Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at a Federal Government website and it appears that there's a bit of difference on how first division clubs are registered. Healesville, Upwey and Mount Evelyn are all "other unincorporated associations." From my understanding if a club is unincorporated it can't be sued or liable for debts, but individual members can. If so, I'd be asking a few questions before handing over membership fees.

Olinda, Belgrave, Emerald and Warby all must run their clubs on less than $150,000 as none of them are registered for G.S.T. Would they really be below that amount or just a bit lax with their administration? If they are above the threshold for registering for G.S.T., two of them have certainly showed that their ability to sack coaches far outweighs their ability to do basic administrative tasks.

Looking at a Federal Government website and it appears that there's a bit of difference on how first division clubs are registered. Healesville, Upwey and Mount Evelyn are all "other unincorporated associations." From my understanding if a club is unincorporated it can't be sued or liable for debts, but individual members can. If so, I'd be asking a few questions before handing over membership fees.

Olinda, Belgrave, Emerald and Warby all must run their clubs on less than $150,000 as none of them are registered for G.S.T. Would they really be below that amount or just a bit lax with their administration? If they are above the threshold for registering for G.S.T., two of them have certainly showed that their ability to sack coaches far outweighs their ability to do basic administrative tasks.
The Footy can't come quick enough for some
You might be on to something if Healesville start selling hot chicken rolls with chilli sauce that would also align them with mt eve and upwey

Upwey is certainly a registered incorporated association Registration Number: A0002947T and is GST registered

Last edited:

It's all under control, just sorting out the paperwork now!! Actually I think all those clubs are incorporated, not sure what that Federal list is in relation to.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMlAAAAJGY1NzI4ZThjLTg3ZjUtNDFhNy04YzhmLTFhMzRjYzcwNjdhMQ.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upwey is certainly a registered incorporated association Registration Number: A0002947T and is GST registered

Not incorporated according to the Australian Business Register:

Historical details for ABN 53 553 618 334
Entity name From To
UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL AND NETBALL CLUB INC 12 Aug 2014 (current)
UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL CLUB INC 06 May 2000 12 Aug 2014
Other Unincorporated Entity
Goods & Services Tax (GST) From To
Registered 01 Jul 2000 (current)
Main business location From To
VIC 3158 12 Aug 2014 (current)
VIC 3158 08 May 2000 12 Aug 2014
Trading name(s) help
Trading name From To
UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL CLUB INC 08 May 2000 (current)

Not incorporated according to the Australian Business Register:

Historical details for ABN 53 553 618 334
Entity name From To
UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL AND NETBALL CLUB INC 12 Aug 2014 (current)
UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL CLUB INC 06 May 2000 12 Aug 2014
Other Unincorporated Entity
Goods & Services Tax (GST) From To
Registered 01 Jul 2000 (current)
Main business location From To
VIC 3158 12 Aug 2014 (current)
VIC 3158 08 May 2000 12 Aug 2014
Trading name(s) help
Trading name From To
UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL CLUB INC 08 May 2000 (current)

You are aware that all registrations are now handled by Consumer Affairs Victora but thank you for the interest in our Club's affairs-our entry as under

Incorporated Association - Registered

UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL AND NETBALL CLUB INC.
l
Details
Register number A0002947T
Date registered 13 November 1984
Last annual statement lodged 07 December 2015
Secretary DONALD JAMES

You are aware that all registrations are now handled by Consumer Affairs Victora but thank you for the interest in our Club's affairs-our entry as under

Incorporated Association - Registered

UPWEY TECOMA FOOTBALL AND NETBALL CLUB INC.
l
Details
Register number A0002947T
Date registered 13 November 1984
Last annual statement lodged 07 December 2015
Secretary DONALD JAMES

Yes, I am aware that Consumer Affairs looks after registrations. I was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by looking at the Australian Business Register to see how the clubs were positioned for incorporation and G.S.T. registration. Foolishly I believed that Government departments would communicte with each other.

The whole point of the exercise was that I feel for the volunteers who have to wade through all of this stuff year in and year out. As positions on committees change quite regularly I'm sure that the incoming treasurer doesn't ask the outgoing one "is our G.S.T. registration up to date?" I'd also be interested to know what sort of assistance the league gives to clubs as the league should know where the various clubs are at with this sort of thing and be available to offer assistance if needed.

All the talk will soon be on new recruits, hopes for upcoming season and so on. Thought I'd have a go from a different angle and raise off field stuff. And on that, when do you think paid administrators will come into play? (if they aren't already)

Yes, I am aware that Consumer Affairs looks after registrations. I was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone by looking at the Australian Business Register to see how the clubs were positioned for incorporation and G.S.T. registration. Foolishly I believed that Government departments would communicte with each other.

The whole point of the exercise was that I feel for the volunteers who have to wade through all of this stuff year in and year out. As positions on committees change quite regularly I'm sure that the incoming treasurer doesn't ask the outgoing one "is our G.S.T. registration up to date?" I'd also be interested to know what sort of assistance the league gives to clubs as the league should know where the various clubs are at with this sort of thing and be available to offer assistance if needed.

All the talk will soon be on new recruits, hopes for upcoming season and so on. Thought I'd have a go from a different angle and raise off field stuff. And on that, when do you think paid administrators will come into play? (if they aren't already)
A couple of good points.
Somehow, clubs seem to muddle their way through, but it can also be a nightmare - and many get into dire strife. Best to help them where possible. No sense keeping them blind then scolding them for falling into a mine pit. The old VCFL ran some excellent Admin Courses for club office bearers. Better still..
Perhaps a compendium of admin duties, etc., could be compiled from CAV, ATO, the AFL and others. Might be helpful as a ready reference for all club committees..
Cricket Victoria also had an outstanding administrative handbook "The Other Kit for Cricket Clubs". Maybe the AFL could produce something similar as a service to its grass roots clubs. That might stop a lot of clubs going to the wall because of ignorance in management procedures.
A project for Nobby, Smithy, etc to take up with the AFL?

A couple of good points.
Somehow, clubs seem to muddle their way through, but it can also be a nightmare - and many get into dire strife. Best to help them where possible. No sense keeping them blind then scolding them for falling into a mine pit. The old VCFL ran some excellent Admin Courses for club office bearers. Better still..
Perhaps a compendium of admin duties, etc., could be compiled from CAV, ATO, the AFL and others. Might be helpful as a ready reference for all club committees..
Cricket Victoria also had an outstanding administrative handbook "The Other Kit for Cricket Clubs". Maybe the AFL could produce something similar as a service to its grass roots clubs. That might stop a lot of clubs going to the wall because of ignorance in management procedures.
Monnie if you go to
http://www.nfplaw.org.au/secretaryguide
you can download the full secretarys guide which is a full 224 page guide for secretaries of non for profit organisations in PDF Format

Last edited:
Monnie if you go to
http://www.nfplaw.org.au/secretaryguide
you can download the full secretarys guide which is a full 224 page guide to for secretaries of non for profit organisations which they can download in PDF Format
Good get, but I was thinking of something more object-specific to football clubs. The info in there is great, but limited, although a useful resource for compiling the handbook idea.
It will take time to compile, but (as with the cricket vic book) would have sections on managing volunteers, meeting procedures, dealing with councils and gov bodies, financial management, legal responsibilities, fundraising, sponsorships and grants, building club culture, recruitment/player management, membership drives, roles and responsibilities, etc.

FYI (from Consumer Affairs Victoria)

When a club or community group incorporates, it becomes a ‘legal person’ – that is, a legal entity that stays the same even if its members change. It can enter into contracts in its own name; for example, to borrow money or buy equipment. This protects the individual members of the association from legal liabilities.
You can recognise an incorporated association by the word ‘Incorporated’ or the abbreviation ‘Inc.’ after its name.

Let's talk football now

A couple of good points.

Sounds like a good starting point. I was having a chat with a mate the other day and our discussion turned to local footy. He told me that his son (not in our league) signed a contract to play for his club and also had to give them a form stating that he was playing footy "as a hobby," so was exempt from paying tax. Signing a contract to perform a hobby seemed a bit odd to me, so I thought I'd look into it a bit. (I used those Government websites again Upwey Fan:().

What an absolute nightmare. I came across some case law, Stone v. FC of T, that in a nutshell concluded that the money Stone made as a javelin thrower for Australia was assessable income even though her fulltime job was as a member of the Queensland Police. The ATO have a taxation ruling ,TR 1999/17, which deals with sports people getting paid and in part says that if the sports person is uncertain if their earnings is assessable to get a private binding ruling.

I don't think anyone has a definitive answer as to when a player is playing as a hobby or as an employee; it would be helpful to get some direction from the league or even AFL Victoria.

On Woori's website it says that they are looking for a Secetary. So not only do their volunteers have to deal with all the usual stuff that goes on at this time of year, they also have to juggle their responsibilites to get the Secretaries work done. Combined with the above, struggling under 18 numbers and ground availability at this time of year, it seems that some clubs need all the help that they can get.

Same applied with the men in white / orange / blue. Until about 12 years ago umpires pay was deemed assessable income and we received group certificates each year from the comp that we umpired in. Only bonus was that we could at least claim some expenses in terms of uniform, travel, paperwork, etc. Changed one year though to fall into the hobby category now. At least now the ATO stays out of my wallet. Just have to work out now how to keep the wife out as well...

Great Post Local Knowledge. I will add that not only is their very little support with the hobby vs tax decision, but if group certificates are issued, are clubs required to meet Superannuation and Workcover obligations??

FYI (from Consumer Affairs Victoria)

When a club or community group incorporates, it becomes a ‘legal person’ – that is, a legal entity that stays the same even if its members change. It can enter into contracts in its own name; for example, to borrow money or buy equipment. This protects the individual members of the association from legal liabilities.
You can recognise an incorporated association by the word ‘Incorporated’ or the abbreviation ‘Inc.’ after its name.

Let's talk football now

Maybe Brett Fishers business commitments aren't quite as demanding as stated by Wandin. Hear he will be named in a coaching capacity very soon (obviously not at the Kennel).

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back