Season 2013 Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moving on! Bundy V Tiges, the last game was a cracker with bundy getting a huge run on in the last quarter to break the tigers back but with a few inclusions and the return of Murph the purse they will be much stronger through the midfield and at clearances which is where Bundy have fallen down all season. Please don't rain.
Heard a whisper that Cupido might be playing to work off some of that sign on u gave him

Even one of the Eltham guys isnt an Eltham Jnr as well.

Yes, I believe Eltham recruited him from Diamo. Funny how that happens! lol

The point remains the same.... even for the recruits.... Haynes, Nayna, Willits all moving into the local area and picked up by Mont who got on the front foot when they heard that they were moving local. Isn't that good work? Or should they let the other clubs in the area get em first? lol.
Isn't that how Bundoora secured Dyson? Well done to them on that one too!

I look at the list above and I now see a whole side that's local to the NFL catchment area, and a majority having played most if not all their footy at Mont. Sure, some came from D2 & D3 clubs looking for higher level opportunities....and have stayed!

Let's also not forget that some go the other way as well. This season a number of now former Mont players who likely wouldn't have been in the best 22 saw fit to seek opportunities at lower division clubs. That sort of recruiting goes in in every league. D1 clubs looking for the best talent in the lower levels, and lower clubs looking to pick off some borderline D1 talent that want to play senior footy instead of Reserves. The best thing about it is that they're all local boys playing local footy!...in the NFL!

Moving on! Bundy V Tiges, the last game was a cracker with bundy getting a huge run on in the last quarter to break the tigers back but with a few inclusions and the return of Murph the purse they will be much stronger through the midfield and at clearances which is where Bundy have fallen down all season. Please don't rain.

Moving on... I am continuously amazed at how young some clubs are blooding players and how good they are. A 16 year old getting in Lower Plentys best on the weekend was amazing. I know young kids have been playing at all Clubs for ever but I really believe (and stand to be corrected) that the average age of teams this year has to be lower than the average 10 years ago.

Lots of 'Matches of the Round' this weekend but two standouts IMO:

West Preston Lakeside and Greensborough. To early to say season over for the loser but a blind Indian Lama farmer can see that three teams cannot get that elusive 5th spot. A win here over a rival also trying to get that spot is very very important and a chance catch Eltham who battle the ladder leaders.

And obviously this could be Eppings last chance. They are at home and will have pencilled this in. The Bears are wounded (after their impressive win against the Tigers) and will want some ins.

West Preston Lakeside and Greensborough. To early to say season over for the loser but a blind Indian Lama farmer can see that three teams cannot get that elusive 5th spot. A win here over a rival also trying to get that spot is very very important and a chance catch Eltham who battle the ladder leaders.

And obviously this could be Eppings last chance. They are at home and will have pencilled this in. The Bears are wounded (after their impressive win against the Tigers) and will want some ins.

Biased I know, but in my opinion the Bundoora v Heidelberg match would be the the match of the round as second spot and the double chance is up for grabs. Should be a rippa!

Yes Denny, the young Bears are a bit wounded at the moment but should be a couple of important ins for this weeks game. Good to see young Kieran Malone get in the best on the weekend. Just turned 16 and should have a bright future. If I can say one thing re clubs playing lists and recruits v juniors. Fair to say that a club like Eltham perhaps even Macleod have had a fair contingent of kids get drafted over the past 6 or so years. Those clubs may be a bit off winning flags in div 1, but I'm sure they are just as pleased to have these young blokes on AFL lists and inspiring other kids to reach the highest level.

Yes Denny, the young Bears are a bit wounded at the moment but should be a couple of important ins for this weeks game. Good to see young Kieran Malone get in the best on the weekend. Just turned 16 and should have a bright future. If I can say one thing re clubs playing lists and recruits v juniors. Fair to say that a club like Eltham perhaps even Macleod have had a fair contingent of kids get drafted over the past 6 or so years. Those clubs may be a bit off winning flags in div 1, but I'm sure they are just as pleased to have these young blokes on AFL lists and inspiring other kids to reach the highest level.

Macleod have had 3 top ten draft picks in the last 5/6 years with one more this year.

Hurley and Corr both played senior games while I don't think Longer did.

Ben Lennon will go top ten this year and did play a few games in the ones in 2011.

Not a bad effort I would say, Macleod develops and promotes juniors better than most clubs which helps in getting them to stick around. Would be nice to have the dollars to spend on a big name like Cloke though. Would be the difference in getting the young joeys into a finals campaign I believe. Might just have to hold out until Hurley returns in 7 or 8 years:cool:

Its an interesting point. If a clubs juniors can produce AFL quality players in higher numbers than your average junior club, then should it equally be able to produce a higher than average number of good quality NFL players who enjoy the same junior development? Have Eltham and Macloed produced a higher number of junior players than other NFL clubs? Do they have more "local" kids than other teams? I suspect the answer is yes???

If the answer is yes, then their ladder positions clearly show that imports are crucial to success. The big 4 teams seem to be able to recruit the imports (capabilities they dont possess) with relative ease. Is it harder for lesser profiled clubs to secure the big names or is it all about money? I know there are lots of high profile players over the years that werent ONLY worried about dollars.

Its an interesting point. If a clubs juniors can produce AFL quality players in higher numbers than your average junior club, then should it equally be able to produce a higher than average number of good quality NFL players who enjoy the same junior development? Have Eltham and Macloed produced a higher number of junior players than other NFL clubs? Do they have more "local" kids than other teams? I suspect the answer is yes???

If the answer is yes, then their ladder positions clearly show that imports are crucial to success. The big 4 teams seem to be able to recruit the imports (capabilities they dont possess) with relative ease. Is it harder for lesser profiled clubs to secure the big names or is it all about money? I know there are lots of high profile players over the years that werent ONLY worried about dollars.

Look across the other comps as well as ours and you'll find that it's all the 'cashed up' clubs on top of their D1 or A grade ladders. It's been this way as long as I can remember and I can't see it changing too quickly. (EFL, EDFL, WRFL.. YVMDFL etc...) Years ago everyone in the EFL was whining about Vermont and buying flags, stealing juniors off other clubs etc etc.... but believe me they lifted the standard of the competition. The big 4 there used to be Vermont, East Burwood, East Ringwood and Mitcham... Now it's Vermont, Balwyn, Noble Park and Norwood. Vermont, being well run have remained but the others have changed over time..... and people are still whining the same money related stories. Gents, it's the best run clubs that have the most $$. Simple. So in that regard, they deserve their successes!..... but it can change over time with the right administration, planning and damn hard work!

To be honest I don't think a junior club really have that much to do with developing AFL players and most kids (now afl players) would make it where ever they played there juniors.

To be honest I don't think a junior club really have that much to do with developing AFL players and most kids (now afl players) would make it whenever they played there juniors.

I totally agree. Unless you're very lucky, most junior development is horrible and the cream only rises to the top because it's better. I see a lot of kids coming into senior football these days and only able to a) Chase the ball on match days and b) Go from cone to cone at training, turn around and watch where they just came from for their next 'turn'.

This would be from a number of factors but mostly IMO;
* Junior coaches coaching to win more than to develop players - the same kids always play on ball etc.... If they sart to lose, they automatically revert back to the best 3 on ball etc.....
* Minimum training time with teams each week - most juniors only train 1 x 90 min session per week which leaves little time for anything other than basic skill development
* 1 coach to 25 player ratio - everyone does the same drill and there's no time for individual teaching
* No direction from the club on what is expected to be taught at each age group....so coaches just teach what they think.....with no thought to year on year building of skill or game knowledge

Could go on forever about this. I bet that a lot of the coaches at TAC level shake their heads at how much 'basic' stuff tehy have to teach the kids that have been spotted as 'talent' and sent down there! And for some, by the time they get there, it's too late and they get cut early because they can't pick up what they need to quickly enough.

I totally agree. Unless you're very lucky, most junior development is horrible and the cream only rises to the top because it's better. I see a lot of kids coming into senior football these days and only able to a) Chase the ball on match days and b) Go from cone to cone at training, turn around and watch where they just came from for their next 'turn'.

This would be from a number of factors but mostly IMO;
* Junior coaches coaching to win more than to develop players - the same kids always play on ball etc.... If they sart to lose, they automatically revert back to the best 3 on ball etc.....
* Minimum training time with teams each week - most juniors only train 1 x 90 min session per week which leaves little time for anything other than basic skill development
* 1 coach to 25 player ratio - everyone does the same drill and there's no time for individual teaching
* No direction from the club on what is expected to be taught at each age group....so coaches just teach what they think.....with no thought to year on year building of skill or game knowledge

Could go on forever about this. I bet that a lot of the coaches at TAC level shake their heads at how much 'basic' stuff tehy have to teach the kids that have been spotted as 'talent' and sent down there! And for some, by the time they get there, it's too late and they get cut early because they can't pick up what they need to quickly enough.
Judging by your comments, I think it's a fair bet there is a lot of guesswork in your opinions! The junior clubs who operate based on your opinions are either dead and buried or not far off it. Junior clubs these days are far more switched on than that, and play a far greater role in player development than you give credit for. I'm not going to write an essay here, but I'd suggest people take the opportunity to have a look at a junior club and see how far they have come and the professionalism with which they now operate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way StMary's has had ex afl talent in their football development areas for at least 7 years that I know of!

Based more on what I see coming through year on year Brutal.
Happy to move to another topic though.

Is it possible that players in the northern league could be on the gear? No-one tests, no-one would know. I mean peptides as the roids probably wouldn't help.

Is it possible that players in the northern league could be on the gear? No-one tests, no-one would know. I mean peptides as the roids probably wouldn't help.

Roids would definatley help lol thats why Marion Jones got stripped of a gold medal for using stanna

Of course its possible but i doubt anyone would fund it.

Of course its possible but i doubt anyone would fund it.

I agree and for what benefit. This is local footy and they have a real life outside of it.

I am simply amazed even at professional level what people will put in their bodies....except beer and Bundy.:D

Very interesting day.

Bergers have put the naysayers to rest (yes i was one) after beating Bundy

Northcote Park's loss to Macleod will set them back for a top 3 finish. (not that it matters to them ;) )

The Relegation battle is red hot with another Win to Epping against Lower.

Mont look in a prime position to finish 1st now 3 games clear of 2nd spot.

Boro's loss to WP means 5th spots is very much up for grabs.

Tigers too good. Final margin probably flattered a disappointing Bundoora albeit without Dyson or Farrelly.

Heidelberg starting to looking extremely dangerous, #29 Oswald is a gun and tore the game open, Jamie Allan is the best small man in the comp and Sargeant is very capable up forward. Recruits Lynch, Smith and Treloar also looking better every week.

Bulls’ depth was really tested and their fringe players i.e. Ferraro, Santoro, Young, Brown etc aren’t going to win them big games. Gloury has had a great career but needs to hang up the boots as he’s clearly finished at this level. Moorcroft to a lesser extent should probably go at the end of the season but as he showed today is still as dangerous as any forward in the comp. Tiger's older heads on the other hand (Murphy, Sinclair, Nolan, Harvey, Houlihan, Finn) all still seem to be at the top of their game and with Cosgriff, Favrin and Dale Nolan to return over the next few weeks they should be a massive challenger to Mont in Sept.

I think the loss to Lower was probably the best thing that could have happened to the Bergs (akin to Northcote last year with Whittlesea) and with all things being equal will end Mont’s winning run on Saturday.

Great to see also Bergers twos getting the win as well, plenty of depth at Tiger land.

Very interesting day ... Bergers have put the naysayers to rest (yes i was one) after beating Bundy ...

To say next weeks game is going to be massive would be an understatement. Perhaps a slab on the game wouldn't be out of the question. Alternatively PM me a cash wager. I'm sure we can raise the capital.

To say next weeks game is going to be massive would be an understatement. Perhaps a slab on the game wouldn't be out of the question. Alternatively PM me a cash wager. I'm sure we can raise the capital.

Haha na sorry mate not a betting man. Will be great to see how Mont go on the big ground against a quality opposition. But at the end of the day Mont are still 3 games ahead so I think its probably a far bigger game for the bergers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back