SCG - Whats going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely in the agreement it says they are supposed to supply us with a 40000+ seat stadium in which to play our games.

I would have thought there'd be a basic quality requirement. What's to stop them demolishing all the stands so they can completely rebuild the ground and still forcing the Swans to play there with a capacity of zero?

The SCG was good when in it's hey day everyone running down the grass at the Hill so they could turn around and see the scoreboard replay.

It has gone downhill ever since they concreted over the grass.

SYDNEY'S round-five clash with Melbourne on April 28 now appears certain to go ahead at the SCG, after the successful testing of temporary lighting at the ground last Saturday night.

There had been calls for the clash to be switched to Telstra Stadium, after two lights towers were removed during redevelopment work on the site of the old Hill.

But representatives from the AFL, the Swans and Network Ten said they were satisfied with the two banks of temporary lights - fixed on top of the Bill O'Reilly Stand, and hung from a crane.

"From the naked-eye perspective, it was OK. It didn't seem any different to the rest of the ground," Sydney's football manager, Andrew Ireland, said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/scg-gets-goahead-for-night-clash/2007/04/17/1176696836982.html

Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) 147m x 136m
Colonial Stadium - Melbourne 159m x 130m

Football Park - Adelaide 165m x 133m
Wollongabba Cricket Ground (the "Gabba") - Brisbane 160m x 139m
Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Melbourne 160m x 139m
Optus Oval - Melbourne 160m x 139m
Manuka Oval - Canberra 164m x 136m
Subiaco - Perth 170m x 122m
York Park - Launceston 165m x 135m
Baytec Stadium (formerly Kardinia Park/Shell Stadium) - Geelong 169m x 115m
Stadium Australia - Sydney 159m x 118m

There is no 'official' ground size. SCG is 6 m wider than Colonial and 12 m shorter. Do you measure from goal to goal, boundry to boundry or in square metres?

Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) 147m x 136m
Colonial Stadium - Melbourne 159m x 130m

Football Park - Adelaide 165m x 133m
Wollongabba Cricket Ground (the "Gabba") - Brisbane 160m x 139m
Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Melbourne 160m x 139m
Optus Oval - Melbourne 160m x 139m
Manuka Oval - Canberra 164m x 136m
Subiaco - Perth 170m x 122m
York Park - Launceston 165m x 135m
Baytec Stadium (formerly Kardinia Park/Shell Stadium) - Geelong 169m x 115m
Stadium Australia - Sydney 159m x 118m

There is no 'official' ground size. SCG is 6 m wider than Colonial and 12 m shorter. Do you measure from goal to goal, boundry to boundry or square meters?

So why don't they take the first 10 rows out at the redevelopment end and add 10 metres to the playing surface and make it ideal for AFL footy?

So why don't they take the first 10 rows out at the redevelopment end and add 10 metres to the playing surface and make it ideal for AFL footy?

Why would they want to do that for?

All the posters here who reckon it is the worst ground in the AFL obviously haven't been there - from an atmosphere perspective it is a cracker!! Not a sanitised venue - it feels like a footy ground (even if a lot of the crowd have no idea what is going on)...

With any crowd over about 20K it beats a dull game at TD with 30K - only thing thye could improve is toilet access (particularly for the ladies) - apart from that it would be my favorite ground - reminds me (in a good way) of the way footy used to be - they even let everyone on the ground after the game for a kick!!

I quite like the ground itself to watch games at, but then again, I always liked Princess park, as it was nice and close to the game. Having said that, I do think the swans should grow some **** and tell the scg trust where to go. They have the belief that it is a cricket ground first and foremost, and the football is just there to give them money. Which was a pretty similar attitude the MCG had until the mid 90’s. But 3 cricket internationals a year, and the pura cup, wont pay the bills. Its time they were reminded of that, with a move to Stadium Australia (as much as I hate the ground! It’s a pain to get to, and not very well designed when it comes to moving people in and out).

I also like going to the SCG - sitting in the stands you feel very close to the action, and the atmosphere is really good. Yes, the crowd claps every time a player marks the ball, and some complain about the ref, etc. But the ground itself is fine. It used to be 1m wider in circumference (and obviously also closer to the fence) until I think it was Richo in 1995 injured himself collecting the fence. It's also a lot easier for a lot of people to get to than Homebush.

Why would they want to do that for?

All the posters here who reckon it is the worst ground in the AFL obviously haven't been there - from an atmosphere perspective it is a cracker!! Not a sanitised venue - it feels like a footy ground (even if a lot of the crowd have no idea what is going on)...

With any crowd over about 20K it beats a dull game at TD with 30K - only thing thye could improve is toilet access (particularly for the ladies) - apart from that it would be my favorite ground - reminds me (in a good way) of the way footy used to be - they even let everyone on the ground after the game for a kick!!

I was there for the Swans/Hawks elimination final in 96! Great ground to watch footy at but when the forward 50mtr arc is chopped off by the centre square, you know there are issues! About 10 mtrs too short for AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

SCG - Whats going on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back