Rules Score Review (ARC) Thread - Lions v Tigers Elimination

Remove this Banner Ad

This debate is going nowhere until we move past this particular ARC adjudication, and consider the flaws in the system as a whole. I don’t know why anyone would be happy with the current set-up, when next time it could be their team on the end of a dodgy judgement.

Spot on and why isn't the technology the same at all grounds is bewildering just asking for trouble.

We just have a sense of spatial awareness, and some basic geometry. 3 angles of the same ball in flight event, roughly in sync and all at some point over the post. There's only one possibility that fits all of that.

Roughly ?? that sounds a bit Mickey mouse for a professional sport lol we all have not seen conclusive evidence the afl claimed to have.

Hardwick didn't appear to be too sold on the AFL's explanation during his tour of the ARC facility when questioned about it on 360 tonight.

Hmmmm...

Yep sounds gagged to me not convincing the problem is what people forget the afl totally went against it's own process.

Yep sounds gagged to me not convincing the problem is what people forget the afl totally went against it's own process.
Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for his one on one discussion with Brad Scott.

Reckon there would have been some pretty terse words spoken, and rightfully so from Hardwick, but they're both too professional to let it play out in the public forum.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for his one on one discussion with Brad Scott.

Reckon there would have been some pretty terse words spoken, and rightfully so from Hardwick, but they're both too professional to let it play out in the public forum.

Yeah spot on 💯 would be solved and buried if the afl was true to the word and had the vision and shared it problem is they don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughly ?? that sounds a bit Mickey mouse for a professional sport lol we all have not seen conclusive evidence the afl claimed to have.
It works. The cameras all saw the ball over the post. Even the phone in the crowd.

Hardwick didn't appear to be too sold on the AFL's explanation during his tour of the ARC facility when questioned about it on 360 tonight.

Hmmmm...
Not sure how you got that from it.

He seemed evasive to me, not answering the question directly, saying, that his problem with it was the process (ie, the ump saying I think it's a goal but want to review it, and "based on that vision" Hardwick "couldn't categorically say it wasn't a goal".)

"To us, our biggest thing was the process."

And...

"It was more about the process. There was never gonna be a right or wrong answer, if that makes sense"

And...

"At the end of the day we were really happy with the process they took us through."

And when Whateley asked... "they didn't send you away with a laminated freeze frame saying this is the one?"

Hardwick said that "they had some form of triangulation there, my head started to explode at one stage. But anyway, I thought I was looking up at [unsure what he said] I thought I don't know what's going on".

To me that was clearly what others here have been pointing out, and it was Hardwick conceding that he either didn't understand it, or didn't want to admit to understanding it.

(For anyone else interested, it's around 57mins into tonight's AFL 360)

Last edited:

He seemed evasive to me, not answering the question directly, saying, that his problem with it was the process (ie, the ump saying I think it's a goal but want to review it, and "based on that vision" Hardwick "couldn't categorically say it wasn't a goal".)

And...

"It was more about the process. There was never gonna be a right or wrong answer, if that makes sense"

And...

"At the end of the day we were really happy with the process they took us through."

And when Whateley asked... "they didn't send you away with a laminated freeze frame saying this is the one?"

Hardwick said that "they had some form of triangulation there, my head started to explode at one stage. But anyway, I thought I was looking up at [unsure what he said] I thought I don't know what's going on".

To me that was clearly what others here have been pointing out, and it was Hardwick conceding that he either didn't understand it, or didn't want to admit to understanding it.

Well said. Hardwick just like many others just can’t understand it and/or don’t want to.
Obviously triangulation was explained to him and they told him that’s the proof.
However it’s over the top of his head.

And...

And...

So basically what he was saying that he wasn't swayed by their explanation about triangulation, without coming out and saying as much, in the same way as many on here haven't been swayed by the triangulation argument.

The bottom line is, the vision had to be CONCLUSIVE, and it wasn't.

Hence his continued issue with 'the process'. Which is reasonable and logical.

So basically what he was saying that he wasn't swayed by their explanation about triangulation, without coming out and saying as much, in the same way as many on here haven't been swayed by the triangulation argument.

The bottom line is, the vision had to be CONCLUSIVE, and it wasn't.

Hence his continued issue with 'the process'. Which is reasonable and logical.
I disagree.

I think what he was saying was...

"they had some form of triangulation there, my head started to explode at one stage. But anyway, I thought I was looking up at [unsure what he said] I thought I don't know what's going on".

If he (or you) doesn't understand it, that doesnt mean its incorrect.

It's on him (and you) to understand it, like the rest of us have done, and then if he still disagrees, he should put forward a counter argument - something which he has not yet done, and it seems, won't be doing.

I disagree.

I think what he was saying was...

"they had some form of triangulation there, my head started to explode at one stage. But anyway, I thought I was looking up at [unsure what he said] I thought I don't know what's going on".

If he (or you) doesn't understand it, that doesnt mean its incorrect.

It's on him (and you) to understand it, like the rest of us have done, and then if he still disagrees, he should put forward a counter argument - something which he has not yet done, and it seems, won't be doing.

Most who agree don't understand it.

"I see 2 images that were taken at roughly the same time, therefore I'm certain I know."

The concept of error margins, and how they (should) degrade certainty seems lost on people.

It's just the triangulationist cult trying to take over society with their pseudo-science.

Don't give in!

"I see 2 images that were taken at roughly the same time, therefore I'm certain I know."

The concept of error margins, and how they (should) degrade certainty seems lost on people.

At least we know now with some certainty that triangulation is the basis of the method the ARC uses in these cases. What is left is for the AFL to reveal the specs and setup of their hardware so that presumably experts can calculate error margins. Then these margins need to be somehow tested against the error rates of the naked eye of the average goal umpire.

To me at least watching with little knowledge of the technicalities involved, I presumed this was all done prior to the adoption of the triangulation method being used to over-rule umpires. Certainly with the Hawkeye system in cricket, it came from the outset with operator claims about error margins and this was built into the system for making LBW decisions based upon Hawkeye, as you have pointed out previously.

With the ARC system it appears there is no meaningful testing that has been done for these cases where the ball travels above the posts. After watching someone drive a truck through the Tribunal’s method of hearing cases because the AFL hadn’t done something as obvious as accord the charged player procedural fairness, then it is difficult to see how anybody could have blind faith in any system they set up to judge anything. That mess of a Tribunal system with its very obvious flaws managed to somehow alter the result of the most prestigious individual honour in the game, the Brownlow Medal.

It is an unlikely but horrendous scenario that if a Grand Final result hinged on that Lynch kick after the siren, the whole result of the Grand Final could potentially be argued out in courts post season. So the AFL needs to get this system tested for accuracy and proven before something like that occurs.

Last edited:

It's pretty easy. The problem is not obscure or complicated.

Post points up.

Cameras look at post from multiple angles.

Ball is over post.

Which fundamental law of our physical world are you saying is wrong?

It's pretty easy. The problem is not obscure or complicated.

Post points up.

Cameras look at post from multiple angles.

Ball is over post.

Which fundamental law of our physical world are you saying is wrong?

No, I'm all for the physics. That's the point of my argument after all.

I'm saying that due to the limitations of the technology used (resolution, frame rates, synchronization of cameras), rather than the ball being at a fixed point as it appears to be, it's actually in a cube ( e.g. it could be +-20cm forward, sideways and/or up/down from where it 'appears'). This represents the error margin. (better tech will shrink that cube, but never entirely remove it).

An over rule of the umps should only occur when that entire cube is on the wrong side of the line(s) compared to where the umpire said it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules Score Review (ARC) Thread - Lions v Tigers Elimination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back