SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

This is from http://www.portmagpies.com.au

In 1997 the Port Adelaide Football Club joined the Australian Football League, in many ways the crowning achievement of more than 100 years of unrivalled success. It maintained its presence in the SANFL through the formation of the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club, who share the records and history from 1870 to 1996.

This quote is interestingly conflicting in that

a) it recognises that TWO clubs now exist.

b) BUT it says "IT maintained its presence in the SANFL" - hence it implies that through the PAMFC it ('it' being PAFC) is still in the SANFL.

royaldave said:

b) BUT it says "IT maintained its presence in the SANFL" - hence it implies that through the PAMFC it ('it' being PAFC) is still in the SANFL.
Does Port adelaide football club and Port adelaide magpies football club sounds the same to you? the name engraved in the SANFL club is not PAFC its PAMFC.PAFC is now playing the AFL :D
frankly, as a port supporter, i'm insulted that the SANFL would think that what they have done in this instance is acceptable. if, instead, the PAMFC was created with a clean slate (ie: no pre 97 history) i would have been happy to participate in SA football still, but alas, the PAMFC are just imposters for the stupid IMHO & the SANFL have just turned this into a farce.
BTW, i dont think i would see "PAMFC" engraved on 34 of those pre 97 premiership trophies they claim :D do you?Putting it very simply, the Port Adelaide Football Club became too big for the SANFL and was invited to join the national league. Port's submission did not include club representation in the SANFL however as has been stated before a number of times, the SANFL (directors of the other SANFL clubs) who still wanted to feel important, did not want an SANFL without a "Port Adelaide" so the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club was formed to continue with the SANFL history of the PAFC.

Think about it - why would an SANFL club or any club for that matter, spend heaps of time and money to win an AFL licence and secure that club's future only to hand it over to another entity?

yob said:
You know what? If people want to discuss this topic which has already been done to death, they can do it in the million other threads on it. Don't hijack an SANFL history thread for this crap.
Tell that to jimmy.. he started his ******** . I told him to search bigfooty for his topic ..cause this was done to death.. but some people love ******** stirring.

Thats Power said:
Tell that to jimmy.. he started his ******** . I told him to search bigfooty for his topic ..cause this was done to death.. but some people love ******** stirring.

im far from convinced, but alas i am over it. I apologise for hijacking this thread, but it was just too tempting. Thank you 'Thats Power' for being a willing player ya tossa :D ;)

Thats Power said:
, i'm insulted that the SANFL would think that what they have done in this instance is acceptable. if, instead, the PAMFC was created with a clean slate (ie: no pre 97 history) i would have been happy to participate in SA football still, but alas, the PAMFC are just imposters for the stupid IMHO & the SANFL have just turned this into a farce.
. Port's submission did not include club representation in the SANFL however as has been stated before a number of times, the SANFL (directors of the other SANFL clubs) who still wanted to feel important, did not want an SANFL without a "Port Adelaide" so the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club was formed to continue with the SANFL history of the PAFC.

?

Sorry I'm a tad confused, were'nt you rabbiting on about ''a proud heratige'' in a previous post ?, & now the PAMFC are ''imposters for the stupid'' ?
& going by your little history lesson your giving us, the PAMFC were FORCED to form a club by the directors of the other eight clubs to ''feel important''.
Is this correct ? are you serious ?

royaldave said:

"IT" being a club from the Port Adelaide district.....

The history also tells you "That a new club was formed to replace Port Adelaide Football Club and maintain "Its " presence in the SANFL"....a continuous Presence by a Club from the Port Adelaide area...Not the Continuance of the PAFC, but an unbroken presence by a Port Adelaide based representative in the SANFL..Whether that be the PAMFC or the Port Districts Football Club or Alberton United or Ethelton FC or Portland FC,

The PAMFC was chosen as a name and colours to try and maintain a perceived continuance and rivalry, In essence to retain the income stream that a club with a Magpies moniker would give the SANFL and those that wished to still be part of a SANFL, Port Adelaide district based football club at local level.

regards

PA1870

Hollypig said:
Sorry I'm a tad confused, were'nt you rabbiting on about ''a proud heratige'' in a previous post ?, & now the PAMFC are ''imposters for the stupid'' ?
& going by your little history lesson your giving us, the PAMFC were FORCED to form a club by the directors of the other eight clubs to ''feel important''.
Is this correct ? are you serious ?

Carn you mighty ***** !

PA1870 :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide 1870 said:
"IT" being a club from the Port Adelaide district.....

The history also tells you "That a new club was formed to replace Port Adelaide Football Club and maintain "Its " presence in the SANFL"....a continuous Presence by a Club from the Port Adelaide area...Not the Continuance of the PAFC, but an unbroken presence by a Port Adelaide based representative in the SANFL..Whether that be the PAMFC or the Port Districts Football Club or Alberton United or Ethelton FC or Portland FC,

The PAMFC was chosen as a name and colours to try and maintain a perceived continuance and rivalry, In essence to retain the income stream that a club with a Magpies moniker would give the SANFL and those that wished to still be part of a SANFL, Port Adelaide district based football club at local level.

regards

PA1870

:eek: :rolleyes:
I smell bull********. Unfknblvabl what some people will try and make you believe. If this came from some official PAFC sanctioned release or something like that, then god have mercy on their souls!!!!

Not stirring, but PA1870, are you saying that:

- PAFC formed 1870 won 34 premierships then entered the AFL

- PAMFC formed 1996/7 to represent Port region but no links to PAFC and so had 0 premierships, but have since won 2

- most old Port supporters don't recognise the PAMFC as old Port, and only the last 2 flags count for them, and their website is misleading because the SANFL forced this strange situation upon them?

Do opposition fans of PAMFC and PAFC feel the SANFL's credibility is lessened by having this fraud club as part of the league?

royaldave said:
Do opposition fans of PAMFC and PAFC feel the SANFL's credibility is lessened by having this fraud club as part of the league?

To me and the rest of the SANFL fans I know, it is still the Magpies of old, just they are crap now. There are a number of maggies fans that believe the SANFL team is the same one. They are the true maggies supporters!!!

Goat said:

- PAMFC formed 1996/7 to represent Port region but no links to PAFC and so had 0 premierships, but have since won 2

- most old Port supporters don't recognise the PAMFC as old Port, and only the last 2 flags count for them, and their website is misleading because the SANFL forced this strange situation upon them?

Whenever Sturt are handing out a hiding to the maggies, there fans always come back with 'we have won 30 blah blah premierships' :D THey mostly still believe that the team in the SANFL is still the true maggies.

I am also confused as to how they can claim the 'heritage' but then push them away by saying there is no link there :rolleyes: FFS, there is some stinky shxt down at Alberton

I don't give a fat rat's cracker what anyone from Port Adelaide says.
The Magpies that won 34 premierships until 1997 are still Magpies and they're still Port Adelaide and now they've won 36.
The AFL team is the new kid on the block ... created from the scum and sewage that swells down that part of the world ... it has a different nickname, wears a different guernsey and plays in a different competition.
The only thing they've got in common is the ferals who follow them.

correct

Formed out of the PAFC and as a seamless continuining Port Adelaide presence in the SANFL

- most old Port supporters don't recognise the PAMFC as old Port,

They cant be the Old Port[/I]..as the old Port was the Port Adelaide Football Club

The link is..a continued Port Adelaide presence born out of the PAFC that was always a part of the SANFL from 1877..The Magpies Nickname did not leave the SANFL in 1997 it was allocated to the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club

and only the last 2 flags count for them, and their website is misleading because the SANFL forced this strange situation upon them?

A Port Adelaide based Football club has represented the district in the SANFL since 1877, the PAMFC and the PAFC share the same heritage....Everyone hates them equally..noone could develop a hatred for a new club as quickly as everyone did for the PAMFC or the PAFC if they were not conjoined twins... :D Those that wanted vengence on the PAFC are now enjoying the spoils......

regards

PA1870

[/QUOTE]

Well I don't like it. They either are the same club or they aren't. They've either won 30+ prems, or two. Its a disgrace to the history of Aussie Rules football that such a situation has been allowed to arise.

If they are not PAFC's SANFL side then they are an imposter and not entitled to lay claim to a history that is not theirs. Shared? Absolute bollocks! I don't know why PAFC stands for it. Its a slap in the face to PAFC's fans and all players past and present that won them a record number of premierships.

I can quite understand that the SANFL would want to 'replace' Port Adelaide's presence in the SANFL - and certainly there's precedent for that all over the country with new clubs stepping into a vacated district. Some have taken over colours, logos and names - but never their playing history!

But this is the first case I've seen where such a club has laid claim to the previous club's records.

I don't have a problem with it.

Pt Adel Magpies formed in 1870 have 36 SANFL flags.

Pt Adel Power (formerly Magpies) also formed in 1870 have 34 SANFL flags (because they have the same history as the Magpies until the end of 1996, & then formed a new team to be known as the Power when they joined the AFL in 1997) and 1 AFL flag.

Easy as that.

LBJ23 said:
I don't have a problem with it.

Pt Adel Magpies formed in 1870 have 36 SANFL flags.

Pt Adel Power (formerly Magpies) also formed in 1870 have 34 SANFL flags (because they have the same history as the Magpies until the end of 1996, & then formed a new team to be known as the Power when they joined the AFL in 1997) and 1 AFL flag.

Easy as that.

I dont think TWO clubs formed in 1870. As royaldave said, its all bollocks. LBJ23, I'm guessing you are young and unfamiliar with the port tradition and how much this would be a slap in the face to 'old' port.

This whole thing of 'replacing a side in an area or district to keep the presence' is a crock of sht. It makes a mockery of football. :mad:

Not that young Jimmy...., What i ment was the 2 clubs have the same history until the end of 1996 when the power where formed for the AFL in 97 and the magpies continued on in the SANFL......doesn't worry me mate it's port adelaide i'm not going to argue over something about port adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Back