News Scully Compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we use one or both on one of the 17 year olds from GWS or there is somebody too good to pass up on the trade table, then I hope we hold onto them for a bit. This isn't the draft to use them in.

No s**t Stabby, especially since if we activate them this year they will both be end of 1st round picks.

Thanks for the link Theo..

reading the ruling, well I'm not that happy. we won't get value if we use it this year yet i am sick of waiting for young guns to grow up.... maybe we could use the 'first round compo' one this year... at the end of the first round but definitely have to save the mid-rounder

it should be one top 3 pick, improving the chance to get a star. 2 mid late rounders is mild compo! i want a star for a star, an eye for an eye, the Dees haven't had a genuine star in years... we have a few potentials in there now but Scully was the most likely. This whole situation has left me very frustrated at the AFL and tired with the game.

We can't use the picks this year and we wouldn't do it in such a weak draft anyway.

You must activate the picks before the start of the season and seeing as we didn't have them then, we can't use them.

Next year is the time to use them, we would have to use our first round pick for Jack Viney and this way we still have two other first round picks to use.

You don't seem to understand.

We can't take them this year and we wouldn't anyway but next year is going to be a very strong draft in which we could have 3 first round picks inside the top 20. One of those 3 first round picks will be Jack Viney (the last first round pick) and the draft will be uncompromised meaning that finishing 8th will net us picks 9, 10 and 11.

Middle of the 1st round pick 18 teams - Pick 9 potentially depending on who else activates their pick and where they finish.

Our first round pick - Finishing 8th would get us 9 but due to our compo pick it's now 10.

Pick immediately following our first round pick - Pick 11

If that's how it works and goes down, I would be rapt.

I understand perfectly. I am just not as happy as you with the outcome. Yes next year the draft is strong if you are looking 12 months out. We just lost a potential superstar of the future and we are going to recieve 2 players around the Gysberts standard in return. Not sure I am convinced.

So you would trade Trengove for these 2 picks?

We can't use the picks this year and we wouldn't do it in such a weak draft anyway.

You must activate the picks before the start of the season and seeing as we didn't have them then, we can't use them.

Next year is the time to use them, we would have to use our first round pick for Jack Viney and this way we still have two other first round picks to use.

We can use the picks this year, but they'll be end of 1st round so as yo say we'd be nuts to do it.

The way i see it we have 3 options

1. Bank the picks and unleash them all in the 2012 super draft with one of them obviously being on Viney, we also bring in two other top 15 players which will certainly help our list

2. Invest them in getting O'meara and or one of the other Mini draft kids.

3. Trade them this year for established star players, One of those picks plus a 2nd rounder/recycled player should get us a very good player from another club, who ? im not to sure yet

The way i see it we have 3 options

1. Bank the picks and unleash them all in the 2012 super draft with one of them obviously being on Viney, we also bring in two other top 15 players which will certainly help our list

2. Invest them in getting O'meara and or one of the other Mini draft kids.

3. Trade them this year for established star players, One of those picks plus a 2nd rounder/recycled player should get us a very good player from another club, who ? im not to sure yet

I vote #2

You don't seem to understand.

We can't take them this year and we wouldn't anyway but next year is going to be a very strong draft in which we could have 3 first round picks inside the top 20. One of those 3 first round picks will be Jack Viney (the last first round pick) and the draft will be uncompromised meaning that finishing 8th will net us picks 9, 10 and 11.

Middle of the 1st round pick 18 teams - Pick 9 potentially depending on who else activates their pick and where they finish.

Our first round pick - Finishing 8th would get us 9 but due to our compo pick it's now 10.

Pick immediately following our first round pick - Pick 11

If that's how it works and goes down, I would be rapt.

Yep, definitely see this as a good thing. Can't see us making the finals next year(maybe year after), so lets say we finish 10th, that would land us picks 9,10 and 11 if we activate both(which we should in a strong draft). One of them I'm guessing will be used on Jack Viney, which still leaves us with 2 very strong draft picks. I'm not sure I'd trade these picks away unless we can seriously land a big fish(which we haven't done in decades). Probably a fair compensation in the end...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I vote #2

Yep, #2 would be the go. Effectively making it a Scully for O'Meara swap. I'd do this pretty much every day of the week, given that O'Meara has much better disposal, is quicker and will have WAFL experience come the end of next year (better than just TAC fluff).

Then we should try and draft Todd Elton with our first pick in the draft this year.

Viney and O'Meara will of course help settle the midfield, and the likes of Blease, Tapscott, Grimes returning from injury, Tom McD's further development, and a further year of experience should help our back group gel together.

Stef has signed up, The Rush is still going strong, and with big Maxy coming on nicely, our ruck stocks seem to be tracking well.

Yep, definitely see this as a good thing. Can't see us making the finals next year(maybe year after), so lets say we finish 10th, that would land us picks 9,10 and 11 if we activate both(which we should in a strong draft). One of them I'm guessing will be used on Jack Viney, which still leaves us with 2 very strong draft picks. I'm not sure I'd trade these picks away unless we can seriously land a big fish(which we haven't done in decades). Probably a fair compensation in the end...

Seriously we had a terrible year and finished 12 points out of the 8. We dropped games to Port and Richmond that we should have won if our confidence wasn't shot. If you don't think we can improve 12 points and make the 8 with a new coach then we might as well not bother with memberships next season.

I understand perfectly. I am just not as happy as you with the outcome. Yes next year the draft is strong if you are looking 12 months out. We just lost a potential superstar of the future and we are going to recieve 2 players around the Gysberts standard in return. Not sure I am convinced.

So you would trade Trengove for these 2 picks?

Not if we tank the shyt out of it next year. Finish last, activate both picks use P1 & 2 on the best tallent in a super draft, P9 on a high quality player then take Viney with our 2nd round selection (first "live" selection after a club nominates they'll take him, and given we finished last its our second round).

Thats working the system... FU Vlad

Not if we tank the shyt out of it next year. Finish last, activate both picks use P1 & 2 on the best tallent in a super draft, P9 on a high quality player then take Viney with our 2nd round selection (first "live" selection after a club nominates they'll take him, and given we finished last its our second round).

Thats working the system... FU Vlad
Im sure your joking, but i cant take another year of losing all the same

Logical compo. Still won't forgive lying turncoat $cully though.

Make the G his most hated ground peeps. Time for a new generation of a F*cked off Melbourne team and fans. :D:thumbsu:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/story-fn6cisdj-1226136263078?from=public_js

WHAT WILL DEES DO WITH COMPO PICKS

Plenty of clubs would love a key forward, but there just aren't any going around.

You suspect that will influence Melbourne's decision over whether to use the two first-round picks they will get for Tom Scully.

The Demons will clearly consider whether to trade them off straight away for a key position tall, but at the moment are believed to be erring on the side keeping them.

That doesn't mean they can't trade them off next year when the draft is clearly superior.

But chief executive Cameron Schwab made it clear this week that list manager Tim Harrington at least has plenty of options now.

''I said to Tim Harrington before that he has a bit of smoke coming out of his pockets,'' he said.

''We didn't plan to have this situation but we knew it wasn't beyond the realm either. As much as there will be short-term expectation we are not compromising from the plan of building a list and we would say the list Melbourne has got in as good a shape as it has been for some period of time.''

Trade them back to GWS for Jagear O'meara. Essentially trading our Tom Scully for the O'meara. Sounds totally fair doesn't it... Won't be enough though, the rules have handed Gws all the power involved with 17yo trades.

What players can we throw up with our picks?

Bate, Maric, Warnock?

I think it's a terrific result in all of the circumstances tbh. Particularly after reading in the Hun about the problems with $cully's knee. If Dr Larkins is correct in his view, no wonder $cully jumped at the money (and 6 year tenure) and ran.

Too bad i missed the article. Wouldn't happen to know of it's location would you? Would love to have a read of it, but yeah i agree, his knee appears to be something that he is going to have to manage for the rest of his career (however long that may be).

Remove this Banner Ad

News Scully Compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back