Toast Scott Watters is the new coach of St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

i got it completely wrong

i hope for the clubs sake, our sake that the board has played this right and has made the correct decision

In your defence you didn't listen to him first hand in a series of interviews, during which time the selection committee were well and truly sucked in.

In defence, we were all sucked in. Even BrianSpeaking at the time was saying he was going to be a breath of fresh air. None of us could envision how far we would fall, or how fast. None of us would have envisioned the inexplicable decisions he would make at times.

It's just sad reading this thread, and seeing such promise just disappear...

Keep the faith guys. Feeling for you at the moment. Your club did so well from around 2000 onwards as far as going from easybeats to a relevant, and real threat for flags and were so unlucky not to get there. You'll be back, and sooner than most think. Hope you nail the draft this year :thumbsu: .

A trip down memory lane:

Michael Nettlefold says the Saints are committed to keeping their established guns, scoffing at speculation they would trade a superstar next week.

That means the Saints will not have a coach in place during next week's trade period, but Nettlefold backed St Kilda's list management group to handle any potential deals.

"I have said to our playing group, even with respect to the coaching situation, a lot of stuff has and will be written that won't reflect the truth," he said. "I have said to the guys that everyone needs to be very calm. Our strategy will be very clear in terms of what we are going to do. We don't feel we are anywhere near that point (of trading stars)."

Nettlefold said St Kilda hoped to announce a coach within a fortnight.

"We are pretty keen to replicate what Geelong (did)," he said. "We believe there is some great young coaching talent around, so it gives us a completely clean slate to put that together. We are quite enthusiastic about where we can take it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ad-for-the-saints-in-2012-20111104-1n061.html

By anyone's measure, St Kilda has been a success on the field in recent seasons, despite its dour, defensive style.

However, it has been away from the big sticks where the Saints have attracted their greatest criticism, either inadvertently or through self-inflicted wounds.

These have been catalogued ad nauseam. Two issues of note, now being addressed, were that the club appeared to have a diminished hands-on feel for members and football fans generally.

Lyon's propensity to change planned daily schedules also made it difficult for players to attend community events.

The Saints also lost the battle with the media. Access to players was extremely limited, with Lyon opting to be the primary spokesman and salesman.

Michael Nettlefold admitted the club, buoyed by the signing of new coach Scott Watters, had acted in recent months to change its image.

"I think Scott might have said the bubble has burst. I think we are certainly going to be a more open club and I don't think that's just with the media. We are going to be more open to the community."

"We are getting very strong feedback from our members at the moment that they are seeing some positive things come out of the club."

"Scott's appointment has been critical for us. We went through a long and detailed process to find Scott. We think we have a high-quality coach, we certainly have a high-quality person.

Trouble returned immediately after an elimination final loss to the Swans when four players were publicly said by Lyon to have "retired".

The biggest bombshell was left for last, when Lyon, said to have been tired of waiting for a contract extension, was poached by the Dockers. "I think across the board, things could have been handled better."

"We certainly have a vision for the business and a vision for the club. We haven't been distracted from that."

New coach Scott Watters "He is composed, he is measured, he understands football. He has got good human qualities. He is technically strong. He has come out of a good system at Collingwood."
A likely new gameplan "I don't think it's any secret that we need to be more attacking in certain areas. I would be very surprised if you don't see that coming through in Scott's style and Scott's plan."
Improving the club's image "Our communication's team has worked hard on continuing to grow our players and their interaction with the media. That is going to be ongoing focus for us."
The move to Seaford "We think the facility down here is outstanding and I think that is shared across the playing group."

A trip down memory lane:

New coach Scott Watters "He is composed, he is measured, he understands football. He has got good human qualities. He is technically strong. He has come out of a good system at Collingwood."
A likely new gameplan "I don't think it's any secret that we need to be more attacking in certain areas. I would be very surprised if you don't see that coming through in Scott's style and Scott's plan."
Improving the club's image "Our communication's team has worked hard on continuing to grow our players and their interaction with the media. That is going to be ongoing focus for us."
The move to Seaford "We think the facility down here is outstanding and I think that is shared across the playing group."

This whole Seaford thing is another millstone around our neck that has to be put to bed before we can truly move forward as a club.
It was bad enough the plans to upgrade the Linton St ground turned into a political shamozzle. But once that idea was scrapped and we chose Seaford then it has to be embraced properly for christ sake.
I loved Moorabbin and have so many great memories from the place. But for the last 20 yrs that we were based there the place was an absolute shit hole with 3rd rate facilitys.
We now have a world class training ground that otheres would be proud of.
Big F-ING deal if its a bit of a drive from the CBD. So is Geelongs ground, and that hasnt stopped them having bucketloads of success.
If we fix up all the bullshit that had dogged us for way too long and get our act together OFF the field. Good players will be more than happy to come and play for our club and will be more than happy to train there .If we were winning more games and were playing as a tight knit unified team i strongly doubt any players will be bitching & moaning about it being tricky to get a good low fat soy milk short black friggen coffee for gods sake. .
Wer'e at Seaford now so lets make it work FFS , lets hope the club & players start to realise how lucky they are and just concentrate on moving forward.
Another story in the Papers about " Saints push to go back to Moorabbin" or "Players not warming to new facility" wont help anybody.
Its like we are Married to Seaford but Moorabbin is the old girlfriend who keeps flirting with us and getting us in trouble.
Just move on.

This whole Seaford thing is another millstone around our neck that has to be put to bed before we can truly move forward as a club.
It was bad enough the plans to upgrade the Linton St ground turned into a political shamozzle. But once that idea was scrapped and we chose Seaford then it has to be embraced properly for christ sake.
I loved Moorabbin and have so many great memories from the place. But for the last 20 yrs that we were based there the place was an absolute shit hole with 3rd rate facilitys.
Big F-ING deal if its a bit of a drive from the CBD. So is Geelongs ground, and that hasnt stopped them having bucketloads of success.
If we fix up all the bullshit that had dogged us for way too long and get our act together OFF the field. Good players will be more than happy to come and play for our club and will be more than happy to train there .If we were winning more games and were playing as a tight knit unified team i strongly doubt any players will be bitching & moaning about it being tricky to get a good low fat soy milk short black friggen coffee for gods sake. .
Wer'e at Seaford now so lets make it work FFS , lets hope the club & players start to realise how lucky they are and just concentrate on moving forward.
Another story in the Papers about " Saints push to go back to Moorabbin" or "Players not warming to new facility" wont help anybody.
Its like we are Married to Seaford but Moorabbin is the old girlfriend who keeps flirting with us and getting us in trouble.
Just move on.

look, by this time next year, there will be so few players left that were at moorabbin, it won't matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think they should stop drinking Coffee and start drinking Cement instead :p

a number of years ago my organisation moved from carlton to kew. it made the journey longer, less shops etc,
I grumbled alot. but eventually got used to it. now they are thinking of moving to ringwood. that will even be worse for me. but, nothing i can do about it, unless i want to leave.

Think they should stop drinking Coffee and start drinking Cement instead :p

It wasn't really the coffee the boys were sooking about. Unless you're using the word coffee in the context of the Grand Theft Auto universe.

They were annoyed at the lack of hot, flirty waitresses.

Just move on.

If it was good enough for Graham Kennedy to live at Frankston when it was still a vacation spot, its good enough for the Saints.

a number of years ago my organisation moved from carlton to kew. it made the journey longer, less shops etc,
I grumbled alot. but eventually got used to it. now they are thinking of moving to ringwood. that will even be worse for me. but, nothing i can do about it, unless i want to leave.
But what if you could leave for another company that was more likely to have success in the short time and you get paid just as much if not more with bosses you didn't hate? And with better coffee, restaurants, flirty waitresses and, hell, actually had an atmosphere?

But what if you could leave for another company that was more likely to have success in the short time and you get paid just as much if not more with bosses you didn't hate? And with better coffee, restaurants, flirty waitresses and, hell, actually had an atmosphere?

Mmmmm but what if this new company insisted that you take illegal supplements / drugs in order to improve your work performance. Or they have you take half your salary in a brown paper bag, outside the tax system with all of the personal risks that involves.

Sometimes these other shiny companies offers, have other minuses that far outweigh a better capacinno.

It wasn't really the coffee the boys were sooking about. Unless you're using the word coffee in the context of the Grand Theft Auto universe.

They were annoyed at the lack of hot, flirty waitresses.
image.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Scott Watters is the new coach of St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back