Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

He has already directly cost the Hawks a GF appearance in his short career. And after last night's performance, we may look back and say he cost them another. Sysdney in Sydney, followed by Cats, then Adelaide in Adelaide would be a tough way to make a GF and had he kept his opponent to anything less than hawkin's highest score of the year, we would virtually be a lock to avoid that route. Not to mention his next examination under finals like pressure (esp. in the GF), to which he has never stood up before.

Peoplw say give him time, he'll be okay in a few years. Problem is that NOW is the time the Hawks are competing for flags. In a few years, Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Gibson etc will be gone and Buddy, roughy etc will be past their peak.

i still reckon the hawks should pull the trigger and give up a first rd pick+ for lake. would complete the puzzle.

i still reckon the hawks should pull the trigger and give up a first rd pick+ for lake. would complete the puzzle.

Short term fixes fix nothing

People are going to slate shoey no matter what - personally I think he is coming along ok, especially for someone who has been thrown in the deep end like he has. There is no doubt we need a big bodied defender but they are not exactly a dime a dozen. Nothing was going to stop Hawkins last night and I challenge anyone to put up someone who can go 1:1 on him and be deemed the winner - 4 goals would be considered a win you would think.

People are going to slate shoey no matter what - personally I think he is coming along ok, especially for someone who has been thrown in the deep end like he has. There is no doubt we need a big bodied defender but they are not exactly a dime a dozen. Nothing was going to stop Hawkins last night and I challenge anyone to put up someone who can go 1:1 on him and be deemed the winner - 4 goals would be considered a win you would think.

surely ur not serious, how could it not fix anything? lake would make ur team just about unbeatable, there is doubts about ur teams defence now and god only knows whats going on in schoeys head now, im thinking he would be terrified to play finals against a huge forward, his confidence would be shot to pieces now and confidence plays a big part in big games, lake would make the puzzle complete.

Adelaide didn't even let Rutten play on him last week

Adelaide tried that last week early on and he made Rutten look horrible so much so Rutten was subbed and Hawkins ended the game on Talia

This just proves my point. There is no other key defender that has anywhere near the bulk and strength of Hawkins. If Hawkins can destroy Rutten one on one than who is it that Schoenmakers is being compared to? What non-existent level does Schoenmakers need to get to for these losses not to be his fault?

surely ur not serious, how could it not fix anything? lake would make ur team just about unbeatable, there is doubts about ur teams defence now and god only knows whats going on in schoeys head now, im thinking he would be terrified to play finals against a huge forward, his confidence would be shot to pieces now and confidence plays a big part in big games, lake would make the puzzle complete.

Brian lake is a good defender who if we could borrow for the rest of the season maybe a good fit but as it stands he is also 31 going into next season and returning from a long term injury without any guarantees and currently playing average football and for that the hawks have to give up a first round pick and a player - pass

I also disagree about shoey and confidence going into the finals - he hasn't to date dropped his head and I don't expect him to start now.

There is no doubting we need a big bodied defender right now but it is what it is and maybe gilham returning could help but I think that's highly unlikely as well.

Brian lake is a good defender who if we could borrow for the rest of the season maybe a good fit but as it stands he is also 31 going into next season and returning from a long term injury without any guarantees and currently playing average football and for that the hawks have to give up a first round pick and a player - pass

I also disagree about shoey and confidence going into the finals - he hasn't to date dropped his head and I don't expect him to start now.

There is no doubting we need a big bodied defender right now but it is what it is and maybe gilham returning could help but I think that's highly unlikely as well.

i disagree that he hasnt been playing good, hes team has been getting smashed not him, u took a punt stuart dew and look how that turned out, i know u got him for nothing (btw i never said to trade a 1st rounder and a player for lake) he would come alot cheaper and i think hes got plenty to give.

While it may be an unpopular opinion amongst opposition supporters I think his development curve has been great. He has all the attributes to suggest he will be a solid KPD in seasons to come.

Reminds me of Ben Reid but hasn't hasn't come on as quickly. Hawks should and no doubt will continue to throw him in the deep end.

Nothing Shoey could do last night, just completely out muscled. In saying that Shoey is a decent enough player and still has improvement in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

emma-watson-s-troll-face_528_poster.jpg

Out of left field, but hawks should trade roughy for paddy Ryder. Play Ryder at chb. Would become the buddy of key defenders. Gunston covers the forward line loss.

Or they could just play Roughy at CHB.

your window is right now. lake can play for another 3 years. maybe a cupla flags?

Played well tonight all right...with Guerra and Burgoyne also excellent.

Lets see how he goes on a BIG forward muscling him out....thats when he struggles.

I still reckon he will go forward sometime in his career

Played well tonight all right...with Guerra and Burgoyne also excellent.

Lets see how he goes on a BIG forward muscling him out....thats when he struggles.

I still reckon he will go forward sometime in his career
He will get the better of hawkins when it counts. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back