Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

I could understand this comment being made 12 months ago, but not so much now. He's shown time and again how good he is with the ball.
Granted, I probably watch 1/3 Hawthorn games, so my opinion doesn't hold a huge amount of weight - maybe he just stars when I'm not watching. A good defender doesn't stand out to anyone but his own supporters IMO.

Not sure whats baffling about it........You had 50 inside 50's, Gumbleton had 9 disposals.
So thats a guaranteed 9 times that Essendon went through Gumbleton, this doesn't include the times they went through Gumbleton where Shoey killed the contest. so it would probably be around 15 to 25 times they went through Gumbleton.

One on one in a contested situation Shoey won.....In an open forward 50, with Essendon on the fast break, Shoey was beaten on the lead...how is a defender supposed to defend that type of easy ball.....its almost un-defendable.

He did lose a couple of one-one-ones deep inside 50 though, and that's to a guy who isn't a Hawkins-like beast.

He did lose a couple of one-one-ones deep inside 50 though, and that's to a guy who isn't a Hawkins-like beast.

Yes, he did...

My point is that this happens to pretty much every defender in most games; it's par for the course in AFL. If it didn't happen regularly, score in AFL would be a lot lower

But whenever it happens to Schoenmakers, some people see it as conclusive proof that he's shit.

He's not a superstar, he's turning into a solid defender, he is certainly not a spud.

Not sure whats baffling about it........You had 50 inside 50's, Gumbleton had 9 disposals.
So thats a guaranteed 9 times that Essendon went through Gumbleton, this doesn't include the times they went through Gumbleton where Shoey killed the contest. so it would probably be around 15 to 25 times they went through Gumbleton.

Cant argue with made up stats. :confused:

One on one in a contested situation Shoey won.....In an open forward 50, with Essendon on the fast break, Shoey was beaten on the lead...how is a defender supposed to defend that type of easy ball.....its almost un-defendable.

How do you explain the 2 contested marks then? 4.2 out of 12 goals, I dont know how they adds up to and Schoenmakers demolition job like some are suggesting.

Yes, he did...

My point is that this happens to pretty much every defender in most games; it's par for the course in AFL. If it didn't happen regularly, score in AFL would be a lot lower

But whenever it happens to Schoenmakers, some people see it as conclusive proof that he's shit.

He's not a superstar, he's turning into a solid defender, he is certainly not a spud.

His kicking was sublime tonight, he set up a lot of your attacks. Not bad for a guy whose kicking in the past has been awful.

But, if I was a Hawks fan I'd still be very worried about a key forward monstering him in September. A behometh like Tippett has the potential to rag-doll him and kick 6 if he's on-song.

There's no doubt that the tactic of teams in the past two years has been to isolate Schoey with a big guy.

That's up the midfield to ensure slow entry into the 50, to ensure the defence can structure in time..

Any defender is up against it one on one with those big guys, Hawkins and those guys do it against anyone, not just Schoey, if there's not enough support.

Maybe so, he won one genuine contest whilst the other was a major fluke where the ball fell into his legs.

How did you rate Carlise's effort on Gunston down the other end, in a forward line with little space and for the majority of the time had the entirety of your list in it.

True to a degree. He may not have "dropped his head", but when he was getting pantsed in last year's finals his lack of confidence was obvious to see, it affected his performance significantly and it affected his teammates negatively. I also think that the opposition fed off it and it gave them a huge boost.

No doubt - he was second guessing himself and this contributed to mistakes. I thought though for him to cop the brunt of media focus for that dropped mark and the "reason " we lost the prelim was disgraceful. It seems that it's easy to select a no name scapegoat rather than some more seasoned experienced very good players. For the amount of shit this kid has taken in the media I'm just impressed that he has continued to work on getting better at the small things and with that the rest will hopefully fall into place over the next 2-3 years and the hawks end up with a quality defender.

Maybe so, he won one genuine contest whilst the other was a major fluke where the ball fell into his legs.

How did you rate Carlise's effort on Gunston down the other end, in a forward line with little space and for the majority of the time had the entirety of your list in it.
Thought Carlisle was okay, considering the amount and quality of ball that coming in. Decent, but not great.

The ball fell into his legs because he won prime position. Anyway, it's a mute point if your midfield keeps dominating like this.

Cant argue with made up stats. :confused:

ohh ok, so they went through Gumbleton only the 9 times out of the 50 inside 50's...yep I gotcha, Shoey didn't win a contest, he was smashed !

How do you explain the 2 contested marks then? 4.2 out of 12 goals, I dont know how they adds up to and Schoenmakers demolition job like some are suggesting.

One was a fluke that fell into his legs, the other was a genuine win. The other 4 uncontested were on fast breaks in an open forward line.....You cannot defend that type of easy ball.
I never suggested that Shoey demolished Gumbleton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people insist on making premature calls about young key defenders.

Glad for Schoenmakers to have the last laugh.

The poor bastard was made the scape goat for not being able to beat the league's best forwards (which basically no defenders can do) with 20 games of experience. It was an absolute joke.

End thread/

Please don't tell me that you are trying to equate the conditions Carlise was playing under to Shoenmakers.

Please just don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back