Rules Score Review (ARC) Thread - Lions v Tigers Elimination

Remove this Banner Ad

Whether it was a goal or not, I'm more interested in the fact the goal umpire (once the sole judge of any score, but not any more) determined it was a goal and somebody reviewed it. Now the thing that bothers me, I just cannot see that there was enough conclusive evidence to overturn the original decision. I'd like someone in the AFL to explained who made the call, and on what grounds.
The evidence is beyond doubt. Just because you don't understand it does not weaken it.

Last edited:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Below chart is the Goal Umpire process on Score Reviews. Not the field umpire. Different chart for that one

The AFL has reviewed the call and stated a behind was the correct result
The AFL could have elaborated a bit more, but probably don't want to go down that path as it will never end

The ARC person considered it was conclusive (a behind) so the goal umpires thoughts are not considered

Maybe in future the Goal umpires should have a third option not just 2
Then fans/media would then not place to much weight on what the goal umpire thinks.

1:- I think it is a goal, but want to check on .............?
2:- I think it was a behind, but want to check on ......?

3:- I just don't know because..................................? I was knocked over, Ball into lights, Ball to high to judge etc.

1662187256610.png

Last edited:
Pies Johnson goal-

Lynch 15m out, Johnson 35m out similar angle. johnsons shot looks probably a point from the angle. goal umpire in perfect position to line up the flight calls it a goal. reckon the arc bullied goalie/rushed the decision in the lynch fiasco.
Read the thread, I know you haven't. Your post is just as ignorant as many others. Multiple images from different angles showing the same thing (ball over the post) is mathematically certain, it isn't a subjective call such as deciding if a ball has touched a player's fingers at low resolution.

Read the thread, I know you haven't. Your post is just as ignorant as many others. Multiple images from different angles showing the same thing (ball over the post) is mathematically certain, it isn't a subjective call such as deciding if a ball has touched a player's fingers at low resolution.

There are no certainties in maths, not the way the Tigers do it.

tiger supporters looked happy, umpire said goal but check.... not point but check, looked like andrews rushed at lynch before play on call.... and no i haven't had time to read the whole thread, i was busy reading the matchday thread freo v dogs ;)

tiger supporters looked happy, umpire said goal but check.... not point but check, looked like andrews rushed at lynch before play on call.... and no i haven't had time to read the whole thread, i was busy reading the matchday thread freo v dogs ;)
Tigers supporters happiness doesn't matter (though plenty in the 'fan angle' footage were not cheering like he'd just won the game), umpire called for it to be checked, that's all that is required, and Andrews doesn't take a step before play on is called, he moves concurrent with the call. As all the Tigers supporters heard after Daniher kicked the winner 'Let it go!'
Besides, you've only got a few more days until we likely get rolled by Melbourne then you can jump on the 'that wouldn't have happened to us' bandwagon 🤣

I understand the whole point about triangulation and all other mathematical theory mentioned in the thread. I would draw out my own depiction of what I feel like can be summarised from the 3 camera angles, but this tweet does it better than I could.

But at the end of the day, I don't believe all 3 angles are perfectly in sync. You can claim any 2 of the 3 are in sync with each other, but I find it hard to see how all 3 can be in sync with the diagram in the tweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules Score Review (ARC) Thread - Lions v Tigers Elimination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back