a state of origin win/loss record?? & know the history of the Champions Of Australia games?? Could clear up a few things.

Port Adelaide 1870..........If at worst they (Victorians) could say your flags you have in the SANFL are worth half a VFL/AFL Flag, that would make it 18 Flags.....How many do Carlton & Essendon have??....Just a thought though.

cam said:
. Eg. I think Brian Cunningham was the only footy player back in the 80's that could kick with both feet!

Hey, Ralph Sewer (without doubt the greatest player in the SANFL during the 70's & 80's) could actually kick right foot - it's just that he never, ever chose to!!!! ;)

Fatty

LBJ23 said:
Obviously Port Adelaide have a great history in the SANFL, and are the best in at SANFL level (even though i hate to say it).

Yeah, I agree - they were the best. Although wasn't the period from 66 - ??78 great. Port played and lost a number of GF's, including the "Rick Davies" GF in '76. (Now that is one game that I would love to have on tape).

Port was that team you either loved or hated. In fact everybody's second favourite team seemed to be "whoever was playing Port"

Fatty

FattyLumpkin said:
Yeah, I agree - they were the best. Although wasn't the period from 66 - ??78 great. Port played and lost a number of GF's, including the "Rick Davies" GF in '76. (Now that is one game that I would love to have on tape).

Port was that team you either loved or hated. In fact everybody's second favourite team seemed to be "whoever was playing Port"

Fatty

Fatty, I have the 76 GF tape and they sell them at the SFC. However, it might be easier to get one at the first game when they have the merchandise fan or get a sturt mate to get one for ya. I got mine at rd 2 last year along with a season review of the 84 season. It was a great GF!!!!! :D

Jimmy said:
Fatty, I have the 76 GF tape and they sell them at the SFC. However, it might be easier to get one at the first game when they have the merchandise fan or get a sturt mate to get one for ya. I got mine at rd 2 last year along with a season review of the 84 season. It was a great GF!!!!! :D

That tape of the 1976 GF, is that the entire match? I have 65 minutes of highlights but not the entire game.

Adelaide Hawk said:
That tape of the 1976 GF, is that the entire match? I have 65 minutes of highlights but not the entire game.

yes it was the entire game with interviews and celebration footage etc... :D I used to have ages ago just an hours long highlights but it got lost?? but thankful i have the full game!!

raboyle said:
You'd find a lot of old SANFL vids at Videos Direct 2 U in Adelaide. Not DVD mind you.

Fox Footy Extra showed the odd SANFL oldie or two but they scrapped that the lousy f@#!ers.

Recommended viewing other than what has been suggested so far would probably have to be the 1984 Grand Final between Norwood and Port Adelaide.

And yes the 1976 GF too... the only time you'll ever see AAMI... sorry, Football Park filled past its capacity!!!

Footy Park (was and always will be) - Sturt v Port 1976 Grand Final attendance - 66,897 - WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!

I've found that most clubs sell copies of their GF wins on VHS. I know Norwood has 1975, 1978, 1982 and 1984 for sale ($30). I highly recomend the 1984 video for those non-south aussies wanting to see how good the old SANFL was. '84 is a cracker of a game! It's also a great present for that not so special Port fan in your acquaintance! ;)

"History Makers!"

Footy Park (was and always will be) - Sturt v Port 1976 Grand Final attendance - 66,897 - WHAT A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!

That's only the official attendance. Apparently, it was closer to 80,000.

It is heartening to know that the Port Adelaide FC have given as much joy to opposition supporters in recent times (Sturt '76, Norwood '84, South '64, Torrens '53, North '71, '72) as it has heartache. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magpiespower said:
That's only the official attendance. Apparently, it was closer to 80,000.

It is heartening to know that the Port Adelaide FC have given as much joy to opposition supporters in recent times (Sturt '76, Norwood '84, South '64, Torrens '53, North '71, '72) as it has heartache. :D

Let's not forget the late '60's, when Sturt just kept on beating the maggies. Even for a West man it was heaven.

I know the 73, 85 & 86 GF are sold down at the bay, apparently the 73 GF is rated by many as one of the best games of footy ever played....I haven't even seen it yet :( but it's on my list of things to do........Theirs more than a few GF's i don't want to see though...********in magpies 88, 90 & 92 to be exact :mad:

LBJ23 said:
I know the 73, 85 & 86 GF are sold down at the bay, apparently the 73 GF is rated by many as one of the best games of footy ever played....I haven't even seen it yet :( but it's on my list of things to do........Theirs more than a few GF's i don't want to see though...********in magpies 88, 90 & 92 to be exact :mad:
Trust me, easily the best game of footy I've ever seen and I'm a North supporter!
Even better if you read up a bit about the stories behind the game.

The Way It Was Videos:

Hey guys, I have the 1982 and 1983 videos but am looking to find the rest from 1981 and 1984 to 1989.

Would anyone who does have them be willing to let borrow or perhaps make a copy? or even sell if they are willing? I am looking to pay for services as well!

Email is spaunovic84@hotmail.com

Cheers all.

Steve

If anyone has the 1988 game between sturt and port (round 19?) crowd 38000, Russell "elbows" Johnston game :D in full I would be more than willing to part with some coin for a copy.

Channel 9 replayed the game in full as it was so good, so I know someone out there has a copy.

Already tried channel 9, no go. :mad:

LBJ23 said:
apparently the 73 GF is rated by many as one of the best games of footy ever played....I haven't even seen it yet

Make sure you do, it's from a time when footy was all about the players, and when the game was great.

smithy said:
If anyone has the 1988 game between sturt and port (round 19?) crowd 38000, Russell "elbows" Johnston game :D in full I would be more than willing to part with some coin for a copy.

Channel 9 replayed the game in full as it was so good, so I know someone out there has a copy.

I remember that game well as it was part of a double header in which North and Centrals(I think) were the main game, I got there at 3/4 time of the Port Sturt game and couldn't believe the size of the crowd, when that game finished there were only about 10,000 people, if that, left for the main game! lol

I was down the southern end and had a clear view of the elbow, it was sickening.

smithy said:

Channel 9 didn't get the rights back to SANFL until 1989. I remember it clearly because Kym Dillon hosted the post grand final footy show where Ginever and Williams kissed on-air. Ah, live television.

And then they practically gave them away soon after.

I'm pretty sure Channel 7 still had the SANFL rights in 1988 (could be 10 though). The video I have of the 1988 Grand Final is taped from the ABC (Daryl Hicks special comments!) So maybe they're your best bets.

I remember that game well as it was part of a double header in which North and Centrals(I think) were the main game, I got there at 3/4 time of the Port Sturt game and couldn't believe the size of the crowd, when that game finished there were only about 10,000 people, if that, left for the main game! lol

I planned on staying for the second game but...

For quite a few years in the 80's here in Mt Gambier we'd get the 7 gf telecast on our local channel and the ABC telecast as well, still rememebr reading the stats liftout in the Sunday Mail in those days until my eyes practically burnt holes through the page!

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Back