Remove this Banner Ad

My tips for this round

Barny
Beechworth
Dederang
Kiewa
Tallangatta
Yack

I have also had a crack at what the ladder might look like by the long weekend break

Tall - 32
Kiewa - 28
Yack - 28
Beechworth - 24
Barny - 20
Thurgoona - 16
Wahgunyah - 12
Dederang - 12
Rutherglen - 8
Mitta - 8
Wodonga - 4
Chiltern - 0

My tips for Round 6

Barny over the Swans by 60points
Beechworth
Mitta over DMB by 1 point
Kiewa to beat the Lions by 35points
Tallangatta by alot over the Wodonga Saints
Yack over Rutherglen by 42points

4 teams joines the league from 2003-2008. Chiltern (2003), Rutherglen & Beechworth (2004) all from the Ovens & King and Wahgunyah (2008) from the Coreen League

Well how about that.
The league obviously must be in a really strong position compared to where it was a 10 years ago, although I do feel sorry for Mitta having to travel to Wahgunyah to play. It was good for the league to let go of culcairn and holbrook because of the distances involved so I am a tad surprised to see Wahgunyah in the mix. I have also realised that Bethanga has finally been scraped, I appologise if there are any Bethanga faithful still alive but they were a joke on and off the field who I really did feel pity for. There teams (excluding jnrs who they never had) were very ordinary, the ground and facilities were on a par with Eskdale, Barny and Thurgoona while only 3 locals ever turned up to the games, all of whom manned the gate so they couldn't see the scoreboard. I'm sure most would agree that it's good to see the league committee were strong enough to boot them out and make way for the new teams and a stronger comp.
Hopefully I can get an oportunity to watch a few games this year and get more involved again.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Well how about that.
The league obviously must be in a really strong position compared to where it was a 10 years ago, although I do feel sorry for Mitta having to travel to Wahgunyah to play. It was good for the league to let go of culcairn and holbrook because of the distances involved so I am a tad surprised to see Wahgunyah in the mix. I have also realised that Bethanga has finally been scraped, I appologise if there are any Bethanga faithful still alive but they were a joke on and off the field who I really did feel pity for. There teams (excluding jnrs who they never had) were very ordinary, the ground and facilities were on a par with Eskdale, Barny and Thurgoona while only 3 locals ever turned up to the games, all of whom manned the gate so they couldn't see the scoreboard. I'm sure most would agree that it's good to see the league committee were strong enough to boot them out and make way for the new teams and a stronger comp.
Hopefully I can get an oportunity to watch a few games this year and get more involved again.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Being a Rutherglen person I had no involvement in the TDFL until 2004. But from what I hear Bethanga relocated to Wodonga and became the Wodonga Saints (and in a nice touch to the loyal Bethanga faithful, the Saints hosted Mitta at Bethanga in Round 2 of this season). Now they share Martin Park with Wodonga Bulldogs and from what Ive noticed they dont even get to sell their own grog at "home" games when everyone hangs around for a drink at the conclusion of play (it seems to be Bulldogs staff doing all the work presumably for the benefit of the bulldogs). Although this is only an outsider impression so I could be wrong.

Being a Rutherglen person I had no involvement in the TDFL until 2004. But from what I hear Bethanga relocated to Wodonga and became the Wodonga Saints (and in a nice touch to the loyal Bethanga faithful, the Saints hosted Mitta at Bethanga in Round 2 of this season). Now they share Martin Park with Wodonga Bulldogs and from what Ive noticed they dont even get to sell their own grog at "home" games when everyone hangs around for a drink at the conclusion of play (it seems to be Bulldogs staff doing all the work presumably for the benefit of the bulldogs). Although this is only an outsider impression so I could be wrong.

Yes, their stadium deal is awful, heard they may be moving to Shell Stadium with the Western Bulldogs.

Well how about that.

What a stupid thing to say. It is never good when any football club folds. I loved playing footy at Bethanga, even if we had to get changed in the kindergarten and try to sit on those tiny chairs and shower in cold water every year. hahah. The ground had good atmosphere, and it was good to sit up on the hill and watch games.

You mention Barny, they were the smallest rooms I have ever seen, until they moved into some petitioned off rooms in about 91/92. Dunno what they are like now. And Barny's ground was always crap.

I am sure they would love you back. :thumbsdown:

I don't understand why Wahgunyah are in the league though. As you said it would be a pain to travel from Mitta to there even if it was only once a year.

What a stupid thing to say. It is never good when any football club folds. I loved playing footy at Bethanga, even if we had to get changed in the kindergarten and try to sit on those tiny chairs and shower in cold water every year. hahah. The ground had good atmosphere, and it was good to sit up on the hill and watch games.

You mention Barny, they were the smallest rooms I have ever seen, until they moved into some petitioned off rooms in about 91/92. Dunno what they are like now. And Barny's ground was always crap.

I am sure they would love you back. :thumbsdown:

I don't understand why Wahgunyah are in the league though. As you said it would be a pain to travel from Mitta to there even if it was only once a year.

I totally agree with you Oldmanemu, it is never good to see a club struggle and fold especially a club with a long history like Bethanga, but it is a common thing these days due to the changing nature of "modern" football, much of which I disagree with. I remember the charm of Bethanga, the Kindeergarten was where my daughter fell out of the tree near the sandpit and broke her collar bone, but one thing I will never forget is how cold the place felt on an early winter morning.

Being a tiger I fully understand how bad our rooms were and I'm sure they would love to have me back ,but given my age I'd only be good for proping up the bar. I have some very close friends down there that are involved that would tell you that I have done a hell of a lot more for country footy than you probably realise. So please try to have some respect before handing out one of these :thumbsdown:.

Good luck to the Wodonga Saints this year and I applaud their supporters who have stayed on board with them since the relocation, if there are any.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Close game yesterday between the Dogs and Beechworth on a freezing day, unfortunately the game didnt go our way. It was only spoilt by the boofhead who went onto the ground after game with a Can in his hand and verbally abused the umpires, not a good look for the game that is struggling to get umpires in the first place. However good effort to the Beechy boys who told him to f*** off.

Close game yesterday between the Dogs and Beechworth on a freezing day, unfortunately the game didnt go our way. It was only spoilt by the boofhead who went onto the ground after game with a Can in his hand and verbally abused the umpires, not a good look for the game that is struggling to get umpires in the first place. However good effort to the Beechy boys who told him to f*** off.

Was he a Beechworth or Thurgoona supporter?

Was he a Beechworth or Thurgoona supporter?

SugarRay, things may have changed in the last few years but I'm guessing he was from Thurgoona due to the fact that they have a lower socio ecconomic community than Beechworth. I'm sure, not everyone involved at the club and the people that live in the area are bogans and horse mutilators. I may be wrong but it's amusing how people perceive others from what they see and read.

As for the matter of the idiot with the can in his hand I hope his club's officials take steps to avoid a repeat situation and the said bloke has a good look at himself in the mirror, if he is wealthy enough to own one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SugarRay, things may have changed in the last few years but I'm guessing he was from Thurgoona due to the fact that they have a lower socio ecconomic community than Beechworth. I'm sure, not everyone involved at the club and the people that live in the area are bogans and horse mutilators. I may be wrong but it's amusing how people perceive others from what they see and read.

As for the matter of the idiot with the can in his hand I hope his club's officials take steps to avoid a repeat situation and the said bloke has a good look at himself in the mirror, if he is wealthy enough to own one.

The point was to say that people shouldn't walk up to umpires after the game and verbally abuse them, its not good for the image of football, or any good actually. I dont know what team he supported to be honest, and it really doesnt matter.

The point was to say that people shouldn't walk up to umpires after the game and verbally abuse them, its not good for the image of football, or any good actually. I dont know what team he supported to be honest, and it really doesnt matter.

I totally agree with you there homebake, Plus if it was a Beechworth person I think I know who it might have been.

Homebake, you are dead right.

Runstraight, from your response earlier, can we assume that you know the drop kick in question?

Spot on homebake

My tips for round 7
Kiewa
Wahgunyah
Tallangatta
Rutherglen
Beechworth
Thurgoona on the rebound and at home

Good to see Yack and Beechworth off to a good start. They have both struggled over they last couple of years

Tips for round 7

Kiewa
Wahgunyah
Tallangatta
Barnawartha
Yackandandah
Beechworth

Also anyone got any thoughts on what the interleague teams might look like, and how blokes reckon the leagues will compare...?

Tips for round 7

Kiewa
Wahgunyah
Tallangatta
Barnawartha
Yackandandah
Beechworth

Also anyone got any thoughts on what the interleague teams might look like, and how blokes reckon the leagues will compare...?

I still maintain a close connection with the Bendigo football league. From what I have witnessed down there, the state of the Interleague system is dying. The interleague squad to take on ballarat was announced with a squad of around 35 players. Of these, only 6 turned up to training. There is now talk from within the BFL to scrap interleague matches.

I really hope the same does not happen to the TDFL, O&M and other surrounding leagues. Good luck to all the blokes that get a gurnsey and wear it with pride.

I still maintain a close connection with the Bendigo football league. From what I have witnessed down there, the state of the Interleague system is dying. The interleague squad to take on ballarat was announced with a squad of around 35 players. Of these, only 6 turned up to training. There is now talk from within the BFL to scrap interleague matches.

I really hope the same does not happen to the TDFL, O&M and other surrounding leagues. Good luck to all the blokes that get a gurnsey and wear it with pride.
I think the reason interleague is struggling is due to the fact that players are looking for the weeks break, also presure from clubs and coaches not to play in case of injury. Most players understand this and are looking to do the right thing by there club. Because of this a lot of star play do not play these matches. Maybe these matches should be play by the younger stars. Players who want to be noticed and are looking to further there football career

I think the reason interleague is struggling is due to the fact that players are looking for the weeks break, also presure from clubs and coaches not to play in case of injury. Most players understand this and are looking to do the right thing by there club. Because of this a lot of star play do not play these matches. Maybe these matches should be play by the younger stars. Players who want to be noticed and are looking to further there football career

i can tell you that a number of the Hume league players particulary from the stronger clubs (Jindera,Osborne,Culcairn) are looking at pulling out due to wanting/needing the break.

If that is the attitude of players and coaches then the whole idea whould be scraped. The whole point of an interleague team, apart from an ego boost to the players, is that it showcases how strong the league is. If 8 of the leagues best 22 did not play then was is the point of having a team. Is it really worth the league paying to have a second rate team play against another 2nd rate team just for bragging rights against people you have never spoken to or will ever speak to in the future.
The strongest side possible should be entered or nothing else.
There is dwindling loyalty and greed in "modern" football, at what expense?

My Tips for Round 7

KSC by 54points
Wahgunyah/Mitta will be a draw
Tallangatta by 50points
Barny by 36points
Yack by 25points
Beechworth

I see Jack you showed your true colours this week. Not only are you a w***er on Bigfooty but even in your club role you act like a total f!!!wit. Glad to see your swans getting pumped each week can understand now why you can't maintain players and no one wants to play for you. I hope this season is long and hard for you and your Mrs slaps you around with your new wooden spoon. w***er

Remove this Banner Ad

season 2009 starts now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back