Scariest things seen on a footy ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Sachse being made a paraplegic in 75 was sad and hearing the players telling the story of how they reacted was spooky. Bulldog players blame themselves for moving him because they didn't know what to do. Very sad. Even to a 10 year old who saw it and had to ask Dad what was going on.

Imagine the circus it would have become with today's TV coverage. 100 gruesome replays to depress his family even more. A media witch hunt on the Fitzroy player (can't remember his name - O'Keefe?) who ran into him. Peter Larkins doing a demonstration with a skeleton on the boundaryline. The umpire's mike picking up the crack. The media makes all these injuries scary. The ghoulish fascination with replaying the injuries sicken me. I turn off.

Another bad one was Michael Voss' broken leg. It wasn't the impact, it was the medic running over to look at it/put him on the stretcher. He picked up his leg and it just sagged down half way between his knee and ankle.

I tried to find footage on youtube, and there was none. But I found this nice passage of play instead.
[youtube]-xh5N6yPa9U[/youtube]

My mum knows Danny Morton and I can vouch for the fact that his neck still gives him trouble. As for scariest things on a footy ground, I'm very surprised that nobody's mentioned this but Nathan Eagleton's heart attack in the middle of the match was by far the scariest thing I'd ever seen on a footy field. I thought he was dead.

That vision of Richard Osborne laying on the ground motionless, after that head clash was the worst thing I've seen. What made it more melodramatic was the ambulance coming into the arena to take Ossie away. Didn't know whether Ossie was still with us. That was a 1993 game against Geelong at the SCG I think.

The first thing mentioned is the first thing that comes to mind too actually.

I was watching the game on the TV when that happened and to actually see an ambulance on the field with a guy in serious trouble, after such a massive head clash, well it looked pretty bloody awful at the time.

James McDonald landing on his head and almost snapping his neck in Round 1 against Hawthorn a few years back ('03/'04?) at the MCG (HFF Punt Rd End, Southern Stand Side). Was sitting maybe 10-15 rows back, it was sickening. Russell Robertson later telling the media he heard the noise and thought the worst...

John Barnes' upper arm at Princes Park was my other one.
2 girls 1 cup... that was hilarious whoever pulled that one out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a picture of Creswell whacking his kneecap back in:

8xkkz6.jpg

You never see soccer players getting hurt above the waist.

You'd expect that considering the game is generally played below the waist. :rolleyes:

Although players do end up with shoulder/head injuries. Petr Cech almost had his career ended with a fractured skull. John Terry almost had his head kicked off diving for a header.

Just had a look again at that milburn-silvagni one and its rather sickening just watching his lights go out straight away, and then the way hes just lying on his back there is rather full-on... :S

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXrRX0PbvyY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXrRX0PbvyY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Just had a look again at that milburn-silvagni one and its rather sickening just watching his lights go out straight away, and then the way hes just lying on his back there is rather full-on... :S

[youtube]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXrRX0PbvyY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jXrRX0PbvyY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Watch the way SOS' neck snaps back as well

Geelong were well and truly in a sniping mood that day

Here's a picture of Creswell whacking his kneecap back in:

8xkkz6.jpg
Thats not that scary compared to some things on here. I've done it five times myself. Not terribly nice to look at though. Tell you one thing, its a massive relief when its back in though. The good part is that most often the player will avoid serious long-term injury, it's more of an inconvenience in alot of ways.

When Dunstall slid into Earl Spaulding's knee going for a mark at Waverley in the early 90's and his forehead got caved in.
Sickening sight with his eyes rolling back into his head and the massive dent in his forehead appearing. :eek:

That one with Osborne having a head clash with another player and convulsing on the ground at the SCG was horrible, even more horrific when the ambulance came onto the field.
Same as Peter Caven getting smashed into 48-years later by Plugger at the SCG.

Once saw a Burnie Dockers' reserve player go down with a smashed knee at North Hobart in a TFL match, I heard the huge crack from the immediate opposite side of the ground (it sounded like one of the support posts in the old Ryde Street Stand had snapped) with a howling wind carrying the sound away from our direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scariest things seen on a footy ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Back