Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

Listen to the applause and excitement at the games every time he wins a contest - we are collectively a very supportive group.

EDIT: snipped the post - thought I was on the hawks board.

Generally yeah, although up until recently there had always been at least a couple of hawks "supporters" sitting near me at the games calling him "clangers" etc. When there was, me and my mate would go extra hard and cheer our guts out for him.

It's a shame these types are so short sighted, they would get a lot more satisfaction from him coming good if they had of gone the whole nine yards with him from the start.

Hopefully a few of them might have learned a lesson from this.

Schoey smashed his direct opponent when the game was on the line. Gumby got a few junktime goals. I wouldn't say Schoey beat Gumby but I also wouldn't say he was beaten either.

Exactly. When the game was still in the balance, Schoenmakers thrashed Gumbleton and was a potent attacking force.

I was very impressed with Gumbleton's workrate subsequently. Shame a few other Essendon players didn't follow his lead and keep their heads up and work hard. But then, as he was the only one presenting, he got most of the opportunities.

I'm not sure why Schoenmakers cops so much shit, he doesn't deserve it. From what I've seen of him, he looks like a good, promising young key defender in a very good side. He gets the oppositions best forward every week and he's only 21 FFS.

To the people that give him shit: Give the guy a break.

Will be interesting to see if clarkson decides to put him on Hawkins next week.

I'm sure he will. He hasn't been shielded from the big forwards before.

Will Podsiadly be back? If he isn't, he will be getting a lot of help from Gibson

I'm sure he will. He hasn't been shielded from the big forwards before.

Will Podsiadly be back? If he isn't, he will be getting a lot of help from Gibson
He is emergency this week, so I suspect he will be up for selection next week (there is probably a decent chance he comes in today as a late change.

We might even go super tall in the forward line next week with Hawkins, pods and Walker to try and stretch the Hawks for height.

He is emergency this week, so I suspect he will be up for selection next week (there is probably a decent chance he comes in today as a late change.

We might even go super tall in the forward line next week with Hawkins, pods and Walker to try and stretch the Hawks for height.

I hope you do so many have tried and failed. With 3 tall forwards its much harder to keep them separate so we are able to help each other out. Then if you don't mark it we will cut you up on the rebound. There is no way i would ever play more 2 tall forwards against us unless they all mobile

I hope you do so many have tried and failed. With 3 tall forwards its much harder to keep them separate so we are able to help each other out. Then if you don't mark it we will cut you up on the rebound. There is no way i would ever play more 2 tall forwards against us unless they all mobile
Even with 2 talls Schoenmakers will be one out at times with Hawkins. History in that matchup suggests a good outcome for Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even with 2 talls Schoenmakers will be one out at times with Hawkins. History in that matchup suggests a good outcome for Geelong.

Agreed, 2 quality talls will likely cause us trouble. 3 just never works

Schoenmakers has been better, but this will be his biggest test against someone who has got a hold of him twice

I don't know why anyone would use this game to justify any point of view about Schoey. When the game was on, he dominated his opponent. After half time, Hawthorn's pressure dropped off considerably (just as in the last quarter last week) and since Essendon had no pressure to begin with, it turned into a shootout. Lot's of one on ones, fast breaks, etc. No defender is going to keep their opponent goalless when they are the main target. Great effort by Gumby, but it proves nothing about Schoey who has been fantastic this season, and is by far a much better player than he was last year.

I don't know why anyone would use this game to justify any point of view about Schoey. When the game was on, he dominated his opponent. After half time, Hawthorn's pressure dropped off considerably (just as in the last quarter last week) and since Essendon had no pressure to begin with, it turned into a shootout. Lot's of one on ones, fast breaks, etc. No defender is going to keep their opponent goalless when they are the main target. Great effort by Gumby, but it proves nothing about Schoey who has been fantastic this season, and is by far a much better player than he was last year.

When the game was on the ball never went into Essendon's forward line.

For me where he has improved more than anything is when he gets the ball. I remember last years qualifying final against the cats. It seemed like very time he got the ball he kicked it out on the full. A lot less pressure last night but looked more comfortable

I've been following Schoenmakers' progress with interest for some time, from when it was just the Hawks fans tearing into him. For me he's just one of those guys I hope does really well more than anything. And from what I've seen I'm impressed, relieved and am happy to say I think he'll be fine.

I'm kind of glad the "schoenclangers" mob mentality has re-appeared after last week's brief respite so I can take the opportunity to state my confidence in him before his ability is widely appreciated.

Some of those goals were kicked on Gibbo, but that merely reaffirms he too is vulnerable 1-on-1. If an opposition can get close to breaking even in the midfield and they have two good tall forwards, the Hawks are still very beatable.

It's as if Essendon fans just sit in the stands with their eye closed.
I actually agree. Schoey looks a little lost out there, like his hands won't do what his brain tells them to.

It will be yet another learning curve for him. I think back to all the crap that Hawkins copped from his own supporters and supporters in general and look how far he has come - shoey will have good and bad weeks - he conceded a couple of goals to gumby last night and although the heat had gone out of the game he needs to continue to work his opponent over for four quarters. The kid is 21 and improving but the one thing that really impresses me is even when he is getting rag dolled, when supporters are hanging over the fence abusing him and the media are hyper critical he has never once dropped his head and for mine that speaks volumes about his character and that is super important.

It will be yet another learning curve for him. I think back to all the crap that Hawkins copped from his own supporters and supporters in general and look how far he has come - shoey will have good and bad weeks - he conceded a couple of goals to gumby last night and although the heat had gone out of the game he needs to continue to work his opponent over for four quarters. The kid is 21 and improving but the one thing that really impresses me is even when he is getting rag dolled, when supporters are hanging over the fence abusing him and the media are hyper critical he has never once dropped his head and for mine that speaks volumes about his character and that is super important.
True to a degree. He may not have "dropped his head", but when he was getting pantsed in last year's finals his lack of confidence was obvious to see, it affected his performance significantly and it affected his teammates negatively. I also think that the opposition fed off it and it gave them a huge boost.

I actually agree. Schoey looks a little lost out there, like his hands won't do what his brain tells them to.
I could understand this comment being made 12 months ago, but not so much now. He's shown time and again how good he is with the ball.

The jury is still out on Schoenmakers.

Looks like he's improved but is still a long way short of being a good reliable key defender, even last night he looked suspect in some one on one battles and it wasn't exactly a high pressure game either.

I'd wait to see him perform well regularly in high pressure games and finals before I started singing his praises.

Yeah some baffling comments in this thread.

Not sure whats baffling about it........You had 50 inside 50's, Gumbleton had 9 disposals.
So thats a guaranteed 9 times that Essendon went through Gumbleton, this doesn't include the times they went through Gumbleton where Shoey killed the contest. so it would probably be around 15 to 25 times they went through Gumbleton.

One on one in a contested situation Shoey won.....In an open forward 50, with Essendon on the fast break, Shoey was beaten on the lead...how is a defender supposed to defend that type of easy ball.....its almost un-defendable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back