Opinion Say NO to a 2020* Grand Final at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to imagine that at least part of the opposition to the SA grand final is due to the Crows and Port respective ladder position.

That being said I live in Queensland and I don't want us hosting the grand final up here this year either as I think it's a huge waste of money, so I certainly think that argument is valid and stands on its own merit.

One thing I'll disagree with is the finger pointing at the Victorian government as the one who 'created this mess'. That credit should go to the federal government who have so far managed to slime their way out of it thanks to Murdoch.
Yeah...well I live in Victoria....and trust me...it IS the Victorian governments fault.

Malinaskaus is a rabid Port supporter from well before they were in the AFL, and what a great character test this would be for him to come out and say this money is better invested into healthcare and hospitals for the people of South Australia - instead of lining the pockets of an organization that has done literallynothing for the people of SA over the last 30 years.
You’d have to crunch the numbers. If it brought more in than what it cost (all things considered) it’s a no brainer.

You’d have to crunch the numbers. If it brought more in than what it cost (all things considered) it’s a no brainer.
It can't though. There's no money making element to it because the elements of the day that make money can't be done in this climate. You can't have a full crowd, for a start. Or fully-sold corporate boxes. You'd be paying the AFL for the right to host the game and padding their bottom line. Even considering it when the threat of a second wave is ever-present and you have no idea what could be happening in 2 weeks let alone 2 months is negligent, not even taking into account the amount of debt every state government and territory is taking on right now.

If by some miracle, the SA Government found the money behind a couch, they should still be obliged to spend that money on critical things that society needs right now, as would any government in the same position. The WA Premier was 100% correct in saying they would not be begging the AFL for the Grand Final because they have more important things to be doing with their time, let alone their money.

If anyone is going to do it, QLD have earned it. They shouldn't have to spend $30m on it.

Well there’s no need to say no really, It won’t happen as the GF will be in the state where the Victorian teams are regularly hubbing.
plus an irratative negotiatve process earlier has us out the door. If the AFL want a cash incentive it’ll be in Perth.
If they want a Vic team to win with every advantage it’ll be at the Gabba.
Odds on it’ll be at the Gabba. They’ve acclimated now and West Coast and Port will have to travel.

It can't though. There's no money making element to it because the elements of the day that make money can't be done in this climate. You can't have a full crowd, for a start. Or fully-sold corporate boxes. You'd be paying the AFL for the right to host the game and padding their bottom line. Even considering it when the threat of a second wave is ever-present and you have no idea what could be happening in 2 weeks let alone 2 months is negligent, not even taking into account the amount of debt every state government and territory is taking on right now.

If by some miracle, the SA Government found the money behind a couch, they should still be obliged to spend that money on critical things that society needs right now, as would any government in the same position. The WA Premier was 100% correct in saying they would not be begging the AFL for the Grand Final because they have more important things to be doing with their time, let alone their money.

If anyone is going to do it, QLD have earned it. They shouldn't have to spend $30m on it.
SA government were wishy washy with borders and rulings so they don’t deserve it.
Perth might get it but Vic clubs think it’s too much advantage and North wants to sell them a game. Lol.
It’ll be Gabba cos all them Vic clubs are resting there now.

SA government were wishy washy with borders and rulings so they don’t deserve it.
Perth might get it but Vic clubs think it’s too much advantage and North wants to sell them a game. Lol.
It’ll be Gabba cos all them Vic clubs are resting there now.
And Anastasia should say thank you we will take your *final and pay $0 for the inconvenience.

My question is what will be the go for the 2021 season.

Large crowds still won’t be the norm I would think. Is the season going to start later in the hope of larger crowds?

Queensland deserve the GF. They saved the AFL season and took the risk - WA and SA made it difficult at the start (and still do) and that is what should be the remembered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peak AFC right there. :laughing:

Any other club would take any and every advantage they possibly could towards wining a flag but then again, they'd actually win them.
WTF? You may have missed it, but we haven't won a game. So why would I want a GF at AO this year? I like the idea of a truly neutral venue which we never see at MCG if VIC team in GF.

Pretty obvious the blatant bias you have because Port may be in the gf.

You have no clue what the economic benefits might be versus what the state government would pay. Don't pretend like you have a clue.

Is there any substantial economic benefit? There will be SFA interstate tourists.

Would be better to go for the Boxing Day Test - more international coverage and is over a possible 5 days, not two hours.

$30m?!
Imagine both the sheer amount of money the AFL could earn *and* the national promotion that the game would receive if they held a GF auction* every year...

*conditions apply:
- states cannot host for more than two consecutive years
- stadium capacity must reach at least 65k
- GF auction includes hosting rights for Brownlow Award and GF Parade

I reckon the states should rope a dope the AFL if this was at all feasible. Tell the AFL that a bidding system for the GF would be a financial windfall and then once implemented each state not named Victoria to quietly agree to not bid against each other....watch the melts when the AFL is obligated to award the GF to AO for a $1.

WTF? You may have missed it, but we haven't won a game. So why would I want a GF at AO this year? I like the idea of a truly neutral venue which we never see at MCG if VIC team in GF.

I think you need to follow a conversation.

If the Crows were top the attitude would be reversed.

To which you replied

I wouldn't feel any different. I think it would be awesome to have a genuinely neutral ground GF.

Not taking the chance at a home GF when your team is top is so hilariously AFC. Perhaps you could volunteer some draft picks while you're at it to make up for the scandalous suggestion of a home GF.

I think you need to follow a conversation.

To which you replied

Not taking the chance at a home GF when your team is top is so hilariously AFC. Perhaps you could volunteer some draft picks while you're at it to make up for the scandalous suggestion of a home GF.
It’s a moot point. Also, I maintain that a truly neutral GF venue is far better than what we currently have. And truly, were you always such a knob?

It’s a moot point. Also, I maintain that a truly neutral GF venue is far better than what we currently have. And truly, were you always such a knob?
A neutral is better than an away, but a home is better than a neutral. Moot or not, they hypothetical scenario was proposed and you answered based on those circumstances. Given everything that is against you to turn down an advantage if one were to present itself is absolute insanity.

These kinds of attitudes used to cause me despair. I'd read in disbelief that people who were supposedly after the same thig I was (An AFC premiership) would so gladly time and again shoot themselves in the foot and ask for another bullet. Ya think the Vic supporters are saying "Ya know, it would be great if we had a neutral GF, or a GF hosted by the team that earns it", no they aren't becuse they have a good thing going and they'll fight to keep it.

And truly, were you always such a knob?
Yeah, probably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Say NO to a 2020* Grand Final at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back