Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay now and he was actually pretty solid for the first 2 and a half quarters. He halved a number of contests with Hawkins. His problem seems to be that good forwards are able to get a hold of him late in games, which also affect peoples opinion of him. For all of Hawkins supposed dominance of him he only took 6 marks for the game
The only problem with Shoenmakers is that, whilst most of your players are best 22 at every club, he'd struggle to crack a game at any established side (aside from Freo and the WB).

I think he'll be ok. He's not a total spud (Zac Dawson says hai), just really really struggles against the monsters in the league, like Hawkins is now.

The only problem with Shoenmakers is that, whilst most of your players are best 22 at every club, he'd struggle to crack a game at any established side (aside from Freo and the WB).

Disagree. In most sides he wouldn't be played as the main backman. He would get into most sides as the 2nd or 3rd tall key back

Disagree. In most sides he wouldn't be played as the main backman. He would get into most sides as the 2nd or 3rd tall key back
Possibly. He's the only player in your side who wouldn't start for us which is almost a weird thought. Why does Stratton not take the KPFs anymore? He looked good in his first year.

Possibly. He's the only player in your side who wouldn't start for us which is almost a weird thought. Why does Stratton not take the KPFs anymore? He looked good in his first year.

Not big enough, he is only 189cm

Watching the replay now and he was actually pretty solid for the first 2 and a half quarters. He halved a number of contests with Hawkins. His problem seems to be that good forwards are able to get a hold of him late in games, which also affect peoples opinion of him. For all of Hawkins supposed dominance of him he only took 6 marks for the game

At the end of the day Hawkins kicked 6.2, and took 4 contested marks. Keep watching the replay though, eventually you will convince yourself that Ryan was BOG.

At the end of the day Hawkins kicked 6.2, and took 4 contested marks. Keep watching the replay though, eventually you will convince yourself that Ryan was BOG.

With 5 minutes to go in the 3rd, Hawkins had kicked 2 goals. I think its fair to say he was going ok at that point. No doubt Hawkins got a hold of him from that point on

With 5 minutes to go in the 3rd, Hawkins had kicked 2 goals. I think its fair to say he was going ok at that point. No doubt Hawkins got a hold of him from that point on

No, Schoenmakers was not going well at any point. He looked a nervous wreck when the ball went near him.

BTW, you said that Hawkins took only 6 marks. To complete your statement, 5 of those marks were inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot of the key backman who arent quite big enough yet struggle as the game wears on. Have noticed the same thing with Rance. Just spending all day wrestling with blokes much stronger than you are takes its toll physically far more than running yourself into the ground. It gets to the last qtr and the forward hasnt got any smaller but without that same spring in thier step they just struggle to stay with them.

He'll be a decent player alright but will probably take another couple of years to have that core strength to stick with the really big guys all day.

Anyone who wants to blame Schoenmakers ought to look for the solution.

I reckon Ben Rutten is the only defender going around that would have a chance of going one on one with Hawkins.

I reckon Ben Rutten is the only defender going around that would have a chance of going one on one with Hawkins.

Adelaide didn't even let Rutten play on him last week

I'm sure if Hawthorn had other options for their number one big defender they'd be using him, they don't so Ryan is it. Was reasonable early on but once Hawkins got hold of a couple, Ryan stopped backing himself against him and took his eyes off the ball trying to play the man. He was a rabble once he started doing that.

As a Hawks supporter has already posted, he may develop into a very good defender in the next few years but by then it may be too late for this current side to do anything with.

He definitely needs someone else with size to help him down there but who do they have and is there anyone they can target as a free or restricted free agent?

I know there's not a lot of malice in most of the posts and people are generally just having a dig but it's pretty sad to see people on these boards tearing into young blokes just starting out and having a go at making their way in the world. I hope none of them ever come on these boards, it would be soul destroying.

Similar posts in this thread about Hawkins when they were roughly the same age:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-hawkins-thread.581911/

And that is on the Cat's own board, so is more positive than a main board thread would be.

I thought Shoenmakers was ok , despite the number of goals his opponent kicked. Got into the right spot most times, but just wasn't strong enough to subdue Hawkins. He will continue to get stronger over the next couple of years, and his decision making under pressure has already come on in leaps and bounds since this time last year. It is a pity he has to take the number #1 opposition big forward at the moment though. Hawkins was on song tonight and rarely looked like missing, which made the damage look worse than it might have been had Hawkins had a more typical night in terms of accuracy (Shoey did win some contests).

Hawkins has actually been kicking ok for a few weeks now. Starting with probably Essendon three weeks ago. His marking has been brilliant all season. Remarkable turnaround, and not unrelated to this thread, proof that you shouldn't judge young players too quickly. Not until they play at least 50-60 games.

Any danger of a senior player going third man up and helping him?
Geelong deliberately gave Hawkins free space to minimise that happening. But with the last mark a third man won't help - it was great delivery to him though

Adelaide didn't even let Rutten play on him last week
Yes they did, Hawkins got on top in the first quarter and Sando shifted Rutten off him very quickly.

Agree with candiehappy too - Pods was very important in keeping Gibson away from the contest.

Adelaide tried that last week early on and he made Rutten look horrible so much so Rutten was subbed and Hawkins ended the game on Talia

Geelong deliberately gave Hawkins free space to minimise that happening. But with the last mark a third man won't help - it was great delivery to him though

Exactly and there wasn't much he could have done for the second last goal either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Schoenmakers gets to have the final say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back