Rules Score Review (ARC) Thread - Lions v Tigers Elimination

Remove this Banner Ad

It didn’t correct a wrong decision as no one knows whether it was a goal or not. The goal umpire called it a goal and is supposed to be overturned by conclusive evidence, ball hitting fingers, ball hitting post, ball going to left or right of post. Not ball going over imaginary line on top of goal post from grainy vision 50 metres away.

Richmond supporters don't believe in the wonders of math and science.

It didn’t correct a wrong decision as no one knows whether it was a goal or not. The goal umpire called it a goal and is supposed to be overturned by conclusive evidence, ball hitting fingers, ball hitting post, ball going to left or right of post. Not ball going over imaginary line on top of goal post from grainy vision 50 metres away.
I think we all know it wasn't a goal.

What sort of expertise do you think the ARC guy has? Do you think they've hired an engineer or someone with expertise in a similar field to make those quick assesments?

That sort of decision has never been overturned. It is inconclusive, especially in the very short time the decision was overturned in.

You tiger fans are infuriating. It gets explained perfectly to you and none of you accept it.
However you might be right about the arc guy, I’m not sure if he understood what he was doing (he might’ve also) but he got it right anyway.

I’ve watched heaps of replays of the Lynch kick, in none of them I can say 100% if they were a goal or a point, but it’s irrelevant, the rules are clear, for a decision to be overturned, there needs to be conclusive evidence to overturn it.

Footage from 60-80m away, of the ball going over an imaginary line above the post, is not conclusive, conclusive means that it can’t be disputed.

The diameter of the top of a AFL goal posts is 7.5cm.

How anyone can say the ball travelled directly over the top of that 7.5cm from the vision is ridiculous.

The on Field call was a goal, Lynches body language, whether you thought it was a goal or not is irrelevant.

So basically players are going to be taught now to fake a celebration when its close call? As comical as that sounds, its probably going to happen going forward. Based on what the afl said, this is part of their ‘decision making process’. Lol. Hope it doesnt happen again in grand final, because if you had half a brain of course youre going to fake it.

I’ve watched heaps of replays of the Lynch kick, in none of them I can say 100% if they were a goal or a point, but it’s irrelevant, the rules are clear, for a decision to be overturned, there needs to be conclusive evidence to overturn it.

Footage from 60-80m away, of the ball going over an imaginary line above the post, is not conclusive, conclusive means that it can’t be disputed.

How anyone can say the ball travelled directly over the top of that 7.5cm from the vision is ridiculous.

The on Field call was a goal, Lynches body language, whether you thought it was a goal or not is irrelevant.
Thank you for putting sense into the discussion. I’d be saying the same thing if this happens to another team as well, it’s decisions like these that infuriate fans.

Thank you for putting sense into the discussion. I’d be saying the same thing if this happens to another team as well, it’s decisions like these that infuriate fans.
Lol.

No you wouldn't. If it happened to Geelong you'd be in here telling them it was clearly a point.

Just the vibe hey?

Slightly off topic, but wasn't there an example from earlier this year where a player jumped over a goal umpire trying to spoil and totally obstructed their vision? Is there ever a situation where the goal umpire can throw their hands up and say they have no clue and hand over the decision to the score reviewer or do they always need to make a call?

i imagine the ruling is someone has to make the call before it goes to review, because someone has to get the benefit of the doubt in the event the footage is inconclusive, same with cricket, the umpire has to soft signal a decision.

obvious example is LBW where the technology signals umpire call

where you being out or not out is entirely dependent on if the umpire soft signaled out out or not out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must admit watching it live last night I thought no way thats definitive, but the triangulation diagrams posted here and elsewhere seem to be on the mark - thing is we just don't know if thats the rationale the video review guy used. Will be interesting to see if the AFL go with that specific rationale, surely they'll release a statement on it (confirming it was the correct decision of course haha, but yeah will they offer triangulation as the proof).

They didn't need to. They would have been trained in advance of how to read the footage in this scenario.
Would they? You're a lot more confident in the professionalism of the AFL than I am lol.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced the goal umpire knew if it was a goal or not, I'd suspect he was guessing because he was on the move as the kick went over the goal line.

Situations like that are the best advertisement for a second goal umpire that I have seen, particularly when the ball goes over the height of the posts. One goal umpire simply doesn't have the time to be where he has to be when the player is that close and on an angle.

Having said that, Lynch deserves some flak for using a banana kick when any quality forward should have been able to put a drop punt through, or even use his left foot to open up the angle. But banana kicks (and the round the corner kicks) are just sooooo trendy these days, despite how unreliable they can be........

Then there's the minor issue of the ball going up the other end and Daniher somehow being able to snag a goal whilst having 5 (?) Richmond players in his immediate vicinity - not one of them smart enough to stand on the goal line either.

I understand the focus being on the Lynch "goal", but there are many other layers to this, as is almost always the case in matches with tight, controversial finishes.

You tiger fans are infuriating. It gets explained perfectly to you and none of you accept it.
However you might be right about the arc guy, I’m not sure if he understood what he was doing (he might’ve also) but he got it right anyway.
Yeh, based on the grainy, low framerate, low pixel when zoomed footage where there was inches in it looked at for 30 seconds.

Nothing conclusive or irrefutable about it. If it was, there wouldn't be debate, if it was clear, there's nothing to debate.
It wasn't. Therefore it shouldn't have been overturned from umpires on field call.

Yeh, based on the grainy, low framerate, low pixel when zoomed footage where there was inches in it looked at for 30 seconds.

Nothing conclusive or irrefutable about it. If it was, there wouldn't be debate, if it was clear, there's nothing to debate.
It wasn't. Therefore it shouldn't have been overturned from umpires on field call.

Do you think it was a goal?

Or do you just think it shouldn't have been overturned?

Umpires guessing is the job they are paid to do. What do you think happens on every other decision? Many free kicks are debatable or subjective.

The rule is clear, it's umpires call unless there is conclusive clear evidence to overturn. There's no way the ARC had that after the brief time they looked at it. If it was clear and conclusive, this wouldn't be a talking point. There would be no debate.

Geez, you reckon they are paid to guess on general free kicks? I'd argue if they don't clearly see something, let it go. I'd hope most footy fans think the same.

When it comes to scoring when a decision has to be made, an option of not sure, let the review process decide is far better than making a guess the deciding factor.

Do you think it was a goal?

Or do you just think it shouldn't have been overturned?
For me personally I just don't think it should have been over-turned

Had they reviewed with umpires call being a behind and it been upheld I have no issue. The main problem for me is that it needs to be conclusive to be over-turned and I'm yet to see anything that could have gotten them a conclusive answer in the time they took to make a decision

1. Do you think it was a goal?

2. Or do you just think it shouldn't have been overturned?
1. I honestly don't know. To the naked eye, I would lean towards it went over the post. However I couldn't be 100% sure as there were inches in it, and the footage is not very clear. Which brings me to the main point.

2. It's not what I think, it's what the rules state. If it's not irrefutable, clear, definitive evidence to overturn, it's umpires call. The rules/guides were not correctly applied. At best that was debatable. It wasn't like we saw the ball hit the post or push someone's fingers back as touched.

that angle it looks like a goal!

as a cheer squad member during the late 70s early 80s, ie. wayne harmes era, and through the torrid lions salary cap fiascos, and the bullshit free against westcoast, ima just gunna say the line i always told the kids i umpired "you gotta be far enough in front that the mother of all umpire decisions doesnt cost you the game!" i have no faith, none whatsover, in the integrity of the AFL and/or its umpires: the dogs free kick count all through 2016 and in the final: players who dont get rubbed out just before finals, or because they are leading the Brownlow and thats embarrassing: almost killing off a team over dollars in paperbags and now saying its ok for the coach in charge of a whole cheating supplement scandal, can coach the same club again: changing rules mid season for a 19 year old kid when a so called superstar vet has made a career out of the same move for 15 fricken years: jumping over players for bets taken and endorsing gambling!! its such a farce!! level playing field? even the ground conditions are not level! the fixture is based on who will sell the most seats, not fairness!!!

it was your turn Tiger kings, next time dont let em near you!

although since your song started playing, i dont think the AFL saw that coming, or maybe, just maybe, they got their lines crossed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules Score Review (ARC) Thread - Lions v Tigers Elimination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back