SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to the earlier part of this thread, I think most Adelaide supporters, at least ones older than say 25, are very proud of their SANFL club's history, and don't rate SANFL premierships any lower than VFL premierships, not until Adelaide came in anyway. Certainly the 1970s were strong and most of the 80s. Around then the player drain to the VFL was getting into full swing, and the crowds were shrinking.

So from my point of view, yes I do rate Port's SANFL premierships as highly as VFL premierships. The key is that I rate neither as highly (not lowly, just not as highly) as AFL premierships, of which Brisbane leads with 3, Adelaide and some others have 2, and Port now has 1. I draw a line around 1990. Of course there is no clear dividing line between the VFL and AFL era, but one has to be drawn somewhere (despite the AFL re-writing history).

RoosterWedgie said:
If you've got the C7 86 tape you'll see me give the cameraman a nasty gesture in the 2nd quarter. :D

No shiit i remember that, seen the replay about a hundred times, hahaha thats funny you looked pretty ********ed off.

Goat said:
Back to the earlier part of this thread, I think most Adelaide supporters, at least ones older than say 25, are very proud of their SANFL club's history, and don't rate SANFL premierships any lower than VFL premierships, not until Adelaide came in anyway. Certainly the 1970s were strong and most of the 80s. Around then the player drain to the VFL was getting into full swing, and the crowds were shrinking.

So from my point of view, yes I do rate Port's SANFL premierships as highly as VFL premierships. The key is that I rate neither as highly (not lowly, just not as highly) as AFL premierships, of which Brisbane leads with 3, Adelaide and some others have 2, and Port now has 1. I draw a line around 1990. Of course there is no clear dividing line between the VFL and AFL era, but one has to be drawn somewhere (despite the AFL re-writing history).
Couldn't have said it better myself.

LBJ23 said:
No shiit i remember that, seen the replay about a hundred times, hahaha thats funny you looked pretty ********ed off.

I was lucky to get tickets to that game, ended up going with a pub group that had that front row in front of the members, this bloody camerman was in our way all game. He then has the cheek to turn the camera on me when the Bays got about 9 or 10 goals up in the 2nd qtr, an obvious response I thought! lol

I was only just 16 at that stage but as you could probably tell I had a bit of an attitude, he he.

For those footy fans who want to chase up footage with the TV stations, remember that ADS 7 and SAS 10 changed channels around Proclimation Day 1987 after Keating forced cross media ownership law changes and there was a mad frenzy to buy and sell stations. Holmes a Court brought 10 but owned 7 in Perth so he drove the changeover.

So if you want to get some footage of when "7" had the footy with Mike Coward, Ian Day, Peter Marker etc best bet is to contact ADS 10 in North Adelaide.

As someone said earlier, Channel 9 lost a lot of footage in a fire they had.

By an aside what did Ian Day mean when he used to say "he's got the ball checkside of centre"??

And why is a checkside call so? A few mates and I rang the Oatey residence one Saturday night, in 1987, to see If Jack could explain why, seeing he invented the kick and it's name. Mrs Oatey answered, said Jack was at the club, said she didn't know the origin of the name but, talked footy with us for 15 minutes. ;)

Just went to my local video store and found the 85 :D & 90 :mad: way it was videos....also found a Football Series 83 Video, there is a number on the back, haven't rang the number it's 8212 2668 for Video Entertainment Systems could work don't know.

Still don't know why i watched the 1990 one, every time i see it i think i might be able to change the outcome of the GF:(

More interested in the SANFL making a DVD on the history of our great comp, at least until the Crows came in, in 1990...But i think i'll just give up. Wont happen.

Goat said:

Ditto !

PA1870

Goat said:

Great post! only if the vic/media propaganda bandwagon gave us some credit :rolleyes: .Go the power

Thats Power said:
Great post! only if the vic/media propaganda bandwagon gave us some credit :rolleyes: .Go the power
Technically, your signature stating 35 AFL/SANFL flags is correct. But if in your club listing you state "Central", you lose the bragging rights to the first 34. A lot of people might interpret that as "bandwagonning".

McAlmanac said:
Technically, your signature stating 35 AFL/SANFL flags is correct. But if in your club listing you state "Central", you lose the bragging rights to the first 34. A lot of people might interpret that as "bandwagonning".
Why?i have been a port adelaide supporter also, i go for the central but i support p.a.f.c as well.I dont support the magpies for obvious reasons, but yes i used to support P.A.F.C 1870-1996.Theres a lot of port fans who are centrals fan.

Thats Power said:
Why?i have been a port adelaide supporter also, i go for the central but i support p.a.f.c as well.I dont support the magpies for obvious reasons, but yes i used to support P.A.F.C 1870-1996.Theres a lot of port fans who are centrals fan.

the PAFC was the magpies during 1870 to 1996 (and still are really, despite what the club tell us ;) ) so are you saying you started supporting centrals after 96?? yo may need to explain this a bit clearer?it sounds like you went from the maggies to centrals for no reason?? how can you support the magpies pre 96 and then not at all in 97??? they are the same team?? :rolleyes:

Jimmy said:
the PAFC was the magpies during 1870 to 1996 (and still are really, despite what the club tell us ) so are you saying you started supporting centrals after 96?? yo may need to explain this a bit clearer?it sounds like you went from the maggies to centrals for no reason?? how can you support the magpies pre 96 and then not at all in 97??? they are the same team?? :rolleyes:
FFS...another crow fan trying to preach us our history :rolleyes: ..this topic was done to death on the main afl forum..as you can see here , again here and once again here , PAMFC is totally seperate. Please dont bother preaching us our history.Dont worry about who i support..worry about sturt instead :rolleyes: .
About centrals.. i always liked the centrals yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats Power said:
About centrals.. i always liked the centrals yeah.

Firstly, I am not a cows supporter. Where the hell does it say that? :rolleyes:

Secondly, you are saying you went for port pre 96, yes? But dont now, correct? But go for port in the AFL? correct? Now you go for Centrals in the SANFL after switching from the magpies or did you like both teams pre 96 which is very hard to believe??. This just stinks of bandwagon.

I dont give a stuff about your history, that, i was stirring you about ;) . But the other stuff you are trying to say is a little strange. How can you not support the magpies? Afterall, they are still port adelaide, just in the SANFL.

Jimmy said:
Firstly, I am not a cows supporter. Where the hell does it say that?
Typical signs of a crow fan..but ok if your not..then its my mistake
Jimmy said:
Secondly, you are saying you went for port pre 96, yes? But dont now,
correct? But go for port in the AFL? correct? Now you go for Centrals in the SANFL after switching from the magpies or did you like both teams pre 96 which is very hard to believe??. This just stinks of bandwagon.

I dont give a stuff about your history, that, i was stirring you about ;) . But the other stuff you are trying to say is a little strange. How can you not support the magpies? Afterall, they are still port adelaide, just in the SANFL.
You are just confused :rolleyes: .Port Magpies shares the same tradition as PAFC but has no relationship whatsoever with Port Adelaide Power.As for centrals.. i always liked Centrals..i went to centrals games even when the P.A.F.C was in the SANFL.For the last time.. PAMFC has nothing to do with PAP.Just go a bigfooty search on topic its been done to death before.. many times.... all port supporters agree that PAMFC has nothing to do with PAP.. and ********ing stop callin me names like bandwagoner.. you dont know enough about me to call me that ..FFS sakes read these
Pred said:
How many times we need to tell you that PAMFC has nothing to do with Port Adelaide Power.It was created as a spinoff from P.A.F.C.Go look at the term "spinoff"
Once again for you
Macca19 said:
Correct. NOW they are completely unrelated.No relations whatsoever with the Port Adelaide Power. Now. Not before 1996. There was no two clubs before then. Just one. The Port Adelaide Football Club. The one in the AFL now, that used to be in the SANFL.

Simple!
One more
Port Adelaide 1870 said:
No, You arent turning..you are just not 100% up with the tackle count here.

The PAFC has not won 36 Premierships...there are only 34 Premiership cups with PAFC engraved on them..

There are 2 with PAMFC engraved on them.

The PAFC has won 35 Premierships...34 SANFL and 1 AFL

regards
PA1870
Port Adelaide 1870 said:
All and sundry Know they arent playing the PAFC....But beating anything with Port, or the Magpies, or Port Adelaide attatched to it, whether they have won 36 or 2 Premierships is..quite simply manna from Heaven for followers of the other 8 SANFL clubs these days.

The PAFC and the PAMFC share the same heritage.
Yet another
Macca19 said:
I dunno about any other Port supporters but I for one do not try to claim that our SANFL premierships are the equal to VFL premierships, but I want it known that Port Adelaide Football Club, currently known as the Power actually won those premierships and that they count in our club history and our club history only.
Last one
Port Adelaide 1870 said:
Its an adverserial stance : based on your perspective...
Not on the events that occured in History..

I.e. the Formation of the PAFC in 1870, ( well researched and documented)
Their successful reign in the SANFL from 1877 until 1996,
their attempt at joining the AFL in 1990 as the Magpies, their regrouping, changing their nick name from Magpies to Power andLeaving the SANFL forever from the end of the 1996 season.

a club being formed to replace them called thePAMFC to carry on a Port Adelaide Presence in the SANFL..hence the Premierships since 1996 are attributed to a PAMFC ....not the PAFC that had left.

However a Port Adelaide based club has won 36 premierships in the SANFL..But the Port Adelaide Football Club had only won 34 of them...
You think you know more of our clubs history?
PAMFC share the same heritage as PAFC but has nothing to do with PAP anymore!
The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club was established during 1996 to replace the Port Adelaide Football Club that moved into the AFL in 1997.

So of course the 2 premierships (1998 & 1999) they won will never be included in the Port Adelaide Football Club's history of 35 premierships.
Just because you see Port Adelaide.. you are making conclusions here.Delusional at best.A lot of Power fans dont follow PAMFC in the SANFL.I am not the only one..plus i have always been a centrals fan with P.A.F.C but since PAFC left SANFL..i am a centrals fan now. :rolleyes:

Goat said:
I don't really want to get into the whole debate, but I can't help to ask how does the fact that the PA Magpies claim to have won 36 premierships fit into it all? Either the clubs are related, or one club is lying/double-counting.

http://www.portmagpies.com.au
Its because they share the same heritage till 1996.. 34 SANFL flags.Now PAMFC won 2 sanfl flags which the PAFC cant claim...hence 36 SANFL flags.. PAFC =34+1 AFL/SANFL flags

Ok, i'll leave the whole 'bandwagon' thing alone yet i still cant understand hwo you 'supported' both the dogs and port pre 97, but anyway, ill let that go thru to the keeper...but..... in your reply to Goat's post, you say that PAFC cant claim PAMFC's 2 sanfl flags which is right, but then if the PAMFC were created in 97 to replace the PAFC in the SANFL, how can a team just being created have a history over a hundred years?? surely they both cant claim history pre 97. Surely its the PAFC's history pre 97 not the PAMFC history as they were only created in 97, hence they are only 8 or 9 years old. You can not argure with this surely.

:confused: :confused:

Jimmy said:
Ok, i'll leave the whole 'bandwagon' thing alone yet i still cant understand hwo you 'supported' both the dogs and port pre 97, but anyway, ill let that go thru to the keeper...but..... in your reply to Goat's post, you say that PAFC cant claim PAMFC's 2 sanfl flags which is right, but then if the PAMFC were created in 97 to replace the PAFC in the SANFL, how can a team just being created have a history over a hundred years?? surely they both cant claim history pre 97. Surely its the PAFC's history pre 97 not the PAMFC history as they were only created in 97, hence they are only 8 or 9 years old. You can not argure with this surely.

:confused: :confused:

Its called heritage.. PAMFC is formed to replace PAFC in the SANFL..as a spinoff.. spinoff creates a new identity..but PAMFC retains the old heritage which it shared with PAFC pre 1996.Not hard to understand is it???
PAFC 1870-1996 .Theres no PAMFC in that period.

Thats Power said:
Its called heritage.. PAMFC is formed to replace PAFC in the SANFL..as a spinoff.. spinoff creates a new identity..but PAMFC retains the old heritage which it shared with PAFC pre 1996.Not hard to understand is it???
PAFC 1870-1996 .Theres no PAMFC in that period.

In my previous post, i was going to say '... and dont give me that heritage crap'!

looks like i can say it now.

Heritage is bull******** and you know it. How can they have heritage from the PAFC when the PAFC dont even want the PAMFC, but 'oh, here ya go, we hate your guts, but have our heritage' :rolleyes:

nice try, but your arguement is a joke, end of story!

Sorry, I've only just started reading this...

But my question is - If the ~old~ Port fans don't follow PAMFC now - then who does?

royaldave said:
Sorry, I've only just started reading this...

But my question is - If the ~old~ Port fans don't follow PAMFC now - then who does?

:D :D

Luckily for the PAMFC there are some old port fans that believe in their true team and club, not some corporate remake and have stayed true to their club, even if it is port :eek:

Jimmy said:
In my previous post, i was going to say '... and dont give me that heritage crap'!

looks like i can say it now.

Heritage is bull******** and you know it. How can they have heritage from the PAFC when the PAFC dont even want the PAMFC, but 'oh, here ya go, we hate your guts, but have our heritage' :rolleyes:

nice try, but your arguement is a joke, end of story!
You are a complete idiot.. if you dont believe what i say.. stop reading my posts.

Jimmy said:
:D :D

Luckily for the PAMFC there are some old port fans that believe in their true team and club, not some corporate remake and have stayed true to their club, even if it is port
No respect for heritage.. dont bother answering my posts then.Last time i will say it
PAFC 1870-1996
PAMFC -2 SANFL flags
PAFC 1 AFL flags
it was only PAFC before 1996.Both had 34 SANFL flags
Hence PAMFC 36 SANFL flags
PAFC 35 AFL/SANFL flags
you think your some expert ********er.Post it on the port board and get some ********ing insight :rolleyes:
You sir a) totally incorrect and b) are a complete ********er

What is the name of the football club from 1870-1996 ? Port Adelaide Football Club
What is the name of the football club that joined the AFL? Port Adelaide Football Club
What is the name of the football club that plays in the SANFL? Port Adelaide Magpies Football club :rolleyes:
Upto 1996 it was only PAFC :rolleyes: with 34 SANFL flags
Does the name PAMFC and Port adelaide football club sounds the same to you. Post it on port board. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Back